N-Europe

General Retro Discussion

tapedeck

On 9/1/2024 at 9:20 PM, S.C.G said:

I'd say definitely don't bin it, as it can be fixed with a new spring and contact, though it would take a little bit of doing, but assuming it comes apart easily enough, it could be fixable.

If you didn't want to fix it, and were considering binning it though, I'd pay postage cost, I might even be interested in some of the other LCD games, so PM me if you like, but if you want to eBay them all, then I understand.

Either way, I'm happy to offer advice if I can.

Also, as it happens, I've got a similar thing to fix with a GameBoy, as it's missing a spring in the battery compartment, but I'm pretty sure it could be fixed with a replacement spring, hopefully.

Thanks for the advice, that’s really useful and much appreciated.

Reading up I’m worried I’ll make a dogs dinner out of fixing it, so if you would like it then I’m happy to send it to you. I’ll drop you a PM (no pressure so if you change your mind it’s no problem).

I’ve got a Space Adventure LCD game that’s on eBay finishing tonight, although no bids yet though and it’s the 2nd time of asking with no bids.

I’ve got Sonic 2 by Tiger which I think I will put on eBay. If nothing else, I recorded some gameplay of it working and I want other people to suffer the horrendously repetitive and grating music that I had to experience! 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

Thanks for the advice, that’s really useful and much appreciated.

Reading up I’m worried I’ll make a dogs dinner out of fixing it, so if you would like it then I’m happy to send it to you. I’ll drop you a PM (no pressure so if you change your mind it’s no problem).

I’ve got a Space Adventure LCD game that’s on eBay finishing tonight, although no bids yet though and it’s the 2nd time of asking with no bids.

I’ve got Sonic 2 by Tiger which I think I will put on eBay. If nothing else, I recorded some gameplay of it working and I want other people to suffer the horrendously repetitive and grating music that I had to experience! 😂

Man, those Subbuteo toys take me back. :D 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Man, those Subbuteo toys take me back. :D 

Haha! Tell me about it!  My parents produced a box of old games they’d found in their loft.  They find it hard to throw things away!

I got my daughter to try some of the games to make sure everything still worked/was there.  She managed 5mins of the LCD games before she got bored! 😂

Disappointingly though when selling the Subbuteo, my team Exeter went for just half the price of our rivals Torquay!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Why hell is Pokemon Box going for such a crazy amount? Is it the only way to get Pokemon from the original hardware into the modern games or something? 

eBay

I'm half tempted to sell my copy. :laughing:

Absolutely not. It only connects with the GBA games, so you can't transfer them to the DS onwards through this.

It's only actual use is if you wanted to keep your Pokémon, but wanted to start a fresh save on a GBA game.

I imagine it's more of a case of it not selling very well, so it's pretty rare.

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Absolutely not. It only connects with the GBA games, so you can't transfer them to the DS onwards through this.

It's only actual use is if you wanted to keep your Pokémon, but wanted to start a fresh save on a GBA game.

I imagine it's more of a case of it not selling very well, so it's pretty rare.

Don't think it was even sold over here. Pretty sure I got my copy by using Star Points on the old Club Nintendo site 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Don't think it was even sold over here. Pretty sure I got my copy by using Star Points on the old Club Nintendo site 

Ah yes, that would probably be it.

Limited edition? Pokémon title? Yeah, that's gonna balloon the "value".

The free memory card you got was the only thing going for it, honestly. And that's coming from Uber Pokénerd me. Not even I bothered spending stars on this waste of space. The GBA games have plenty space in-game already.

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

I have the one that came with Colosseum. Is it worth anything yet? :D 

Randomly saw one of those trying to be sold for 160 quid from a quick Google search.

It's with the copy of Colosseum itself, mind you.

Edited by Glen-i

57 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

I have the one that came with Colosseum. Is it worth anything yet? :D 

I didn't even know it was sold as a double pack. As Glen said, yeah it looks to be worth around £150.

Even Pokemon Channel sells for quite a bit. To be fair, at least there's more to do on that than Pokemon Box.

Pokemon Box got released in two different forms in Europe.  First way to get it was via the Pokemon Colosseum Mega Pak, which was a console bundle (Desperate Nintendo did desperate things back way back in the GCN era!) that included a black Gamecube, Pokemon Colosseum, Pokemon Box (as a loose disc), a Memory Card 251 and a GBA-GCN Link cable.

pokemon-gamecube-console.jpg?lossy=1&str

Actually would've been a really nice bundle if you were in the market for a Gamecube back in mid 2004

The other form was as a standalone release, which was only available via the Nintendo VIP 24/7 service (the precursor to Club Nintendo; crazy to think that the UK was the very first region around the world to get a loyalty reward service from Nintendo!).  This version came in an actual box and is worth substantially more on the second-hand market as a result...

s-l1600.webp

Pokemon Box Box

Standalone PAL copies of Pokemon Box typically go for anywhere between £150-300, depending on condition and how complete they are, while loose discs from the Mega Pak can go between £65-85... That being said though... a complete Pokemon Mega Pak console bundle has been known to go for a whopping £400!

So concludes this episode of eBay Watch :p

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Hmm. Seems there's a third option because mine is a second disc inside Colosseum and I don't/ didn't get the GameCube bundle.

You probably got it second hand then? Because there was no other way to gett that.

I wonder if that original owner is kicking themselves now?

34 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You probably got it second hand then? Because there was no other way to gett that.

I wonder if that original owner is kicking themselves now?

Good point. This is going back a while, but I would have got it at launch or thereabouts, and to my knowledge it was not second hand. There must have been a site or shop selling the game and GameCube separately as new. 

Not the "game" I would have been expecting to be worth anything. Here's hoping the price keeps rising.