NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Not 100% related to the PS5 but very classy of Sony to tweet this: 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Goron_3 said:

Not 100% related to the PS5 but very classy of Sony to tweet this: 

Oh man, if you ever want to despair at humanity, have a look at some of the responses to that tweet. So many people saying #AllLivesMatter and missing the point entirely.

I don't know, can't they maybe teach "how to not be a dipshit" in schools?

Oh man, if you ever want to despair at humanity, have a look at some of the responses to that tweet. So many people saying #AllLivesMatter and missing the point entirely.

Too busy avoiding school shooters.

2 hours ago, Sheikah said:

BuT aLL lIvES matteR 

Probably the right thing to do, there will undoubtedly be plenty of shooters among the reveals so it would seem pretty tone deaf not to postpone it. I remember how weird it was during E3 a few years ago just after the Florida shootings, you had the heads of the major companies on stage giving their condolences before screening a bunch of violent trailers. People are obviously desperate for news on next gen but the majority will understand the decision is for the best. 

Google postponed an event for the same reason (although less likely to have included shooters). 

I do not want to read spoiled fanboys complaining about it though so I may avoid that section of Twitter and comments 😑

Understandable and predictable really. Though I remember one on here questioning the move when Nintendo did similar after the earthquake in Japan, it's always a good idea in times like this.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I'm glad.

Some things are simply much more important than video games. Would it have been a nice distraction from the mess the world is in right now? Up until the last week or so I would have said yes, definitely. But right now, I don't really want there to be distractions if it means the limelight isn't exactly where it needs to be. From a business perspective, no-one wants to be the brand that premiered a new console and games amidst all of this, so it makes sense from that perspective too. 

I guess the next question naturally is where this thing could land next, because I'm not sure if things simmer down to a point where PlayStation premiere this thing next Thursday for example. And then they have The Last of Us Part II reviews coming out next Friday before launching the game the following Friday, so if we don't see it early next week (which seems very unlikely), I think this thing has realistically been delayed by at least three weeks. 

Going to be an interesting thread to follow these next few weeks, I imagine. The potential for PS5 game and hardware leaks have just increased exponentially, seeing as so many big studios might have been gearing up for the event.

Look forward to whenever we see it, either way. I'm happy to wait. 

It's 100% the right call to make. It's a little disappointing but just taking a look at some of the comments under the tweet from Playstation shows just how important it is that the current societal issues be given the space to be discussed because things need to change as some people's mindsets are just completely missing the point of what's happening.

Sony's marketing strategy really hasn't played out the best for the PS5 so far in that they've clearly been affected by global events that have forced them to change plans but we know that they'll have the goods to show when it comes time so a delay like this won't do anything to negatively impact what they're going for. If anything, it might mean that they revisit some of what they've got and expand on things down the line.

That point may be the case especially if some of the announcements and events scheduled in the coming weeks take place and this event doesn't take place until after the launch of The Last of Us Part 2 (which I suspect will be the case now as trying to shoehorn it in between the dropping of reviews and the game's launch won't be ideal and the current events won't have gone away by then, nor should they as it's something that really needs to be addressed globally). We're going to be seeing next gen games from next week onwards and may even get some insight into them with magazine launches this week that have been touting next gen reveals of third party games so it might pull away from any of those announcements if they were to be included in Sony's event but, as I say, some additional expansion added in might help bridge that.

Either way, it'll happen when it happens and until then, we've games aplenty to keep us going, other events are on the way for those wanting new game announcements but more importantly, we've got societal issues that need to be addressed and giving that the spotlight it needs right now is the most important thing and so kudos to Sony and others for taking that stance.

Disappointing, but acceptable.

Sony and devs involved in the presentation need to be very proactive now to prevent leaks.

Sony has officially confirmed a new date for its PS5 games reveal event. The event was originally scheduled for the 4th June, but it was postponed indefinitely after PlayStation said that it wanted to show respect for the ongoing Black Lives Matter protests.

The PS5 showcase will now take place on Thursday the 11th June.

PushSquare.com

Twitch ads apparently running:

EaAHiuQWAAEkZUy?format=jpg

So I guess this week we can celebrate the future of gaming again, aye?

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 3

Let's hope so, though at this rate the next international disaster should be hitting right around then.

• Haha 1

Now officially confirmed for 21:00 BST this Thursday. 

Let's get this hype train back on the tracks!

UPDATE: And an update from Sid Shuman, Senior Director of SIE Content Communications taken from the PlayStation Blog...

Now that the event is confirmed for June 11, I wanted to add that this pre-taped program will be broadcast at 1080p and 30 frames per second. This eased the show’s production process during a time when many of our team and developers are working from home. The games you’ll see on Thursday will look even better when you play them on PS5 with a 4K TV, as you’d expect. 

It’s also best if you watch while wearing headphones, if you can — there’s some cool audio work in the show, and it might be harder to appreciate if it’s pumped through your phone or laptop speakers. 

Excited for what they've got in store for us, and very much looking forward to them showcasing some of their 3D audio work. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

No surprise its just a week later, looking forward to it.

"cool audio work", uh oh, getting horrible flashbacks to that flute segment in Sony's E3 show a couple years back :laughing:

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

No surprise its just a week later, looking forward to it.

"cool audio work", uh oh, getting horrible flashbacks to that flute segment in Sony's E3 show a couple years back :laughing:

We all know who was behind that!

ViciousDefensiveBlackbuck-size_restricte

Really that's part of the fun of these kind of events, the cringe moments. Who can forget GIANT ENEMY CRAB after all? A classic.

I'll watch along if I remember. There's a good chance I'll forget though.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Can't wait! There are some rumours going round that an updated version of Bloodborne will be shown alongside a Demon Soul's Remake. Assuming that's true, I'm 100% there at launch.

It's funny you know...we were getting married this November but have delayed due to covid...At this rate I'll be ending up with a PS5 instead!

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

It's funny you know...we were getting married this November but have delayed due to covid

I guess my invite went to my London address after I moved?

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

I guess my invite went to my London address after I moved?

I posted it to you in animal crossing.

On 8.6.2020 at 9:05 PM, Ashley said:

the cringe moments.

tumblr_inline_phfe9yL1dB1tgblk6_540.gif

Welp, now I need a Peggle 3 announcement tomorrow. PS5 exclusive, 60fps, 4k, 3D-audio, fully optimized for the SSD. 

Seriously, give me one hour of Peggle 3 and I'm happy.

That doesn’t look like a placeholder...

That’s exactly the price I’m expecting for PS5.

Series X will be even higher (Probably £699.99).  Will be interesting how much Lockhart/Series S ends up being though...

Edited by Dcubed

46 minutes ago, Ashley said:

This'll kill some time...

I really want the price announced tomorrow just so that pre-orders can be made. Not looking forward to dragging that out as long as possible in the slightest. August or thereabouts just seems too long a wait for this sort of thing. 

I've been putting money aside the last few months for my PS5 pre-order, and based my amount to save purely on a £599 maximum price, so I'm prepared for this potential outcome.

That being said, I still think that £499 is the sweet spot for the PS5 launch price. Hadn't really thought about the potential for two SKU's at launch based on the 825GB storage figure that got thrown around in Cerny's presentation, but if there is a version available with greater storage at launch, I'll gladly jump on that. 

Regardless of price, it'll sell out day one. I'm more interested in how the price is handled moving forwards considering everything that's going on, and will go on in the next few years with the world economy. 

44 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

That doesn’t look like a placeholder...

That’s exactly the price I’m expecting for PS5.

Series X will be even higher (Probably £699.99).

If there's any ounce of truth in this and we do get two SKU's (does that mean the 2TB version would be 1.65TB..?), I think that means the 825GB model is £499 and the model with greater storage space is £599. I imagine they'll very be careful with how it's stated if that is the case, such as...

The PS5 will launch later this year at £499 on 13th November. 

A model with greater storage space will be made available for £599. 

With a special emphasis on the entry level model and price. They can get away with it that way in my opinion considering the difference would just be to do with SSD space. Again, this is total conjecture if there's only going to be one SKU and this isn't true!

With regards to prices, again, I think £499 is the magic number for the 825GB PS5. For Xbox, I think they're going to get as close as they reasonably can with Series X (£549 at a stretch, maybe £599 if not? I don't see the point in price matching if there's going to be a lower priced model at launch...) and if Lockhart is indeed on its way, try to completely take out PS5 with a pretty drastic difference (something like £399). 

Excited to see how it all plays out. Curious if we're going to see a bit of a price bump in RRP for games, and also to see what the price of that DualSense is. £70? 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

Out of interest, I checked what the previous/current generation of consoles cost me at time of purchase...

• PS4 at launch in 2013 - £350.00
  • Xbox One in 2014 (with games) - £250.00
  • Nintendo Switch at launch in 2017 - £280.00

Total = £880.00

And here's the potential cost of the PS5 and an Xbox One Series X...

• PS5 at launch in 2020/2021? - £600.00?
  • Xbox One Series X at launch in 2020/2021? - £700.00?

Total = £1,300.00

I won't say that I'd never purchase either of these consoles but, in any case, probably not at launch, I wouldn't have the money to do so anyway and even if I did... I'm still not sure if I would buy either of them even if there was one exclusive launch title which I really wanted.

I think maybe I've reached the point where I'm fine with not partaking in the next console generation, at least initially. :)

Now watch as Sony announces a brand new InFamous game/remaster for PS5 from Sucker Punch and Microsoft announces Perfect Dark 2 from Rare. :p (yeah, right)

Obviously I want it to be a lot cheaper but I think I could live with paying £599. The prices for these consoles are always going to go up as they get more and more powerful.