N-Europe

Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens

Hero-of-Time

May be chance of a Mace movie too as Samuel L Jackson recently said he'd like it if could find a way to make Mace return in the new trilogy; but if they don't then I guess with such a cool actor as him there's potential for a spin off.

I'm quite surprised if Yoda is the first character they're considering.

Personally I don't get excited by that one bit and it's not exactly something people have been asking for. It feels like we already have a good understanding of that character, even if there are hundreds of years to his character. Feels like we've already seen him in a lot of different story situations... leading & commanding/fighting/teaching.

If they have Mace Windu in the new trilogy, naturally it's assuming he survived that Force Lightning raping he recieved in Revenge of The Sith, he's going to be older than fuck. Alec Guinness couldn't sabre to save his life (probably why he let Vader kill him) but if they put enough prostetics on Jackson he might be able to pull it off.

Perhaps a movie showing the crazy years of C3PO and R2D2 with Captain Antillies, the wacky adventures those two must've gone through...

If they have Mace Windu in the new trilogy, naturally it's assuming he survived that Force Lightning raping he recieved in Revenge of The Sith, he's going to be older than fuck. Alec Guinness couldn't sabre to save his life (probably why he let Vader kill him) but if they put enough prostetics on Jackson he might be able to pull it off.

Perhaps a movie showing the crazy years of C3PO and R2D2 with Captain Antillies, the wacky adventures those two must've gone through...

In the new trilogy I suppose he could just have a Force Spirit role.

Or maybe they could have found a way to bring people back or... it's Sci-Fi they could find a way... but it would probably piss off the original trilogy fans.

Mace Windu is a funny one. I remember watching Episode 2 back in the day and thinking that Samuel L. Jackson was incredible, a total badass. It's only when you go back and watch the films later that you realise how incredibly out of place his character is in this universe and how it throws the rest of the film. Both he and Anakin are awful in Episode 2. Not even just a bit awful, but worthy of an award for just how terrible they are.

The mere idea of Mace returning in any capacity is preposterous and shows you just how far from grace this franchise has fallen. Would rather Abrams used his creative talent to do something new with science fiction.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Mace Windu is pretty well done in The Clone Wars (although he's largely a background character). Actually, every character is done better in it. Anakin is a very likeable character and his "path to the dark side" is done much better here, and a great contrast to Obi Wan especially his reaction.

Obi Wan is captured by Darth Maul (oh, he survived getting cut in half. He has robot legs now), who is holding the girl he loves (yet he can never admit to his feelings) hostage. Maul starts force choking her while explaining how he's going to slowly destroy Obi Wan instead of just killing him.

Now, considering this is a kid's TV show, how do you think this was resolved?

If you said "Obi Wan fights back, defeats Maul, saves the girl and they both admit their feeling while agreeing that it could never happen" then you were wrong.

What does happen next is Maul stabs this girl through the chest then dumps her in front of Obi Wan so he can watch her die in his arms. It's quite amazing how they got the emotion perfect - you can tell how upset he is, yet he does not get angry and stays calm while Maul orders his guards to put him in prison.

Of course, there are some terrible episodes but there's a lot of great moments in the show. It's better than the prequel films. But my point is that even though The Clone Wars is based on the prequel characters, it does them extremely well.

It also does the villains well - and there are actually some episodes which have none of the heroes at all. One of my favourite arcs involves clone troopers (who are characterised extremely well) and a new jedi. None of the "main" characters at all.

Edited by Cube

Obi Wan is captured by Darth Maul (oh, he survived getting cut in half. He has robot legs now)

Not exactly hidden info. Apart from my mentioning it earlier it's been the canon for quite awhile.

But the Clone Wars series is quite entertaining, I've only seen the main "movie" which has Anakin doing some native-American spiritual quest (but by another species in a galaxy far far away).

The Clone Wars Tv Series is a little Hit an Miss, mainly the darker episodes feel very star wars-y and how the prequels should have been done (your spoilered bit is a case in point @Cube) but the bad episodes are the more childish ones, the ones that almost mirror the dumbed down nature of the prequels (some of the episodes with the Huts and Asoka spring to mind there)

I would love for Disney to remake the Prequels, they had potential, they were just mired with bad acting (basically anyone who played anakin) and childish dumbing down to appeal to a wider audience, Lucas went Spielberg on star wars, as far as i'm concerned the prequels were akin to walkie talkies in ET a needless dumbing down to something that was fine as it was

• 8 months later...
Both he and Anakin are awful in Episode 2. Not even just a bit awful, but worthy of an award for just how terrible they are.

I'd like to nominate this for Post of the Year. You took what I was thinking and made it real with words, purty words.

• 2 weeks later...

Lawrence Kasdan and J.J. Abrams take over screenwriting duties for Episode 7.

Rumour is Abrams threatened to quit as he didn't like Michael Arndt's script.

As Episode VII continues pre-production, Lawrence Kasdan and director J.J. Abrams have assumed screenwriting duties for the film. Kasdan, who has been serving as a consultant on the film, is a veteran of several classic Lucasfilm productions, writing the screenplay for Raiders of the Lost Ark and serving as co-screenwriter for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Acclaimed director and screenwriter Abrams' credits include Super 8, Mission: Impossible III, Fringe, and Lost.

"I am very excited about the story we have in place and thrilled to have Larry and J.J. working on the script," states Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy. "There are very few people who fundamentally understand the way a Star Wars story works like Larry, and it is nothing short of incredible to have him even more deeply involved in its return to the big screen. J.J. of course is an incredible storyteller in his own right. Michael Arndt has done a terrific job bringing us to this point and we have an amazing filmmaking and design team in place already prepping for production."

Location scouting, production design, casting, and costume design are already underway on Episode VII. A team of gifted artists are working to bring the latest installment of the Star Wars saga, including director of photography Dan Mindel (Mission: Impossible III, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness), production designers Rick Carter (Lincoln, Avatar, Forrest Gump) and Darren Gilford (Oblivion, TRON: Legacy), costume designer Michael Kaplan (Star Trek Into Darkness, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Fight Club),special effects supervisor Chris Corbould (Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception), sound designer Ben Burtt (Lincoln, Wall-E, Star Wars: Episodes I-VI), re-recording mixer Gary Rydstrom (Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Toy Story, Mission: Impossible -Ghost Protocol), supervising sound editor Matthew Wood (Star Trek Into Darkness, The Master, There Will Be Blood) of Skywalker Sound, and visual effects supervisor Roger Guyett (Star Trek Into Darkness, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith) of Industrial Light & Magic. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, with Tommy Harper (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Jack Ryan, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds) serving as executive producers. John Williams is returning to score Star Wars: Episode VII.

Shooting is scheduled to begin Spring 2014 at Pinewood Studios for an expected 2015 release.

It's about money. I am excited to be able to experience a world where the saga continues... but highly doubt they'll pull off an excellent story. Essentially I believe that if there was a great story to be told then it would have been told already.

It was, just it was done in the books. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Episode 7 Cast Announcement

star-wars-episode-7-cast-announce.jpg

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.

Apart from Serkis, I don't know anything about the new actors. Which, in my opinion, is a great thing.

Nice to see Hamill, Fisher and Ford return, even though it has been obvious for a while. I am curious about Daniels, Baker and Mayhew.

I saw Peter Mayhew at a convention last year, and he was using a wheelchair to help him get around (he wasn't in it permanently). I don't think he could do a lot of action. I suppose he could do some of the quieter scenes, as well as scenes in the Falcon, but I'm guessing a lot of action will be a stunt double (who has agreed to let Mayhew have the credit, out of respect).

Baker...well, we know they have a remote control R2-D2, and I also don't think he will want to get inside him at his age. He may be helping out with the remote controls - again, I think this may be more out of respect.

Daniels will obviously be doing the voice for C-3PO, but again, I think someone else will be in the suit.

Still, I have very high hopes that this will turn out to be good.

It broke the site.

Max von Sydow

He is not going to play a good guy.

Anyway, I haven´t decided yet if I care about this at all. Perhaps some of the hype will return to me close to the release, but for now I´m inclined not to bother.

I'm really not feeling this. I might when we see more but at the moment it just feels like Disney's marketing team are just shoving this in my face.

We know barely anything, other than the actors who are in it. Surely too early to make any judgement?

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but there was always going to be a big deal made about characters from the original trilogy returning. Is one press release really shoving it in your face?