Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

good stuff thread.

nightwolf

I have a three day weekend.

Ha! Will have a four day weekend from Thursday 'til Sunday :p

Probably going out to party on Wednesday, definitely going to a birthday party on Friday.

There will be fun, people I like, food and booze :yay:

I haz a happy.

tumblr_mepv4t5HCc1r4cfazo1_250.gif

After my week off I was welcomed with 'You've lost most of your hours, sorry!'. You see, I'm contracted 16, but have been working 39 for like 4 months now. The same has happened before though, so I know what to expect I suppose. But wait, I don't need to go to the Bad Stuff thread because things picked up anyway.

We finished at 7.30 (because bank holiday) and so my co-worker suggested we go back to hers for a CHER NIGHT. Alas, beer and Cher films made for a great return to work.

Well, the film wasn't great but the inclusion of Bob Hoskins made up for it! Also, pizza.

Yesterday consisted of an hour's uphill trek to Dan and @Emma's, wherein I discovered the wonders of barbecued halloumi, amongst other things, in the baking sunlight. Then got into an awesome social interaction/mistrust game called The Resistance.

Then on to see a local (or ex-local) little folk-indie-pop band, which was unfortunately missing 3/5 of it's members but we got this comfy sofa dead opposite the performance, which was nice.

Then went to see Bill Bailey at the city hall, which was brilliant, back on top form, and was sitting about 6ft from the stage :)

This was a good bank holiday.

Finally managed to get a meeting with my supervisor about putting in my Ph.D. application. Went over my rough draft of my proposal and as he seems to think there's plenty of scope for the kind of research I'm outlining so has said 'Go for it!'.

So happy that I've got the go ahead on this and that he's sorting out a reference for me. Just need to hear back from one of the other people I got in contact with for a reference now and should be able to get things sorted for submission on Friday. Was a little worried that things would go down the pan but luckily they haven't.

A little annoying that he's done with my proposal what he did with my dissertation research this year and pretty much said he doesn't understand how I'd get at what I'm interested in/how you'd test it but that perhaps fuels the idea that I'm maybe a bit more knowledgeable on this particular subject than he is (as was the case before doing my literature review where he finally realised I do know what I'm talking about for my dissertation), so another good thing there :D

Nice thing happened today (for a change!). I spotted something on the systems at work, which led to a BIG staff meeting (of like 6 people) and meant a new thing had to be set up. Why's this good? Saved teh company thousands of pounds and man-hours and prevented over 500 customers from losing out on (potentially) hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Felt good to do so much for £7 an hour.

:(

People, I am happy.

For the first time in months I am truly happy.

I have work until the end of June, maybe the end of July and will go to university in October.

More importantly, I now fully realize exactly what I have done. I mean, I know what I have done - you know: quit my job to do something else later this year.

But I understand now what this decision has done to me. And it's very simple. Just look at the very first to lines of this post.

I've gone through some shit this year. Still struggling with my father's death, being left by my ex, working at a job I didn't enjoy, doubting whether I was making the right choices in life.

I was miserable, unhappy and not appreciating life itself.

It changed, I changed.

Hello world! :)

Nice thing happened today (for a change!). I spotted something on the systems at work, which led to a BIG staff meeting (of like 6 people) and meant a new thing had to be set up. Why's this good? Saved teh company thousands of pounds and man-hours and prevented over 500 customers from losing out on (potentially) hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Felt good to do so much for £7 an hour.

:(

But things like this will be remembered. It'll be like 'hey y'know Jayseven saw that right? Why are we not hiring him?!'

Its only a little thing, but I upgraded the RAM on my PC, it now runs that little bit faster and is also strangely quieter. Happy days. :grin:

Heather has ordered her wedding dress. It's being made for her, will be ready by October....

DJ booked today.

Caterer was booked beginning of the week.

Shits getting real and it's still 11 months away.

Heather has ordered her wedding dress. It's being made for her, will be ready by October....

DJ booked today.

Caterer was booked beginning of the week.

Shits getting real and it's still 11 months away.

How did you go about finding and booking your DJ? What was it you were looking for?

/market research

How did you go about finding and booking your DJ? What was it you were looking for?

/market research

Pretty much just seeing them in action. We've been to a few weddings & parties in which DJ's have been booked.

Each time we went to an event we were kind of judging each DJ, In the end opted going for one who did a wedding we attended, and we found out he was DJ'ing a pub once a week, so stopped by on odd weeks to spy, and thought he was good.

Spoke with him, asked him what sort of music he played, how willing to take requests he was, would he be willing to perhaps shy away from a traditional playlist for a wedding as we have a few ideas in mind for our own, and he was happy to go along with what we want.

Pretty much just seeing them in action. We've been to a few weddings & parties in which DJ's have been booked.

Each time we went to an event we were kind of judging each DJ, In the end opted going for one who did a wedding we attended, and we found out he was DJ'ing a pub once a week, so stopped by on odd weeks to spy, and thought he was good.

Spoke with him, asked him what sort of music he played, how willing to take requests he was, would he be willing to perhaps shy away from a traditional playlist for a wedding as we have a few ideas in mind for our own, and he was happy to go along with what we want.

Thanks mate. My friend and I do a fair bit of mobile DJing and are looking to break into the wedding market.

Remember, he's your DJ. Get home told what sort of tunes you want. What we like is when we get given a playlist of music from the client. We can then base other music around what you give us.

On the night we can very quickly see what is going down well and play more of that, interspersing it with your own music.

Very rarely does work stuff turn out to be super cool, but today two things happened...

Firstly I was asked if I'd mind working at E3, of course I'd rather not but a friend needed help so I said sure thing. A few minutes later I get an email confirming that I'll be ok to work on the Nintendo booth. Which if it's anything like last year means working with the cutest girls at the show.

Then, a little while later, my boss gave me the following, brand new and never opened:

8725590622_2e561f77a1_c.jpg

Not a bad day in the office.

Firstly I was asked if I'd mind working at E3' date=' of course I'd rather not [/quote']

Well, I'd do it for you...

Which if it's anything like last year means working with the cutest girls at the show.

..I will do it for you!

20192022.jpg

Very rarely does work stuff turn out to be super cool' date=' but today two things happened...

Firstly I was asked if I'd mind working at E3, of course I'd rather not but a friend needed help so I said sure thing. A few minutes later I get an email confirming that I'll be ok to work on the Nintendo booth. Which if it's anything like last year means working with the cutest girls at the show.

Then, a little while later, my boss gave me the following, brand new and never opened:

8725590622_2e561f77a1_c.jpg

Not a bad day in the office.

Get me a QA job at your work? :love:

I had a pretty bad week again, one of my superiors tried to get me into trouble today. But its fine as my manager is awesome - thats nice to have my weekend started with my boss being all 'don't worry, I got this, you're good!'.

So now I have cider to celebrate the weekend and next week I'll be celebrating 6 months in QA. :D

Had a great night :) The birthday party was good, but a bit short. Was at home at around 3 in the morning.

Well, tonight I'll probably be going out again. :D

Edit: I still remember the lyrics to the first Pokemon theme song (in German of course :p).

We were singing it last night. It was amazing :D

Edited by drahkon