N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

J7zKn0K.jpg

The Prospect to overcome technical hurdles in order to realize the virtual console of Nintendo DS has also arrived. The Nintendo DS features a touch screen and two screens; the software lineup is very rich, the lineup of the virtual console of the future..

A DS virtual console on the Wii U I didn't see coming! Hope they have a decent way to upres the top screen for the TV or it'll look terrible. The next Nintendo Direct can't come soon enough!

Really pleased with the announcements. Lower digital prices, increased virtual console releases and improved game pad support will keep us current owners happy and hopefully bring in a few more consumers.

I really like the Wii U and although I can't see it turning around completely like the 3DS, i'm hopeful that Nintendo can improve sales and provide a steady stream of high quality titles.

J7zKn0K.jpg

A DS virtual console on the Wii U I didn't see coming! Hope they have a decent way to upres the top screen for the TV or it'll look terrible. The next Nintendo Direct can't come soon enough!

I assume (whilst a TV mode might be possible) it would use the gamepad only - it would be able to fit both screens, I believe.

Good! Great to see that they're not giving up with Wii U. Overall, some nice announcements :) DS VC is much appreciated and long overdue (it also means that Nintendo have abandoned their rule of only re-releasing console games that are two generations old on the VC, so that means that when they release GCN games on the VC, Wii games should come along as well since they share they share the same hardware effectively!)

No wonder they set their expectations so low with the Wii U sales though. May is a brutally long wait for MK8 :( That being said, the fact that they acnowledge and are actively looking to combat the issue of their lineup not really taking advantage of the Gamepad's unique functionality is music to my ears! That's exactly what I wanted to hear from Iwata! :D

Those are precisely the kind of games that they need to be making for the Wii right now! As for the NFC game, I'm 99% sure that the game they're referring to is Smash Bros...

As I said before; slashing the price is not going to work. The only thing that will have an effect is increasing value through new game releases or other means. It's good to see that Iwata believes in the same thing that I do :)

It's also good to see that their development focus will be on Wii U this year. The platform desperately needs it (while the 3DS has enough content and support already that it can mostly coast along this year and make a tidy profit for them).

I think it was disappointing overall for the future, and not sure how any of it will entice new players. But some good stuff for us I suppose. Would prefer DS VC on my 3ds though... Or both. And with cross play.

ANOTHER drought until may, but will that be the start of the great turn around? A huge game every month, a big e3, nailing their digital and online services?

Why is the 3DS not getting NDS virtual console?

Seems pretty stupid keeping it to Wii U Only.

3DS has no way of loading DS games via SD Card when using the 3DS' native BC mode and it's not powerful enough to do pure software BC.

It was able to do it for GBA games because the 3DS has enough RAM to load even the largest of GBA games fully into RAM; that's not the case with the DS though...

With probably only donkey kong watch digs and mario kart being released of note for the first HALF of the year (fuck me writing it down its bleak). Just how abysmal are the sales going to be? No one is buying it now. Other than mario kart can anyone give me one reason why sales will pick up?

I thought this was meant to be a reassuring briefing? It seems much bleaker than I could imagine.

With probably only donkey kong watch digs and mario kart being released of note for the first HALF of the year (fuck me writing it down its bleak). Just how abysmal are the sales going to be? No one is buying it now. Other than mario kart can anyone give me one reason why sales will pick up?

I thought this was meant to be a reassuring briefing? It seems much bleaker than I could imagine.

Sales are gonna be in the right gutter before may. It's gonna get really bad.

More lenient with licensing? That's a bit of a poison chalice.

Don't really see anything that promising here.

Potentially, but that's the best thing to come out of it for me. I wouldn't mind platinum making a starfox, or way forward making a punch out, or sees making a sports range.

I wonder why they feel sd is a better VC than GameCube for Wii u. Two screens I guess, but it'll look awful won't it? I just don't think it's a good idea at all. DS games are so good because they're handheld, portable games. I want to play them on my 3ds, not on a giant screen. Everything Nintendo are doing just seems wrong...

More lenient with licensing? That's a bit of a poison chalice.

It's the best thing they announced, IMO.

I've always said that Nintendo should do this, so that we could see stuff like Minish Cap and the Oracles again. A breath of fresh air many of their IPs need.

3DS has no way of loading DS games via SD Card when using the 3DS' native BC mode and it's not powerful enough to do pure software BC.

It was able to do it for GBA games because the 3DS has enough RAM to load even the largest of GBA games fully into RAM; that's not the case with the DS though...

I don't understand this? If the 3DS is able to run full 3DS titles (for example bravely default is over 3Gb!) from the SD card, it should be able to run DS titles from the SD card as well?

I'm glad with the release of DS games for WiiU though, will be a chance to pick up some gems that I missed! Now they need to hurry up and finally release long overdue gamecube, N64 and GBA games, it's a joke!

Edited by M_rock

I don't understand this? If the 3DS is able to run full 3DS titles (for example bravely default is over 3Gb!) from the SD card, it should be able to run DS titles from the SD card as well?

I'm glad with the release of DS games for WiiU though, will be a chance to pick up some gems that I missed! Now they need to hurry up and finally release long overdue gamecube, N64 and GBA games, it's a joke!

No. The 3DS has DS hardware inside, yes, but the way it works is that only a small portion of the internal memory is partitioned. Once it goes into DS mode, it's not able to use any 3DS features

DS games aren't designed to be run off of SD Cards, while 3DS games are. Getting DS games to speak with hardware that they're not designed to work with is difficult, if not impossible. 3DS games however are designed to work with SD Cards from the outset.

That's also the reason why DSiWare games can only run from the 3DS' internal memory and not from an SD Card. With GBA games they were able to get around this limitation by loading the entire ROM into the 3DS' RAM on startup (which is why you have that long delay when starting up those GBA ambassador games). Saving is done by copying save files from the 3DS' RAM onto the SD Card.

The same trick wont work for DS games though as many are too large to fit entirely in the 3DS' RAM in one go. So they couldn't use the same method to have DS VC games on 3DS, they'd have to use pure software emulation instead and the 3DS probably isn't powerful enough to do that for DS games...

Yep, that's how I feel exactly. The slow drip-drip schedule is just killing me and my enthusiasm for the service altogether :(

Hmmm

not keen on the focus on the gamepad stuff, as its medium term fix, i think a short term fix would have been better, by way of a gamepadless sku

but the NNID stuff, DS VC stuff and the shopto style discount scheme were very good

more of a wait and see thing really, a Nintendo Direct is needed now since software drought needs addressing on its own platform

So holding the gamepad verticle and the two screens on top of each other, not sure how I feel about that. It's so unneeded it's weird. GameCube and n64 is way more important.
THIS!! a 1000x this.

I doubt there is one Wii U owner or potential Wii U buyer who has said to themselves...

"You know what would really improve/make me buy this console?... DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE!!"

Get N64 and Gamecube games up on there you morons... or at least announce you are working on it with a planned [albeit a Nintendo style] release date!

So holding the gamepad verticle and the two screens on top of each other, not sure how I feel about that. It's so unneeded it's weird. GameCube and n64 is way more important.

Way more important to a niche market of hardcore gamers. The DS sold 150 million. What did the Gamecube and N64 manage, 30 million each?

Way more important to a niche market of hardcore gamers. The DS sold 150 million. What did the Gamecube and N64 manage, 30 million each?
Difficult to compare handheld and home console markets though, and whether those who bought games for their handheld would want to play them on a home system.

Better to look at, the Gamecube and N64 sold 30 million, the Wii U has sold 3 million... how about we try and attract those other 27 million who enjoyed those consoles :p