N-Europe

Good News / Bad News - Life Changing Stuff

Mokong

Hey Everyone, just wanted to make a thread on a few things going on right now.

We'll start with the good news.

Something I've already shared with a few people here (Staff/Vets), I'm going to be a daddy :yay::awesome:

was thinking I'd wait till after the baby was born before making a thread about it and celebrate then. But something else happened today which I wanted to vent a bit about and felt I couldn't mention the other thing without first talking about this good news, which will also give a fuller picture of the other news I've got I guess.

So before I get onto the bad news lets keep things good for a moment: peace:

I guess the main questions now would be...

When is the baby due?

- End Novemeber / Early December so not long left

Boy or Girl?

Boy :awesome:

Name?

We've agreed on "Oisín Lloyd"

Oisín is an Irish name that I came up with. Comes from Irish Legend/Mythology, most well known from the legend of Tír na nÓg. Lloyd is a name Joy came up with herself for his middle name, which I leaned towards because I'm a big Tales of Symphonia fan (not told her why I like Lloyd so much yet) so fairly chuffed she came up with it herself.

So yeah really looking forward to that event now, he's kicking in her belly really hard now and it's pretty freaky thinking there's a little person inside there, haha. Feeling him kicking though is awesome and makes me smile whenever he does it.... though sometimes he does hurt Joy so he's already been grounded for a month for kicking his mother :indeed:

Now onto the bad news.....

Today at work the boss came to visit from head office.

I'm being made redundant, they've giving me a months notice so still got work till end of November.

Sucks :(:cry::shakehead

Kinda saw it coming though I guess, there was only 3 of us in our office, things haven't been going great the last two years (reccession and all) but this year was a bit better than last year (not massive but still better) which I hoped would work in our favour. Guess not.

Always thought they'd never reduce any office below 3 people, didn't think they would try run an office with just 2. But then last month one of the other offices was reduced to just 2 people so that made me a little worried. As the last one in our office to have been hired it was obvious if someone was to go it would be me (last in first out and all). Boss had been down a few times since that happened and nothing bad happened so was starting to feel a bit better. Thought maybe if something happened at worst it might just be short-time which happened to me last year.

Then today came.

Obviously it sucks and I feel very down, gotta try sort out my CV now and see what the hell can I do next. But thinking might take some time off with the baby coming and seeing that as a positive. I was worrying before about how I could work time-off work around when Joy goes into labour and after the baby is born and stuff. At least now I know I will be there.

Also since I been there 4 and half years will get a decent redundancy payment which I'm thinking me Joy and the baby will go on a holiday to the Philippines in Jan/Feb for a few weeks. We were planning on April/May next year as Joy's been wanting to visit her family and all but figured if I try find a new job might not have much luck if I got a holiday lined up. So figured go on holiday first enjoy that first then sort shit out.

Sorry to hear that man but as you said with a new baby on the way it could work out for the best. Will give you some quality time to spend with the wee 'un; something I know that a lot of fathers would want more time to do before going back to work.

Hope everything works out for the best!

It could be a blessing in disguise in that respect :) You can take christmas off, enjoy the tribulations of raising a baby and not have to worry (too much) about holding down a job. Then, once the tunnel at the end of teh light starts rearing its head, your kid will be extra motivation that will drive you to get the next job - and I'm willing to wager that it'll be better paid than your current one too!

Best wishes to you :)

Hey, hey, congratulations on your imminent parenthood! :yay:

It sucks about your job, but you'll find something, I'm sure.

Just try to look on the bright side, at least you'll be there for your wife and son in his early days/weeks. Be a good daddy while you can, I say.

Congratulations on the baby, Mokong! :D

Sorry to hear about your bad news though :(

Never heard of the name Oisin before and I thought it was pronounced "Oi-sin" but I just read how you pronounce it properly "Uh-sheen" and I like it, it's not bad. :D

Edited by Animal
Automerged Doublepost

Muchos congrats chap. Make the kid's first word Nintendo. No reason why, just for fun.

Never heard of the name Oisin before and I thought it was pronounced "Oi-sin" but I just read how you pronounce it properly "Uh-sheen" and I like it, it's not bad. :D

Uh-Sheen? Wasn't a fan of it before, now I certainly aint. But hey, not my kid. go for it Kongmon!

Congratulations on becoming a dad in the not to distant future! all the best and hope everything pans out for you.

And i'm sorry to hear that you'll be getting made redundant especially at this particular time in your life with Little Mokong approaching.

I feel pretty bad now to be honest.

Yesterday we were all given our annual pay reviews, and this year it wasn't that much to get excited about. we all got 1.77% of our annual wage as a rise.

Well lets just say that when i got my pay cheque today it didn't make a large difference to the total.

now the reason i feel bad is because this low pay increase frustrated me alot, especially with all the bells and whistles being blown by management and higher saying that at the current time we're in a great situation and growing at an exceptional rate. We all thought that this would be a given that our reviews would be slightly more generous.

But despite being frustrated i feel bad now knowing that while i'm complaining at this time of the year due to having a small pay increase, other people who need jobs at this time of the year are being told they're being made redundant.

Money makes the world go around, that's a given, I just now realise i should be greatful that I even got a payrise when other people are hearing alot worse news.

:(

Edited by Murr

Greats on being a Pappa bear, I can tell you it changes everything and for the better as well. I have a newly new Daughter (posted here on her birth) and she's absolutly amazing, I love her so bloody much and I'm sure you'll be the same when you'rs in the world.

But be careful it goes bloody quickly, she's nearly 2 months and it seems like we've only had her a couple of weeks o0 it's weird

Nice one on producing offspring. I'm really happy for you guys.

The name is awesome too. Seriously awesome. =D

---

Chin up about the other stuff, man. You'll find work elsewhere and life will get back on track for you real soon. Think positive, you have a lovely baby on the way and a beautiful wife to stand by you. It'd take a lot to make me frown in your position.

Hey guys thanks for the replies, words or encouragment and well wishes. :)

Decided I will take it easy for a while after my last day. Guess the timing does work out well if I look at it in the sense I will be around to support the wife when she goes to the hospital and for after the baby is born. And we decided we will take that redundancy payment and head to the Philippines and visit the inlaws in Jan/Feb. Will make some enjoyment out of the situation.

I was only just thinking today though, I could almost blame Iceland for this, haha, if it that volcano hadn't screwed things up in April I'd prolly still have a job right now.

In case anyone is unware exactly what I did, I was a travel agent. Things were going well untill that whole mess happened. :heh:

(Only thought of that today as it was in the news here when it was found out some of our politicians who were stuck abroad because of the ash had actually been marked as being present in the Dáil/Parliament)

Oh and I forgot to post this in my original post last night but going along with the babys name being Oisín, and my mention of him (the Irish Legends Character) being most known for the story of Tír na nÓg, for those unfamiliar with that story here is me telling it from my Paddys Day vid from last March

Also incidently since I'll have a bit of free time... anyone have ideas of something I could do for Youtube vids... I really should try take that serious and try take advantage of that Partner program and try make some real money out of it :heh:

Congrats, hopefully everything goes fine...Also Lloyd, now that's a cool sounding name, been thinking so since Jet Force Gemini :D

Sorry to hear about losing your job. Well, new opportunities await then...As for the videos, just make something that comes out naturally? Sketches, vlogs, reviews etc...You're a natural talker / performer, so I think you'll do pretty well no matter what kind of content you put out. Maybe try different things / concepts and see what happens?

Sorry I've not posted in this before now. Once again congrats on the baby :)

Bummer about the job dude. I know you enjoyed it (although it wasn't without its problems) and its a real shame what's happened but at least you're trying to focus on the positive. Some time at home with the nipper will be a good thing anyway.

Sorry I've not posted in this before now. Once again congrats on the baby :)

Bummer about the job dude. I know you enjoyed it (although it wasn't without its problems) and its a real shame what's happened but at least you're trying to focus on the positive. Some time at home with the nipper will be a good thing anyway.

Haha, well without going into too much detail lets just say was a day with problems... certainly won't mind seeing the back of days like today :heh:

But yeah I do/did enjoy the job (90% of the time), espcieally loved putting together longhaul holidays and those with multiple more destinations... finding all the flights to match up just right and adding in hotels and transfers. Or even just flights only to Oz or round the world. Some people would find those difficult to do but I enjoyed them. I think I even learned to use the reservation system better than some of the people who been there longer than me. Especially with some of the more complicated things like reissuing a ticket which most people would dread as it took them ages, again I didn't mind them and it didn't take as long :)

Also didn't mind the benifits either like getting Educational Trips. Got to experience some things I likely never would have before or maybe ever will again... like when I got to fly Business Class on that trip to Abu Dhabi and Oman two years ago. Or the Ski trip last year... while I may go skiing again in the future (assuming I get work again, haha) short of a lotto win I may never fly in Business again, haha.