N-Europe

Steve Jobs Dies. For Real.

jayseven

Without Steve Jobs, who knows if I'd be in the job I am in now, if this company would have existed. He showed that design could really push an industry forward. RIP Steve.

I must say though, what a legacy to leave behind. We all die, but he won't be soon forgotten.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When checking Facebook this morning, saw some ass-holes that already had jokes on their statuses about iFunerals etc etc,

Wasn't quite sure to believe it,

very sad news.

Accomplished so much, just heard a quote on Radio 1 along the lines of, "When Pixar is 3rd in your list of accomplishment's it puts into perspective how important he was"

Not an exact quote, but along those lines.

RIP Mr Apple

RIP Steve Jobs.

As much as I do dislike Apple products - they do have a massive impact in the industry.

While they don't make the very first product of a certain kind (MP3 player, touchscreen phone, tablet, etc), they are the company that makes everyone want what they never really wanted in the first place. Apple are the company which has started big booms in the MP3, Smartphone and Tablet markets (and in the case of the tablet market, they essentially created the market from nothing). I would attribute a huge amount of this importance to Jobs himself.

Plus, he took a massive risk in funding Pixar (which was a colossal loss for years) and enabling them to make Toy Story.

Sad news, not least of all because he was just 56. That's no age and pancreatic cancer is no way to go. I'm not massive on a lot of what Apple do but I always greatly admired Jobs for being the man who recognised that design (in every sense) was of greater importance than raw technology in the computer business. Mass market usability and accessibility, driven by Apple, has been the cornerstone of computing and web development for the last decade and Something Jobs is largely responsible for. He redefined how we engage with electronics in our homes and beyond and for that we can all be grateful, regardless of whether or not we actually use Apple products or not.

Yesterday when skim-reading the forum I mistook this thread for being the previous 'Steve Jobs steps down...'

...only this morning did I actually stop, read and realise. :sad:

While I don't generally buy Apple products as a rule... the only thing I bought was an iPod years ago which now only serves as my alarm clock but damn, best alarm clock ever as it actually wakes me up in the morning! So for that reason I am thankful to Steve Jobs on a personal level.

But yes we should all be thankful for the reasons that have already been stated as he contributed greatly to the industry and even shaped what it has become today.

My thoughts are with his family though as I can't even begin to imagine their feeling of loss...

R.i.P Steve Jobs

And I mean that literally as the man must have worked until the day he died despite going through such an ordeal, but at least now he can truly take a well-earned rest even though it's hardly any consolation. :(

Edited by S.C.G

This has made me really sad...

I'm not a huge Apple fan or anything. I own a MacBook (I had to buy one in uni, otherwise I probably wouldn't have owned one) and I own a first generation iPod Shuffle (given to me). But I have to say I like the products and the way they work. They work way more intuitive than other products do to me, they look so much nicer too. The way they are designed and marketed is something a lot of other companies can learn from I think.

But apart from Apple, Jobs just seemed to be a great person. I've seen some of his speeches online (not in Apple conferences but in universities) and he just oozes intelligence. Not the inventor kind of intelligence, but intelligence about life. You could tell he had been through a lot already, and that he knew what he was talking about. It's inspiring how someone can start out with nothing and end up where he was... and then have it all taken away by cancer. Though despite that he still seemed to work and he still seemed to love what he was doing.

I will also always remember him as he helped Pixar become what they are today. Had he not invested in them, they probably would've never existed and they wouldn't have created some of my most favourite films ever. So he earns my respect for that.

Thanks Steve.

I just want to say that I really am a big fan of Apple products, since so many people have opened with the opposite :heh: I could never afford the luxury of a Mac, but I appreciated what they did, and have had various iPods and the iPhone 3GS/4 over the years and loved the interfaces and design of them all.

I just want to say that I really am a big fan of Apple products, since so many people have opened with the opposite :heh: I could never afford the luxury of a Mac, but I appreciated what they did, and have had various iPods and the iPhone 3GS/4 over the years and loved the interfaces and design of them all.

Well I have to say I wouldn't want to go back to a PC after having my MacBook. I like the Apple products, I just wouldn't call myself a "fan", as that seems like a bit of an exaggerated term.

But yes, my next computer will hopefully be an iMac, or I'll replace my MacBook with a MacBook Pro. I haven't figured it out yet heh. =)

I like their products, just not parts of their business model, which can be really restrictive in terms of user agreements and the degree to which people genuinely own their products. that said the designed user experience itself is really quite something.

When anybody famous dies, you can expect jokes fairly soon. I don't see a problem with it, it's part of human nature to find humour in tragedy. Doesn't mean that people are sick for doing it.

The best one I've heard so far though...

I was overjoyed to hear that the father of Apple had died.

But imagine my disappointment when I found out that Chris Martin is still alive.

:laughing:

Aw thats so sad :( pancreatic cancer... that's just rotten. And he's the same age as my father.... way too young to die!!

All of the fame/money/business part aside, that man is a fucking hero for going on like he did, getting back to work and facing the world while he was in the pain he was in. :)

rip Steve Jobs, you surely made your stamp on the world.

I didn't know that much about Steve Jobs, but was shocked and upset to hear he'd died. It's a strange feeling for me as I'm not usually the type to get emotional over the passing of the famous.

I like a lot of apple stuff, I own a macbook pro and a 3gs (which are both great).

I believe you're forgetting that she's a fucking psycho. :blank:

Or the worlds greatest troll.

Anonymous should totally picket their picket. Could you imagine them showing up at Steve Jobs funeral, only to be met by thousands of coolfaces?

It's strange, I generally despise Apple (although it's more the "hardcore fans", which may or may not even exist, than the products really) but I still find it sad that he's died. He seemed a nice enough guy, plus he seemed quite passionate about what he did.