Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2012/2013

Dog-amoto

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good day, Ferguson retires and Moyes replaces him. Don't rate Moyes that much at all. :)

But seriously, i hate fergie, but his achievements are remarkable.

Question for United fans, do you think he might feel slightly disappointed at only winning 2 European cups in 26 years?

g9pepl.jpg

Liverpool fans, all about them European Cups.

Will Sir Alex regret ONLY winning the trophy twice? Yes and no.

Yes because he always wants to win everything, all of the time.

No because you're looking at it the wrong way. It's not something you can take at face value.

I will explain why.

Although the team is Manchester United, Sir Alex hasn't used the same team since the start of his career at the club. He has in fact built multiple teams with various different focal points. There's at least 5 in there.

- 93-97, basing it around Cantona.

- Then, 97-2001, the era where we won the first Champions League under Fergie. There were partnerships such as Yorke and Cole, Sheringham and Solksjaer. A beautiful team to watch.

- Then 2002-2005, the era of Ruud Van Nistelrooy. The team played around him and he was "the star striker".

- 2006-2009, where we won another Champions League trophy, this time with a trio of players such as Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo, who was instrumental to our success. We integrated players such as Vidic and Evra into the team who are now legends at the club, also the likes of Van der Sar.

- 2010 - present

The first team were chasing Premier League glory and asserting English dominance.

The second team were successful in Europe, Domestically and in the FA Cup. The best team to challenge on all fronts.

The third team didn't do as well in Europe, but they were combative in the league against threats such as Arsenal, who were our biggest rivals at the time. Arguably, this team was the weakest of the ones Fergie has created.

The fourth team won the European Cup again and made it to a final, but were against Barcelona. It's also worth noting that this team came up against the threat of a millionaire/billionaire funded Chelsea, who Fergie saw off.

The final team have reclaimed the league after losing some ground to City, and have also managed to make it to another Champions League final, but again lost out to Barcelona.

So, Fergie will possibly be disappointed that the latest team didn't win the final in London and he can count himself unlucky to go out against Real Madrid this year, in a rather harsh way. He has won the Champions League with 2 well constructed teams and has also made it to a further 2 finals in recent years, where he came up against Barcelona.

The clearer way of seeing how good a team performs is by looking at the league, which United have dominated for such a long time now. To win the league, you have to be consistent both home and away over more games in a season. The Champions League, as we saw with Chelsea, can be won but it isn't reflective of how good a team actually is at that present moment in time. Look at Liverpool in 2005. Great in Europe, absolute crap in the league. They weren't even the third best team in England, yet were Champions of Europe. It doesn't reflect well.

Dortmund have a rather unique training tool -

http://www.givemefootball.com/196784-spaceage-training-the-secret-to-borussia-dortmunds-success?utm_source=Taboola+-+Video&utm_medium=Taboola+-+Video&utm_campaign=Taboola+-+Video&utm_source=taboola

Looks pretty awesome, at first I thought it could be easy to do when watching, then reading more about it, ball being passed to you from a random box, at a random pace, at a random height. Get 1 touch to control, then have to pass into the box it tells you to. Yeah my legs would melt.

looks good though!

121116104234-mario-gotze-footbonaut-dortmund-horizontal-gallery.jpg

borussia-dortmund_Footbonaut_Mustafa-Amini.jpg

Good day, Ferguson retires and Moyes replaces him. Don't rate Moyes that much at all. :)

But seriously, i hate fergie, but his achievements are remarkable.

Question for United fans, do you think he might feel slightly disappointed at only winning 2 European cups in 26 years?

Why are a lot of people saying they don't rate Moyes? He's done a fantastic job at Everton and shown great loyalty there too.

Dortmund have a rather unique training tool -

http://www.givemefootball.com/196784-spaceage-training-the-secret-to-borussia-dortmunds-success?utm_source=Taboola+-+Video&utm_medium=Taboola+-+Video&utm_campaign=Taboola+-+Video&utm_source=taboola

Looks pretty awesome, at first I thought it could be easy to do when watching, then reading more about it, ball being passed to you from a random box, at a random pace, at a random height. Get 1 touch to control, then have to pass into the box it tells you to. Yeah my legs would melt.

looks good though!

121116104234-mario-gotze-footbonaut-dortmund-horizontal-gallery.jpg

borussia-dortmund_Footbonaut_Mustafa-Amini.jpg

Stuff like this is the future of football. I can just imagine how much that would help you with control and being able to turn to look for the pass.

SHAME ON YOU.

Also, CBA to quote but Dazzybee is already believing Spurs are going to win the league next season and it hasn't even started yet. That's even worse than usual. ::shrug:

When did I say that?

You're being very harsh on Moyes there. He IS a great manager and has shown fantastic loyalty to his club and has an excellent manner about him. You never really hear of dressing room bust ups or any signs of trouble. He has his team well disciplined. If anybody has earned a shot at winning the league or another major trophy, it's him. He's also built an excellent Everton team that is only lacking a striker and some squad depth.

You would say that, he's your new manager. He isn't great, and he will prove this next season and I can't wait to see it. Roney already put in a transfer request.

Fact is Man U have an average squad with a few great players; BUT Fergie and general mentality is outstanding... Without that, and I can't see Moyes being able to attract the same level oif player, still amazing ones, it's Man U after all. But I bet a lot of people, teams, fans, players, see this as the end of an era, and one where Man U could finally falter.

I've either read about that Dortmund thing some time ago or I've seen it somewhere else. It's a brilliant blend of sport and science.

The pictures of it just remind me of the 'Futuristic' boxing training in Rocky IV

Ivan-Drago-01.jpg

But it's very impressive all the same. I would love to have a go, but think the end result would be amusing for spectators.

I think Moyes has done a fair job in the time he has been at Everton, kept them stable and in the prem which is important, but I agree I can't see it either. I mean Fergie was in a fairly similar situation at Aberdeen and took them to European trophies, league titles etc, so although he took awhile to get Utd going, he had proven silverware pedigree. Has to be Mourinho in my book, Guardiola may be feeling a bit rueful too (not that he's inheriting a bad squad...)

Not a Utd fan but this feels so weird. Since following football all I have ever known is Manchester United to dominate the premiership, must be like the era before mine just accepting that Liverpool were the best team in England. Will be weird, if this does derail them, trying to explain in years to come how Utd were a juggernaut for 20 years. And looking back through archives and records, surely we have lived through the era of the greatest manager in the history of the English game.

And to think his first game was at my beloved Oxford United :D

Ah, a another Oxford fan! Thought I was the only one.

Well!! You kept that quiet! Never revealed that you are an Oxford fan. Makes a change finding a football fan on here following a non established prem team when they are not from the area :o

We may be nicking your manager.

Haha well I'm not one to boast...;) no to be fair I've only been to one of their games this season now I'm living in London, so doesn't feel right banging on about them when I barely get down there, always following them though! :D

Wouldn't be surprised, we started really well last season, he got linked with the Coventry job then we nose dived and only started to pull it back towards the end, too little too late. I think he needs and deserves a new challenge really, could be the man to get the blades into the promised land!

Well he is a massive Sheffield United supporter, he would probably want to go there eventually. But not before getting Oxford up I think. By the looks of things, the chairman has given him one more season to get promotion. I don't think we're far off, we just need that extra bit of quality in midfield and hopefully not be blighted by injuries like we've been for the last two seasons.

It's Facebook official. (Sorry i didn't mean for this to sound like i disagreed, i was joking about how people only say their relationships are offic.....never mind).

EDIT: What i am surprised about is how quickly they sorted everything out a new manager. He announces his retirement one day and the next, Moyes. It seem unlike all mangerial merry-go-round i've seen before.

Edited by 130131301364

Ah, a another Oxford fan! Thought I was the only one.

It can feel like that some times can't it! :)

Yeah I agree, I think he is good enough to get us promoted so I hope that he has one more season with us. If not then, now he's a free manager, lets get Dean Saunders to the Kassam! Oxford old boy who has got something to prove, and we could use someone who obviously has some contacts and could get some good players into the club to replace the few we released! Think his level could be league two for now, and what better place to come...If Wilder leaves!

I'm surprised they confirmed Moyes so fast.... would have thought they'd wait till the end of the season.... can imagine he won't be getting a happy response from Everton fans in the final two games of the season.

My cousin who is an Everton is not a happy man at all today :heh:

David Moyes has always come across to me as a very respectable man so, as a Liverpool fan, I'd like to wish the man moving from Everton to Manchester United all the best :smile:

Part of me is gutted they didn't end up going for someone like Mark Hughes, a man I rather dislike and don't rate at all as a manager, given his previous jobs :indeed:

I've either read about that Dortmund thing some time ago or I've seen it somewhere else. It's a brilliant blend of sport and science.

Soccer AM? I think frankie fryers was there couple weeks back and I think football focus may have done a piece on it too.

I'm okay with Moyes. 6 year contract not so sure about. Would have been satisfied with 3 years. A year transition and rebuild then 2 years to prove himself and win something? Although it's good to see a club put faith early on and fergie is still going to be around...

A lot of people wanted the special one but I think he then becomes bigger than the club and it all becomes a bit of a farce in all honesty. Plus I like that Moyes invests time in youth system which is always the United way.

Time will tell.

As for Rooney he can do one now. Hasn't performed since the last time he had a strop. Let's use him in a deal to lure Ronnie back! :)

You would say that, he's your new manager. He isn't great, and he will prove this next season and I can't wait to see it. Roney already put in a transfer request.

Fact is Man U have an average squad with a few great players; BUT Fergie and general mentality is outstanding... Without that, and I can't see Moyes being able to attract the same level oif player, still amazing ones, it's Man U after all. But I bet a lot of people, teams, fans, players, see this as the end of an era, and one where Man U could finally falter.

I'm saying that because he has shown fantastic qualities for the last decade. He's a great manager and despite being constantly out-done by richer clubs, has managed to keep Everton high up in the league and playing good football. He has taken Everton as far as they can go with what they've got.

Also, lol at the Spurs fan calling United an average squad with a few great players. Love the irony there. You can't win the league consistently with an average squad. Even by definition, it is wrong.

Finally, players will still want to go to Man United without Fergie because the club has a ton of history, has a huge fan base, has a multitude of talent (both young and old) and can challenge on multiple fronts. Players of quality went to City (such as Aguero, Silva, Yaya Toure) when Mancini was there and before he had won the league in England.

As for Moyes' appointment: It's the obvious move to make. Yes, to some extent it is a risk as he isn't proven in Europe, but he will be given everything he needs (including time) to adjust. I'm confident he will do just fine.

Sunday is gonna be huge, Spurs must get the win to take the fight to the final day, if they don't win and Arsenal win at Wigan on Tuesday it's essentially over with our far superior goal difference. Chelsea win as well then it's all over and there isn't anything to play for anymore.

Wasn't time to ask given the swift turnaround but united fans: who would you have picked? Would you have preferred say Mourinho? Klopp? Or would Moyes have been your man?

Disclaimer: I think Moyes is a great appointment.

Though I don't think Ronny will come now, certainly not this season.

Watching Leicester vs Watford playoff first round. Always liked the latter, for the solid reason that the team shares my surname. Saw them smash Huddersfield 6 - 0 on new years day, would like to see them promoted...

Wasn't time to ask given the swift turnaround but united fans: who would you have picked? Would you have preferred say Mourinho? Klopp? Or would Moyes have been your man?

Disclaimer: I think Moyes is a great appointment.

Though I don't think Ronny will come now, certainly not this season.

Watching Leicester vs Watford playoff first round. Always liked the latter, for the solid reason that the team shares my surname. Saw them smash Huddersfield 6 - 0 on new years day, would like to see them promoted...

I'd be hard pushed to go for another manager, to be honest. Mourinho is a big personality and he has the wonderful knack of making everything all about him. I don't think his personality would fit in at United. He fits in at Chelsea as that club is a shambles and he thrives in chaos.

I'd have loved to see somebody like Rijkaard come in and bring in his own style of football, but it would never happen and he wouldn't be here for long term as I'm not sure it would have clicked. I'm a big fan of the Dutch style. But, in terms of longevity and PL experience, Moyes is probably the best choice.

I never really held out much hope of Ronaldo returning. It would cost the Earth to bring him back, and the idea seems very romantic. Not sure it is possible in reality. Miss him.

I'm saying that because he has shown fantastic qualities for the last decade. He's a great manager and despite being constantly out-done by richer clubs, has managed to keep Everton high up in the league and playing good football. He has taken Everton as far as they can go with what they've got.

Also, lol at the Spurs fan calling United an average squad with a few great players. Love the irony there. You can't win the league consistently with an average squad. Even by definition, it is wrong.

Finally, players will still want to go to Man United without Fergie because the club has a ton of history, has a huge fan base, has a multitude of talent (both young and old) and can challenge on multiple fronts. Players of quality went to City (such as Aguero, Silva, Yaya Toure) when Mancini was there and before he had won the league in England.

As for Moyes' appointment: It's the obvious move to make. Yes, to some extent it is a risk as he isn't proven in Europe, but he will be given everything he needs (including time) to adjust. I'm confident he will do just fine.

Fantastic qualities? Just don't see it, and not many Everton fans do. They've done okay, but utterly dull football. I think this is such a bad decision by Man U, and I reckon history will prove that right.

As for average squad, why does it matter who I support? Does that mean I can't have an opinion on man u's squad because I also (presuming from your tone this is what you meant) support a team that's average with a few great players? I think it is average - Evans, stalling, cleverly, well beck, nano, Valencia, all average playe I wouldn't want anywhere near the spurs team. But that's always been ferries genius, balancing a squad of players and getting the best out of them. Some very average players have achieved gat success at Man U. That's down to fergie. That will be completely lost now.

As the man city parallel... Are you joking? You DO know the wages man city play these players yeah? Also, with the spending a billion in fees do you not think players see it as opportunity to win things? Hence deciding to join them? Got nothing to do with your point. Man U can't compete with fees or wages man city and Chelsea can offer. They now have a deeply unattractive manager. We'll see what happens I guess.

Look, if you're happy, great. I'd be dev estates and quite. To of Man U fans are, but a surprise amount are pleased. Bizarre.

Edited by dazzybee

It can feel like that some times can't it! :)

Yeah I agree, I think he is good enough to get us promoted so I hope that he has one more season with us. If not then, now he's a free manager, lets get Dean Saunders to the Kassam! Oxford old boy who has got something to prove, and we could use someone who obviously has some contacts and could get some good players into the club to replace the few we released! Think his level could be league two for now, and what better place to come...If Wilder leaves!

Saunders for league 2!!? Errm i reckon he will go back to Donny mate.

Saunders for league 2!!? Errm i reckon he will go back to Donny mate.

He needs to rebuild his reputation, and what better place to do that than at Oxford Utd where he used to play! (Plus he seems to have been managing above his capabilities so far, needs to get back to basics and suffer in the lower leagues a bit more...)

Of course another reason could be that, some 10 years ago, I went to Alton Towers and amongst all the exciting rides we found a penalty kick competition. A crowd of about 5 people were watching as I ran up and hit a pen like Alan shearer in the good old days, bang in the top right hand corner as hard as I could. I went to the desk where they gave me my score and asked for my name to put in their database. "Dean Saunders" I said. I ranked 150th at the time with it. That, my friend, is destiny!...;)

Man U can't compete with fees or wages man city and Chelsea can offer.

Wrong. Man Utd have by far the best commercial revenue in the league (possibly world football). They piss all over everyone else. Check into how many deals with telecom companies around the world they have.

Man Utd's commercial revenue gives them enough clout to compete with wages and transfers.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!