NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Horsemeat

Deadly cereal. You could say, a cereal killer.

Seriously though, it's meat. Why wouldn't you want to try it?

Super Cereal.

I wouldn't eat it or even try it because I haven't got good memories of mice or rats. I don't feel comfortable even being in the same room as one. The attachment you have with the animal is quite important. I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel eating chickens if we kept some as pets. Same with cats, I wouldn't want to try it because of where it came from.

Plus, once you have those kinds of thoughts, it's not easy to shake off. Some people will eat anything, some are more picky. I guess I fall into that latter category.

Wait, what? There was a house squished at the bottom of a loaf of Hovis?

Oops, I meant a mouse :p

I don't see what the issue is. I know it's against the law to not declare it's in the food. But consuming it in the UK is not illegal, just frowned upon. Horse is quite nice as a meat, when i ate it in France a few years ago. Out of choice of course.

I do think it is entirely reasonable to complain about the clarity of food labelling. "New and Improved" does not mean GOOD. It can mean "we have a new processing plant, where we have improved our cost-effectiveness by removing 30% beef and adding twice as much potato. The product itself tastes different because it is actually inferior in quality, but we could even arguit it is better quality if we decided that we were measuring this immesurable non-entity on a scale focused on the quality of the printers used to print the cardboard boxes."

I mean, seriously. Anyone see the advert for teh new tropicana advert?

40% less sugar! Because we removed 50% of the orange juice and added the same amount back in water. That's it. They literally say it in the advert. So why not buy the regular juice and make twice as much by watering it down?

"Made using 100% real beef" ingredients: 2% beef. But it's real. Well, it's from a cow, anyway.

"no added sugar" just a shit-tonne of sweeteners. Plus the drink 'naturally' contains a fuckload of fructose.

Fuck it. Fuck it all. fucking bullshit. We buy food in nice packaging but we all know EVERYTHING is made in places that are run like the place YOU work. Corners are cut, people nick pens, nothing is cleaned often enough. People are hired and fired and stuff is dropped on the floor. The whole thing is bullshit.

The whole thing is bullshit.

Yeah... I'm going to have to subject that bullshit to some quality tests. I've got a nagging suspicion it contains 60% horseshit.

Oh man, I saw the rat picture, it was really gross. Imagine dipping that in your soup, eh?

As far as horse meat is concerned, I will have most likely avoided it (if this is the only time it has happened, of course :P) as I mainly ate burgers from some random burger van when drunk (which isn't as regular as it used to be, at least not to the point where i'm gagging for some meat afterwards).

Whilst were on the subject of nasty things hidden in food, can anyone remember that time a guy took a nice bite out of a creme egg and it had ants inside?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2161564/How-eat-Horrified-grandmother-finds-colony-ANTS-inside-Cadburys-Creme-Egg.html#axzz2KdYqUkpU

(Couldn't find a better source than the Daily Mail, sorry :p)

This is my favourite part:

"The eggs were taken off sale immediately and destroyed"

Oh man, I saw the rat picture, it was really gross. Imagine dipping that in your soup, eh?

As far as horse meat is concerned, I will have most likely avoided it (if this is the only time it has happened, of course :P) as I mainly ate burgers from some random burger van when drunk (which isn't as regular as it used to be, at least not to the point where i'm gagging for some meat afterwards).

Whilst were on the subject of nasty things hidden in food, can anyone remember that time a guy took a nice bite out of a creme egg and it had ants inside?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2161564/How-eat-Horrified-grandmother-finds-colony-ANTS-inside-Cadburys-Creme-Egg.html#axzz2KdYqUkpU

(Couldn't find a better source than the Daily Mail, sorry :p)

This is my favourite part:

"The eggs were taken off sale immediately and destroyed"

article-2161564-13AFA0D8000005DC-549_634x428.jpg

I laughed so hard at this picture.

She would make an awesome Bond villain.

article-2161564-13AFA0D8000005DC-549_634x428.jpg

007: Who is she?

M: Her name... Is Agnes Blackett. Until ten years ago she worked as a cleaner in one of Manchester's cheaper hotels. Then one day, she married Augustus Blenkinsop-Wirral, heir to the Blenkinsop-Wirral Treacle Mine Consortium.

007: How sweet.

M: Do behave, 007. The old man was besotted with her - something about a thick ankle fetish. Anyway, Blenkinsop-Wirral was found dead about three years ago in an apparent suicide - he strangled himself to death with a pair of old tights. Of course, the police suspected the wife, but as the whole house had been scrubbed with industrial-strength bleach, no evidence was found.

007: A clean getaway.

M:...she of course inherited everything and soon began buying up most of the smaller confectionary factories across the UK, allegedly with some aggressive buyout tactics. Nothing was proven of course, but MI5 had their suspicions, as did my predecessor. She's now pressing her money against two of the larger manufacturers, and one of them happens to be a friend of the Home Secretary. I don't need to tell you, Bond, that this woman may well be sweet on the outside, but certainly appears nutty in the centre. The last man we sent was found dead, covered in caramel.

007: A sticky situation to find oneself in.

The mislabelling is the only actual problem here. If people are genuinely complaining about horse meat being eaten when they're perfectly fine with other types of meat being eaten, they're hypocritical fools. Don't get me wrong, it's fine if someone personally chooses not to eat a certain type of meat for whatever reason, but it truly annoys me when people are of the opinion that "you can't eat horse meat!" or whatever animal they're in love with. Of course we can; it's morally no different than eating a cow or any other type of animal, so if you're for that, you can't be against eating horses (except as a personal choice, of course). Hell, you know how much I adore cats, but I wouldn't have a problem with eating cat meat.

This. I love dogs and cats, but I don't get this "we shouldn't eat it" shit. Hell, I'd gladly eat human meat, too.

I don't understand all these people complaining. Sure, we've all got our biases about how we'll eat one animal but wont eat another because of X reason and Y justification, but the people who've been begging for cheaper meat and buying all this processed shit are partially responsible.

As the population increases and there's less space around to raise animals, things are naturally going to get expensive but a lot of people in the world doesn't seem to realise this. They turn their noses up at genetically modified this, synthetically created that, but this shit is absolutely vital for our future to prevent a hunger crisis. It's being done primarily to stop the hunger crisis that already exists, but it's going to bite us too.

Pigs can be domesticated too, will you stop eating bacon? Nah, because it's fucking delicious. And from the sounds of it, if these products containing horse meat were on the shelves, they must have been too!

Pigs can be domesticated too, will you stop eating bacon? Nah, because it's fucking delicious. And from the sounds of it, if these products containing horse meat were on the shelves, they must have been too!

I don't think Tesco Value Bolognase has ever been accused of being 'delicious'....

I don't think Tesco Value Bolognase has ever been accused of being 'delicious'....

I imagine you quoted the wrong sentence here, because I'm pretty sure it didn't contain pork heh. Wait, I'm derping out here, my bad.

Every one's got their tastes. To me, most Tesco Value shit tastes fucking disgusting. But for all those people who bought it and who have most likely never had an actual home made dinner made for them in their life, it probably tasted like heaven.

Tesco are $h!t in so many ways. I think I remember eating their lasagne about 2 years ago. It was a swimming pool of gunk. Now I think when I read the back it said 4% beef. It's sold with the label beef lasagne. So while they might be finding for example 40 or 60 % of the meat is horsemeat, it's practically nothing in real terms. Even if it was 100%, it's still only 4% overall. Besides it can't be that bad tasting, horsemeat that is, as nobody could tell the difference.

I saw this being discussed on something or other, and unless I'm mistaken somebody mentioned the british government wanting to override the EU regulations on about amount of meat that must be present in mince, so that there can be less than what is currently allowed? Even currently I think the regulation is only like 50% actual meat!

I've had many Tesco value/budget frozen meals in my life and at no point have I ever believed they contained anything vaguely close to the meat advertised on the packaging. Finding out these cheap products contain any quantity of any animal is a bonus.

007: Who is she?

M: Her name... Is Agnes Blackett. Until ten years ago she worked as a cleaner in one of Manchester's cheaper hotels. Then one day, she married Augustus Blenkinsop-Wirral, heir to the Blenkinsop-Wirral Treacle Mine Consortium.

007: How sweet.

M: Do behave, 007. The old man was besotted with her - something about a thick ankle fetish. Anyway, Blenkinsop-Wirral was found dead about three years ago in an apparent suicide - he strangled himself to death with a pair of old tights. Of course, the police suspected the wife, but as the whole house had been scrubbed with industrial-strength bleach, no evidence was found.

007: A clean getaway.

M:...she of course inherited everything and soon began buying up most of the smaller confectionary factories across the UK, allegedly with some aggressive buyout tactics. Nothing was proven of course, but MI5 had their suspicions, as did my predecessor. She's now pressing her money against two of the larger manufacturers, and one of them happens to be a friend of the Home Secretary. I don't need to tell you, Bond, that this woman may well be sweet on the outside, but certainly appears nutty in the centre. The last man we sent was found dead, covered in caramel.

007: A sticky situation to find oneself in.

I automatically read this in the voices of Pierce Brosnan and Judi Dench. Quit your day job and become a writer for the James Bond series.

What? No, that wasn't a suggestion, it was an order.

This. I love dogs and cats, but I don't get this "we shouldn't eat it" shit. Hell, I'd gladly eat human meat, too.

I considered posting that, but decided against it. :p But I actually do agree, I don't think I would have problem trying human meat. Imagine you're in a plane crash somewhere desolate and have to survive; if some of the other passengers have died, why not eat them if it can help you survive?

I don't understand all these people complaining. Sure, we've all got our biases about how we'll eat one animal but wont eat another because of X reason and Y justification, but the people who've been begging for cheaper meat and buying all this processed shit are partially responsible.

As the population increases and there's less space around to raise animals, things are naturally going to get expensive but a lot of people in the world doesn't seem to realise this. They turn their noses up at genetically modified this, synthetically created that, but this shit is absolutely vital for our future to prevent a hunger crisis. It's being done primarily to stop the hunger crisis that already exists, but it's going to bite us too.

Don't even get me started on the utter bullshit sorry, horseshit that is the naturalistic fallacy. It seriously gets my blood boiling.

I considered posting that, but decided against it. :p But I actually do agree, I don't think I would have problem trying human meat. Imagine you're in a plane crash somewhere desolate and have to survive; if some of the other passengers have died, why not eat them if it can help you survive?

Well maybe I would if I was gojng die if i didn't, but what he said was 'gladly'... :what:

Well, it probably would be somewhat strange, and I wouldn't actually kill anyone, of course. I'm sure O_W wouldn't, either.

... Right? :heh:

But no, I wouldn't have any ethical problems with the eating of human meat itself.

Well, it probably would be somewhat strange, and I wouldn't actually kill anyone, of course. I'm sure O_W wouldn't, either.

... Right? :heh:

But no, I wouldn't have any ethical problems with the eating of human meat itself.

Exactly. Also, no worries, I'm a sociopath, but not a psychopath...

By gladly, I mean I would not have a problem trying it all, even in non-emergency situations. It's just food, in the end...

If I ever find myself in a situation where eating human flesh is my best option for nourishment, then I would do it. The dead are dead, and if I need food, I need food, corpse desecration be damned. I think my only issues would be:

1. I sure hope I don't have to kill someone to do it;

2. I sure hope I can cook it.