N-Europe

DVD Extras

jayseven

I would never buy a DVD based on the extras of it (or at all, actually, I generally don't buy them as I only watch things once unless they're really, really good). However the extras on both The Office and Extras were actually really enjoyable to watch. I've never watched the extras on anything before that but I can say the next time I have a DVD with extras on it I probably will give them a watch.

When I do use dvd extras it tends to be commentaries and outtakes, most others dont really interest me. I did used to make sure I bought 2 disk versions of movies so that I got all the extras but now that these days I dont actually keep my dvds in their cases I prefer to try and just get the single disk and with commentaries being my main extra theyre always on disk 1 so it doesnt really matter.

I'm totally not fussed about DVD extra's and tend to just buy the Single disk edition and save a few pennies. As I never watch them anyway.

Deleted scenes are often unimportant anyway and are probs on Youtube if you're that interested.

I don't like watching the behind the scenes/making of features because for me it slightly spoils the movie.

I rarely go out of my way to pay more for special features - only Red Dwarf was an exception, but that was also partly to the poor quality of the newer version.

I do enjoy watching them, though. I'm interested in all the behind the scenes stuff and will watch them if I enjoyed the film enough.

Commentaries are also good when you can tell that everyone is enjoying themselves - the Futurama ones are hilarious.

I buy the DVD for the episodes of the show I enjoy, not some 2 minute reel of the actors looking retarded. I do enjoy watching them and anything extra on top is always a plus but it's never going to sway my decision on whether to buy something or not.

While I won't go out of my way to purchase the two disc version - unless it's something particularly stunning - sometimes two-disc versions of films are brought out seemingly by default, for instance Scott Pilgrim which I bought last night, they only had the two disc version in stock seemingly signifying that it's basically the 'standard' version.

So sometimes there's no real choice in the matter... ::shrug:

So sometimes there's no real choice in the matter... ::shrug:

On a similar note, a lot of Blu-Rays also seem to include a DVD version. Surely this must drive up the prices?

An option for a one-disc Blu-Ray-only would probably be good for some people.

I actively avoid extras. In an idea world I would buy a dvd in a plastic case with no blurb on the back. I'd put the dvd in the player and the movie would play automatically. No trailers, no menus, no piracy warnings, no non-skippable chaff. This is my ideal world.

I usually watch alternate intros/endings and often will watch deleted scenes/outtakes if I'v nothing better to do.

Pretty much this. Commentaries are good if it's a film I quite like. The best commentaries so far for me have been Futurama and Donnie Darko.

Can't be bothered with them to be honest. On rare occasions I will check to see what they have and on even rarer occasions I'll select something. I mistakenly selected cast/director commentaries (or whatever it was) and couldn't see the point of having someone talk over the film/programme you're meant to be watching. I'm not that fussed with seeing storyboards, concept art and the such and won't pay an extra fiver for a disc I'll never play.

If I buy DVD's / Blu-rays, I usually go for the "best" version by default, unless there's really something I absolutely don't like about it (cheap plastic figurine thing, tin case). But generally, the more discs, the better (or to be more precise, the more content, the better). That doesn't mean I'll watch everything, but things like deleted scenes are usually interesting to watch for me, especially if there's commentary on it as to why they were deleted, and the technical making-ofs (not the "making-ofs" you see on television where you see everybody flattering eachother), and the audio commentaries (both the educational ones as the entertaining ones) are the most interesting to me. I do wish though that a DVD / Bluray starts directly with the menu (but not the movie right away, in case I want check stuff first), and get rid of the anti-piracy ads.

I only watch extras if I really like the movie, really like the cast, really like the director or am interested to see how it was shot/made. Otherwise I can't be bothered...so far I've only watched the extras on The Dark Knight in my DVD collection...I only try to get special/bonus disc editions if I really like the movie.

I actively avoid extras. In an idea world I would buy a dvd in a plastic case with no blurb on the back. I'd put the dvd in the player and the movie would play automatically. No trailers, no menus, no piracy warnings, no non-skippable chaff. This is my ideal world.

Your ideal world is the world before VCDs and DVDs were invented :p

If I buy DVD's / Blu-rays, I usually go for the "best" version by default, unless there's really something I absolutely don't like about it (cheap plastic figurine thing, tin case). But generally, the more discs, the better (or to be more precise, the more content, the better). That doesn't mean I'll watch everything, but things like deleted scenes are usually interesting to watch for me, especially if there's commentary on it as to why they were deleted, and the technical making-ofs (not the "making-ofs" you see on television where you see everybody flattering eachother), and the audio commentaries (both the educational ones as the entertaining ones) are the most interesting to me. I do wish though that a DVD / Bluray starts directly with the menu (but not the movie right away, in case I want check stuff first), and get rid of the anti-piracy ads.

This, pretty much.

Sometimes extra content can be amazing - Summer Heights High on DVD is an example. Hours (it felt like) of deleted scenes with all 3 main characters, which, while they had to be cut for the sake of a concise and effective comedy show, really help give these characters life and motivations. Makes Mr.G a very sad character (although that's already hinted adequetely in the show proper I guess).

One thing I really hate is when menus show clips of all the main parts of the film.

I really disliked the menus from earlier dvd movies. They REALLY tried to show off what advantages dvd had over video creating these "interactive" menus and it takes about 5 minutes for you to start the film. Hollow man for instance practically showed the whole movie before it started.

I also hate how you can't skip that stupid " you wouldn't steal a car" piracy ad that makes no sense.

Disney's dvd menus are pretty cool though. Their blu-ray ones are even better. Some have mini-games and everything. Good for the kids :)