N-Europe

Hiroshi Yamauchi Has Died :(

Hero-of-Time

I can only express gratitude to a man who shaped and formed the company that is Nintendo, that has in turn shaped and formed me as one of my largest passions throughout my life. May he rest in peace.

In crazy when you think of it like that.

We are quite an old forum in the sense that most members are at least in their mid twenties and some of us are 30 and above. That being the case we grew up with the classic Nintendo consoles and grew up throughout Yamauchis reign. Not only did he shape the landscape of gaming but he essentially helped create the gamer that is sitting writing this message on a Nintendo forum. :bowdown:

Had he not decided to branch out into other forms of entertainment in the 60's and video gaming in the 70's, gaming would not be what it is today.

The only reason I started gaming was because of the 'magic' that only Nintendo could produce, and consistently at that. They are the unique driving force in this industry. A great man passed away today, but his philosophy will live on.

I always remember N64 magazine claiming he was a vampire, his stare turning people to stone etc, all great ribbing that made me aware of who the man was. Sad day for any games fans :(

I believe he inspired Castlevania :laughing:

Yeah, he has really meant something for the games industry!

However, wasn't it so that he didn't really like games?

And help me out, did Yamauchi come up with doku-sou ?

(calligraphy in the background)

SatoruIwata.jpg

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

LZWJ.jpg

To the man who made (Nintendo) the success that it still is today, who never compromised when it mattered regardless of naysayers at the time...

10626458.jpg

...we salute you!

: peace:

He once commanded the company whose name literally translates to 'Leave luck to heaven' and now we leave his soul to the very same place that decided his fortunes.

Good thing that Nintendo means "leave luck to heaven". Now they've got someone on the inside!

He'll still be pulling the strings from up above, like the true master puppeteer he is. Just you watch :)

A sad day indeed. Certainly hope Nintendo find a fitting tribute to Yamauchi.

Yeah, they had better. I will not be happy if Iwata and crew don't have something prepared in tribute! They owe everything to him, so I would hope that they have something ready to celebrate his legacy!

Edited by Dcubed

It's definitely a sad day as he paved the way for Nintendo and others to shape gaming into what it is today.

However, with his passing, what will happen to his shares in the company? Will it remain within the family or be sold off to numerate parties... Yamauchi had a large stake in Nintendo and will have still had sayings on the companies direction etc. with them having struggled as of late and his typical Nintendo does as Nintendo wants mindset, could things now change for the company?

Could they perhaps start to evolve a little more, maybe even start to embrace western ideas with their future consoles and gaming (online, accounts etc)?

Time will tell, but indeed it's sad that he's passed first and foremost.

A sad day , I am going to read my history of Nintendo book and try and play a game of hanfuda in respect .

Today I'll only be playing games which had Hiroshi Yamauchi's involvement, so I'm currently playing Earthbound again which he was the Executive Director for. :)

But I will still be playing Mario Kart 7 later. @lostmario

Edited by S.C.G

I always remember N64 magazine claiming he was a vampire, his stare turning people to stone etc, all great ribbing that made me aware of who the man was. Sad day for any games fans :(

Haha, i remember that quite well. Vampire Yamauchi.

I'll be finding a game in my catalogue which he was involved in and play it in respect of a great man. R.I.P, will be missed.

And i hope Nintendo do a proper tribute to the man who made Nintendo what it is today.

It's definitely a sad day as he paved the way for Nintendo and others to shape gaming into what it is today.

However, with his passing, what will happen to his shares in the company? Will it remain within the family or be sold off to numerate parties... Yamauchi had a large stake in Nintendo and will have still had sayings on the companies direction etc. with them having struggled as of late and his typical Nintendo does as Nintendo wants mindset, could things now change for the company?

Could they perhaps start to evolve a little more, maybe even start to embrace western ideas with their future consoles and gaming (online, accounts etc)?

Time will tell, but indeed it's sad that he's passed first and foremost.

His shares (and his fortune) are going to his 3 kids.

Very sad indeed....everyone should read the book Game Over. It paints a tale of a shrewd ruthless business man who used his gut instinct to make one of the greatest games companies ever, who shaped the console industry as we know and love it.

Haha, i remember that quite well. Vampire Yamauchi.

I'll be finding a game in my catalogue which he was involved in and play it in respect of a great man. R.I.P, will be missed.

And i hope Nintendo do a proper tribute to the man who made Nintendo what it is today.

What better place to start than the original Donkey Kong! It was him who sent off a young Miyamoto to create a character game for NOA when the Popeye deal fell through!