N-Europe

Royal Wedding

Mr-Paul

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was wonderful, she looked absolutely stunning in her dress, the family looked great, the abbey looked absolutely gorgeous.

The kisses on the balcony was sweet and so was all the stuff when william couldn't look and harry mentioned ''wait til you turn around'', aww it was all so very nice and frankly I watched the whole damn thing!

Also the car bit with william driving. I know people are abit miffed about this wedding for one reason or another, but I just saw it as two people in love having a wonderful wedding. Besides like quite a lot of you I'd never seen a royal wedding!

Wow... :o Well, English history is your friend then!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jutes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Anglo-Saxon_England

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danes_%28Germanic_tribe%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danelaw

Basically, first you, the Germans and the Dutch invaded the place in the 5th century, creating the Anglo-Saxon England. Then in the 9th century, more Danes aka the Vikings decided to raid and invade Britain again! The rule in these parts was even called the Danelaw :D After all the fighting, in 1017, there was a Danish king called Cnut the Great. Of course, in 1066 the power shifted to the Normans, but that's another story...

More interesting facts: There are over 3,000 words in modern English that have Scandinavian roots. Also, more than 1,500 place-names in England are Scandinavian in origin. So yeah, I'd say you have had a pretty big impact altogether...and the linguistic aspects probably go even deeper than that! :D

You can't give all credit to the Danes, they expanded to the south (England) while Norwegians took the North (Scotland).

The end of the Viking era is often contributed to the death of of a Norwegian king, during a battle in England.

The linguistic part is pretty cool, what impresses me the most is that (this is not 100% guaranteed) most likely all of Scandinavia and the most islands in the northern sea spoke the same language.

This is based on all the literature left from that time where apparently no one had any problem understanding each other be they Danish, Norwegian or Swedish.

You can't give all credit to the Danes, they expanded to the south (England) while Norwegians took the North (Scotland).

The end of the Viking era is often contributed to the death of of a Norwegian king, during a battle in England.

The linguistic part is pretty cool, what impresses me the most is that (this is not 100% guaranteed) most likely all of Scandinavia and the most islands in the northern sea spoke the same language.

This is based on all the literature left from that time where apparently no one had any problem understanding each other be they Danish, Norwegian or Swedish.

I wish it were still that easy to understand each other. :heh:

I didn't intend to watch any of it, as i'm not exactly what you'd call a royal fan. But someone put it on at work, and i couldn't help but get caught up in the fairytale of it. It was actually beautiful, and politics aside, how could you not feel something from watching two people so happy together, and having such an amazing day. So dreamy.

I've not watch anything on tv except Mythbusters mostly the last week trying to get away from all this wedding stuff, seen nothing of it :heh: (i also only noticed this thread today)

though I have been wondering, if Harry were to get married... would he get as big a media circus or any at all?

Yeah, I'm not, just pointing out to Danny that the Danes had a big role as well. I mean Britain had so many people coming and going that it can be hard to keep track of who was where and when! :o

I wish it were still that easy to understand each other.

Well how are we communicating now? ;)

though I have been wondering, if Harry were to get married... would he get as big a media circus or any at all?

I think there would be a lot of media attention on it but maybe not as much as William as he isn't the Crown Prince.

People always going to have the image in their minds of William and Harry walking behind Princess Diana's coffin and have watched these boys grow into men. For this reason alone there will be a lot of interest in it. Everyone loved Princess Diana and therefore they want to love her sons too. I think, depending on how The Duchess of Cambridge (I wanted her to be given the title Princess Catherine, personally) plays her cards she could become as popular as Diana was. She will be Queen one day.

I think there would be a lot of media attention on it but maybe not as much as William as he isn't the Crown Prince.

People always going to have the image in their minds of William and Harry walking behind Princess Diana's coffin and have watched these boys grow into men. For this reason alone there will be a lot of interest in it. Everyone loved Princess Diana and therefore they want to love her sons too. I think, depending on how The Duchess of Cambridge (I wanted her to be given the title Princess Catherine, personally) plays her cards she could become as popular as Diana was. She will be Queen one day.

To be honest, i'd think there'd be just as much made of it. Him and William have always been treated pretty equal and that's not forget that William isn't heir to the throne anyway. Not to mention all the stuff made about Harry taming his wild ways and settling down if he were to Marry. The nation loves them both equally, so I think it would be another day off.

Edited by Jon

Well how are we communicating now? ;)

Bah! :heh: No, I'm actually serious, I'd love to understand the other Scandinavian countries better than I do. I feel like I should be able to, considering how close the languages are (and the whole Scandinavian brotherhood mentality), but most of the time I simply can't understand what's being said. :heh:

Bah! :heh: No, I'm actually serious, I'd love to understand the other Scandinavian countries better than I do. I feel like I should be able to, considering how close the languages are (and the whole Scandinavian brotherhood mentality), but most of the time I simply can't understand what's being said. :heh:

Just communicate by holding little signs up.

Bah! :heh:No, I'm actually serious, I'd love to understand the other Scandinavian countries better than I do. I feel like I should be able to, considering how close the languages are (and the whole Scandinavian brotherhood mentality), but most of the time I simply can't understand what's being said. :heh:

Well so am I! English has made global communication possible, how outstanding is that? :o I like Scandinavia too, but Finnish isn't a Germanic language, or even part of the Indo-European language family! With English, I can communicate with you fellow Scandinavians, but also people around the world, and with rather impressive depth too...now that is awesome.

It's funny though...this common language Mundi mentioned was prob Old Norse, the same language used to create English as well. Thus the situation of common understanding hasn't really vanished at all, but just grown to an even larger scale. And it's a variation of the same darn language... xD

Still, it's interesting that you cannot understand what the Norwegians or Swedish are talking about...I mean to us, they all look pretty much the same! :D

Edited by Ville