Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Santa Claus in your childhood

Serebii

So, a friend sent me this link;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2066039/Fury-annoying-My-Muvver-ad-tells-children-s-mum--Santa--brings-Christmas-presents.html

Apparently, people are thinking this Littlewoods advert destroys the illusion of Father Christmas because it says "Mum buys presents" and not Father Christmas which indicates that there are families who just go and say all presents come from Santa.

This got me thinking as to how everyone's families across the world dealt with Santa, whether you got a Father Christmas present and family presents, just Father Christmas presents or just family presents.

In my family, we had the Santa present + stocking filled with gadgets and the presents from the rest of the family

How about you?

We never really had Santa so I can't compare I guess.

We had Sinterklaas (same concept, just not on Christmas), which meant all the presents and candy were from him. Not from the family. We'd wake up in the morning and the living room or kitchen would be filled with the stuff heh. When I found out he wasn't real, my mom let me help set everything up, which was fun. =)

For Christmas we never really did much, just a few small presents from the family (like a pyjama and a book or socks or whatever). Never anything from Santa as he wasn't really a thing around here I guess. Only since we stopped receiving gifts from Sinterklaas did we get proper gifts at Christmas, but of course by then it was all just family giving each other presents.

I think it's good to have kids understand though that not everything they get is from Santa. There might be families where kids get less stuff because of financial reasons, so they might think they've been bad or something cause they received less from Santa. If they know that only part of the presents came from Santa and some from the family, it might be easier to understand why they didn't get as much as their friends who might be better of financially (if this makes any sense to anyone).

My Mum told us that they (they being my Mum and Step Dad) sent Santa the money, and then he buys the presents with it. Our main presents each year were from our parents. We opened the Santa presents in the morning and saved the main ones until later.

Santa still brings me presents though :hmm:

I did always wonder why Santa would wrap my presents in wrapping paper, which was the same wrapping paper my mum would wrap my dads Christmas presents in. Seemed to coincidental.

I was always told that my presents came from father Christmas, but I'd always have a few that were from my family.

Santa Claus was always a nice way for me to ask for my favourite things without fearing if my parents would say no. I eventually learned they simply convinced me to ask for different things and then bought me one of the gifts they "approved" :heh:

I don't see anything wrong with maintaining the illusion for a good chunk of the childhood, as long as it is done responsibly.

When i was younger, it was always the bigger present(s) that came from Santa. All the smaller ones, were from the family. It was fun whilst the magic lasted, then it became better as it were. Now i see Christmas as a time for spending with the family, giving and receiving presents to each other. Love it.

I would have a few presents in a stocking (early years it was an empty pillow case xD) from Santa, mainly toys I'd asked for. Then presents from my parents under the tree, which were usually essential stuff and either a board game or something on the large size. One year we got an Amiga 600 which just blew my mind at the time.

My parents where fairly good at the whole Santa thing, my mum use to post my Christmas list to my Grandad and he use to reply as Santa without me knowing.

Santa Claus was always a nice way for me to ask for my favourite things without fearing if my parents would say no. I eventually learned they simply convinced me to ask for different things and then bought me one of the gifts they "approved" :heh:

Love it!

Like most others, I got a stocking (pillow case) from Father Christmas in the morning, and then bigger presents from the family in the afternoon.

Hate that advert!

I thought everything came from Santa when I was younger, I didn't have a clue that my family were buying me the presents. I visited Santa at the local garden centre when we bought our tree and sent wrote a letter with my Christmas list to him every year. I even got replies! My mum always threatened to phone him up and put me on the naughty list whenever I did something she wasn't happy with.

When did everyone stop believing? How did it happen? I was in year 6 (11) and was apparently the last person to find out. It was the hot topic of conversation in the playground and I was in serious denial. I remember coming home from school that day and my mum, who was playing on theme hospital at the time, told me the truth after I interrogated her about it.

I might be as boring as mother's complaining, but I honestly thought the same about the Littlewoods advert..

I don't know, my sister and me knew about santa but because my sister is 4 years older, I found out he didn't exist a lot earlier than I should - like most younger siblings. But the illusion was great at the time.

My aunty and uncle have twins and an older sibling, they told them all when they were younger that the alarm (y'know when you can get it flashing red inside in different rooms?) that everytime it flashed, santa was watching.

It made a really funny and very cute way to believe in Santa.

My parents always put names on presents, but most of the time, it was more about making sure my sister and I got the same amount/size presents otherwise my sister would make a big deal out of it haha.

I fucking hate that Littlewoods advert but just cause it's the only advert ITV ever play on ITVplayer and it makes me want to die. Not because of any 'message'.

--

When I was younger it was established that family bought each other presents, but then some were 'from santa'. Maybe the big ones, I can't remember. We put biscuits, carrots and milk out for Santa and Rudolph, which would have chunks taken out come morning (magic!).

I don't remember when I 'found out', but it was like...obvious/I had my suspicions but would rather play along. Especially as I had a little sister. I would wager I stopped even believing just a TINY bit around...8? Feels like younger though.

I found out santa wasn't real when I was pretty young. My sister had started school and I hadn't, and my mum took me with her to a neighbour's to pick up a My Little Pony castle thing. A month or whatever rolls by, and my sister's unwrapping this massive gift from santa -- it's... the castle. My sister's all ecstatic and I start saying "no it's not! It's from mum! I saw her get it!" and basically my sister was crying because I was telling her that santa wasn't real, and my mum was telling me to shhh and that he was real, so then I'm all "why are you lying, mum?"

Probably one of my earliest memories :/

Not the smoothest way to find out, jay. :heh:

Anyway, I remember the little presents throughout December were from Santa, and then the night before Christmas (we celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, the 24th, so this was actually the night before that, the 23th) we would put a bowl of rice pudding/porridge (a dish associated almost entirely with Christmas in Denmark) up in the attic, and the next day Santa would have eaten some of it and left a sack of presents. However, it was never a secret that the presents were from family members - Santa had just delivered them. I like how my parents handled the Santa mythos. :)

I don't recall exactly how or when I found out Santa wasn't real. I remember I figured out that the little December presents were from my parents because it'd always be something I needed or had mentioned to them, and when I talked to them we all knew, and from then on we just kept playing because it was so much fun. :)

I... Still like to believe in Father Christmas.

Yeah, I know. But isn't it nice to believe that there is this guy going out of his way to make children and adults happy by keeping record of who's naughty and who's nice? Isn't it grea to think there is this one jolly man whose sole existence is based upon spreading joy across the world?

:(

[GT][/GT]

Who doesn't love the personification of conditional love and operant conditioning? :p

And you're saying the law is any different?

Your point is made. However, not getting presents is not the same as being hurt for bad behaviour. Father Christmas doesn't take anything away from you, just doesn't give if you are not well-behaved.

Edited by Iun

I just opened all of my presents on Christmas morning, still do! When I wake up, I put on a music channel or a Christmas movie (preferably It's A Wonderful Life or The Nightmare Before Christmas) and open my presents.

When I were a kid, I used to leave carrots, a mince pie and some sherry out and then I used to get a thank you note and I got presents.

Also, that Littlewoods advert is the worst advert ever. It makes me cringe so much! It reminds me of when you have spoilt kids saying "Mom, you know I love you and that I think you're the bestest mom in the whooooole wooooorrrrrld?" and the mom's like "Awwww......whaddya want?". I just feel sorry for the fathers in the audience thinking "Ungrateful bastards, I buy them a 360 and they don't even mention me!", lol

But yeah, ban the advert for that reason and the fact that it's horrible and seriously annoying. John Lewis' one and Coca Cola is better.

As for me finding out Santa wasn't real, I can't remember that one properly but I remember the gist of it. I think I figured it out whilst I was pretty young but I kept it up for a couple of more years when my parents decided to tell me before I started seniors' school and I just acted all surprised and shocked but then got over it an hour later, lmao. Parents say that they love Christmas for seeing Christmas spirit in their children and seeing them get all excited for the day so I kept up the pretence a little for them. Sounds corny I know but it kept them happy so whatever. To be honest though, Santa or no Santa, I'm still excited for Christmas. I love the dinner and the family get-together thing and I love giving out the gifts I get for people. This year, I know they'll love them.

Edited by Animal