N-Europe

Amazon [UK] blocks non-Prime members from buying certain video games

Stolen from Neogaf

Amazon has extended its "Prime-Exclusive Items" initiative to block non-Prime members from being able to purchase certain video games.

The change was spotted by customers this morning, with the PS4 versions of GTA 5, Rainbow Six Siege and Assassin's Creed Syndicate now only available to Prime members, along with the PS4 and Xbox One versions of Far Cry Primal, Battlefield Hardline and more.

If you aren't a member of Amazon Prime, you will now see a box with a blue border on the right of the page "identifying the item as Prime-Exclusive", and will not be able to add the item to your basket.

It isn't yet clear exactly how many games are now available exclusively to Prime members. The initiative does not prevent buyers purchasing the affected items from third-party sellers.

"Prime-Exclusive items are products for sale on Amazon that can only be purchased if you're a member of Amazon Prime," Amazon says on its website. "As a Prime member, you can choose from millions of Prime-eligible items sold on Amazon.co.uk."

A subscription to Amazon Prime costs £79.99 per year. VideoGamer.com has contacted Amazon for comment.

rnZ7hMr.jpg

I've only heard of this practice some time ago, but it hasn't affected me yet.

It's incredibly stupid, but it'll only hurt them. Amazon may be the biggest I think, but there are still plenty of other online retailers.. If I want something on Amazon which I can only buy as a prime member, I'll simply order it somewhere else (or perhaps wait)

I have no idea why they think this is a good idea.

Stolen from Neogaf VideoGamer.com

;)

Anyway, it's a weird move. Not isolated to video games, but a weird move still.

Their tactics to try and get people onto Prime are becoming worse and worse. They added the video thing and doubled the price without giving you the option of having the video service.

Daft used to share his account with me so I also got free delivery and now they won't allow that unless we're married, although if I log in my account still says Prime but I get no Prime benefits.

That is an exceptionally odd move! i could understand making certain versions of games exclusive (like special editions) or maybe really niche games, but this will only hurt Amazon

whats this about a minimum spend for next day delivery? @nekunando do you mean for prime next day delivery? since when? jesus

I just have a regular account but you have to have items adding up to at least £20 in your basket in order to get free delivery on those items. It used to be free whatever the spend, followed by a minimum of £10 and, more recently, £20.

This move is going to help Amazon sell more games how exactly? :blank:

Because if it isn't, which is likely considering many people don't want to pay for Prime then they really aren't helping themselves. :heh:

I only really buy from them when they have flash deals on, if/when those are for Prime members only, I simply won't buy from them at all. ::shrug:

Looks like Fire Emblem Fates Limited Edition - thanks Amazon Germany & Eenuh for pointing it out - will be the last game I buy from them. :heh:

I just have a regular account but you have to have items adding up to at least £20 in your basket in order to get free delivery on those items. It used to be free whatever the spend, followed by a minimum of £10 and, more recently, £20.

It's £25 now. And their free delivery is much slower than pretty much anywhere else. Get something from a decent eBay store and there's a very good chance of getting it within 2 days.

What bugs me the most is that it seems to be completely artificial. You're not paying for faster delivery, you're paying for them to not delay it. They use the same couriers and the same services either way.

Damn what a shitty move by Amazon. Only UK so far?

I haven't heard about this for the US, which they oddly started a program for preordering games (and buying within the first two weeks of release) that lets prime members save 20% which is not insignificant. Of course maybe they're doing this shit to try and justify that.

We've already got Prime because @Eenuh received it as some part of deal or special offer or something, I dunno. So, this doesn't really affect us. Buuuut, it's still an incredibly shitty/shady thing to do. I don't understand the reasoning behind this, even if it their twisted way of "forcing" people to obtain Prime to get the things that they want. It's stupid.