N-Europe

Rik Mayall found dead

Hero-of-Time

Genuinely gutted about this. I loved being a teenager in the 1990s and Bottom was one of the reasons why. To this day, it still makes me laugh without fail. Richie's sea shanty at the top of the stairs in the Burglary episode will forever bring a smile to my face when I think of it, like so many of the other brilliant moments.

Genuinely gutted about this. I loved being a teenager in the 1990s and Bottom was one of the reasons why. To this day, it still makes me laugh without fail. Richie's sea shanty at the top of the stairs in the Burglary episode will forever bring a smile to my face when I think of it, like so many of the other brilliant moments.

Yup. I actually watched them all again last year and they still hold up.

"GAS MAN! GAS MAN!"

Devastating news. I absolutely loved Bottom and to a little lesser extent The Young Ones. He was brilliant, a really nice guy by all accounts, a real messer and a bit of a Peter Pan. I only wished him and Adrian had done more together. RIP and sympathies to his friends and family.

Edit: That Gameboy ad was hilarious. Never seen it before.

Edited by Wii

I have had a huge appreciation for Rik for many years. First saw Bottom as a young teen (the episode without the TV, had my brother and I in tears) and I fell in love with Rik and Ade's double act. Bottom is a deeply twisted, surreal, hilarious show just like their other projects.

I remember we had a talent show/comedy show at school and a friend and I put on a show as Richie and Eddie. Way too inappropriate for year six, but our teachers were in hysterics.

Drop Dead Fred is also one of my favourite movies and Bottom will always be one of my top British comedies. I fortunately saw Rik and Ade live a few years ago after Rik's accident and it was absolutely fantastic. There will never be another talent quite like this man and we've lost yet another legend. 2014 has been bad for celebrity deaths so far and it's only gonna gonna get easier.

Rest in peace. Hope Rik's family and loved ones will be okay. They very nearly lost him once before and although it won't make his passing today any easier, I'm glad he stuck around with us a few more years.

This made me sadder than it should have done:

10366041_696563317071785_3788686211098732075_n.png

Bottom was one of my favourite shows as a teen/pre-teen and I still think it shaped my somewhat crude sense of humour. I loved how he wasn't even remotely good at acting, but he made up for it by genuinely enjoying what he did, or at least looking like it.

As sad as this is, they just showed some clips from Bottom on the news and I found it impossible not to laugh myself hoarse. What Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson achieved in that programme is the purest form of comedy I've ever seen. Pure, undiluted belly laughs.

From the outpourings about this on Facebook, I'm sure Rik Mayall was one of those rare comedy actors that everyone loved, across all ages and classes. If you've seen his stuff, you've probably laughed. Hard. Never really seen as many people as gutted as this.

What a sad, sad day, but what an awesome legacy.

Gold had Bottom and The Young Ones on last night. I especially liked TYO episode, it was the University Challenge episode. Really funny bits in it. What an all star cast it was. The Bottom episode I'd seen more than the other but it still made me laugh. That was the camping episode in Wimbledon Common. The photo above with Adrian on the bench is really sad and poignant.