Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

good stuff thread.

nightwolf

Philology as in comparative reconstruction etc., or as in learning the languages? (the latter is normally called "classics" in England, although it's a general term that covers culture and so on too)

I have no idea what comparative reconstruction is, so I'm guessing the latter. :heh: Seriously, though, we study the languages and the original texts in order to learn about the era and its history, philosophy, politics, etc.

I have no idea what comparative reconstruction is, so I'm guessing the latter. :heh: Seriously, though, we study the languages and the original texts in order to learn about the era and its history, philosophy, politics, etc.

Yep, what they call classics in the UK, with classical philology being the subject that deals with things like reconstructing proto-Indo-European. Anyhoo, both are cool. Will have to investigate the Scandinavian terminology for these things.

But then on the page for philology, it says:

Classical philology is the philology of the Greek, Latin and Sanskrit languages

Which it doesn't seem to be really, unless you use philology in a really broad sense. Ah well, disputes about nomenclature are pointless. Let us return to good stuff!

Spent last night with 3 of my friends in a pub until 3 a.m. Listening (and playing) to nothing but Irish trad and watching people in their eighties get absolutely pissed. Yes.

[One woman drunkenly asks the man playing the flute, So...how many flutes do you have?, heh]

Not sure who noticed that I've been away for the last 2 weeks (got back Thursday morning, but then was down in London until Friday evening). I was in Ayia Napa and had the holiday of a lifetime! So much fun, so much b-anter and so much booze!

Here's a wee photo slideshow of the holiday to the most-played song of the holiday! Totally gutted to be home!

Tomorrow I start my job at GAME in Guildford. Jumping up to senior sales. I'll be wearing a shirt and tie. I feel out of place :D

A bit nervous because it's the first time I've taken a job with more responsibility than bottom rung, so I have to go in there tomorrow and learn everyone's name and make a good first impression without coming across as a dick or too soft. Just gotta learn to strike the balance. I do know that I have the full support of the manager though (he asked me to transfer) and he's pretty great. But it sucks I'm leaving my old team behind who I got on really well with :(

Still, fingers crossed for a good day :D

Trust me. Senior sales is just there to take the fall when the manager doesn't want to. Have fun! :heh:

I've been offered to help a friend's friend with some work he's doing. It'll be unpaid but it looks interesting. Plus he's with the NFTS and it has something to do with the BBC (not sure what) so that'll be a bonus. And his name is Yousif. I love unusual names.

Generally a good weekend -

* Booze Cruise with work in which I didn't get to bed till 6am Saturday morning

* Free TGI's Saturday evening as I turn 25 this year and there is some sort of 25th Birthday deal

* Jimmy Eat World, Biffy Clyro & Foo Fighters Sunday..... was fucking awesome!

I saw Foo Fighters at the Bowl last night... what a show! They were on stage for almost three hours! During the encore, Dave Grohl brought out John Paul Jones and Seasick Steve and they all performed a song together. And to top off the night, there was a fireworks display during their last song (which was of course Everlong). All in all, a successful night. Roll on Sonisphere!

^^ Cool.

------

Got my "second" or "first/final" interview on Wednesday for the customer services job. I don't....think its with the same people as last time (which was manager and team leader of that department) this time it is "both team leaders" so hopefully it won't feel as weird being asked the same questions again. Hope I still do well though. Play it by fly I guess.

So yeah. Fingers crossed for that. Then if I don't get that....then....I'll....cry?

I saw Foo Fighters at the Bowl last night... what a show! They were on stage for almost three hours! During the encore, Dave Grohl brought out John Paul Jones and Seasick Steve and they all performed a song together. And to top off the night, there was a fireworks display during their last song (which was of course Everlong). All in all, a successful night. Roll on Sonisphere!

Incredible night!

when they sang 'Best of you' and the crowd just kept repeating the 'Woah oah' bit even after the song ended.

and the fact that all 65,000 people were singing, it was just something else.

unbelievable show!

knackered now though, didn't get home till 2am, in work for 7 :blank:

Incredible night!

when they sang 'Best of you' and the crowd just kept repeating the 'Woah oah' bit even after the song ended.

and the fact that all 65,000 people were singing, it was just something else.

unbelievable show!

knackered now though, didn't get home till 2am, in work for 7 :blank:

Such a good atmosphere!

A couple of my mates were working night shifts after the show had finished! As in they were working midnight til 7 that night! I honestly don't know how they had the energy! (I should point out that we only ten miles away. They still ended up being late for work though!)

Jim and I wanted to see the Foo Fighters, but we had no luck in getting tickets. =(

Good day today! Dad gave me money "for my good grades" (but realistically because he had paid for my sister's festival ticket, so to be fair he had to give me money too). I spent pretty much all of it on clothes today, yay. Trousers, a scarf, two tops and a cardigan. Good haul! =)

I found an uneaten jelly snake earlier that tasted all the nicer for being old and withered; just like the best wines, I find that cheap confectionery only gets better with age. I'm not actually fond of much wine unless it has some sort of chav stamp to assure me it won't be overly potent, like 'Lambrini' or that one called 'Chantelle', you know a drink with a name befitting underage pregnant women is going to taste great.

But yeah, why was my day actually great? I found out I'd passed my course! To celebrate I've emptied my cupboard of unfinished, drafted, resubbed and just shit articles/essays/assignments. Now I just need to find my lighter and some petrol, I'll report back later on how well it went. (I jest, fires are only for The Prodigy and yobbish school kids, right?)