NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Seriously, didn't want to create a new thread for this title but this is a good idea in the long run, (hopefully!)

So I came across this and can't believe how awesome it is!

I've always adored Yoshi's Island and it shocked me. However, I was taken aback by my memory and how much depth a lot of retro games had.

Can anyone else share some insights into cool easter eggs in retro games?

I always remember leaving the title screen rolling on DKC and it would do just that...start rolling!

Creepy!

Before entering I was like Yay! Retro Discussion I'mma talk about Yoshi's Island. :D

And I've already been beaten. :o

I played that game to death. :heart: On GBA though since I'm still one of the young ones. It was the game my mum and dad got me for my GBA on birthday, in New York. :grin: Fond memories!

One of my favourite easter eggs is the ability to shoot up to the top of the castle in mario 64 and see yoshi.

At the time it made everything worthwhile for some reason :)

LMD? Luigi, Mario, Donkey? Confused. Is that a dodgy Atari version as DK is on the RH side and the graphics are dodgy in relation to the arcade version. I'm sure I had a similar version when I was a lad.

I'm a fan of this one:

streetfighter2turbo_snes.jpg

Dhalsim is hidden in E.Honda's hundred hand slap. He is doing a Yoga pose. Floating in mid air, legs crossed and praying. You can see Dhalsim's knee below E.Honda's arm pit.

Edited by tapedeck
Automerged Doublepost

This is insane:

Landon Dyer was the developer of the Donkey Kong port for the Atari 400 and 800. Like any hard-working proud code writer, he wanted to leave a tiny piece of him behind inside the game that would immortalize him in game legend. That piece of him was hidden for a score and six years before Don Hodges dug it up just the other day using an emulator.

According to Hodges, you can make Dyer’s initials “LMD†appear on the title screen by setting a high score that has the numbers 37,000, 73,000, or 77,000 in it. The other digits in the score can be anything (they don’t have to be “0″s). Once the player has the score, he or she must use up the remaining lives, but the last death MUST BE due to falling. Then set the difficulty to 4 by pressing the option button three times. Finally, wait for the game to demo screen to pass and then “LMD†will appear on the title screen.

Source

I'm intrigued by the Dhalsim thing. Any chance you could download / upload that pic tapedeck?

I'm intrigued by the Dhalsim thing. Any chance you could download / upload that pic tapedeck?

Done.

Ah, I remember the DK thing! Totally forgot. Uber cool though :D

Another one (probably known the world over!)

Has no-one else got any retro treats/hidden information etc??

Edited by tapedeck

I see Dhalsim now. The next logical question is does it look like that in game?

I was just reading this Star Fox 64 thing on Destructiod and learned something very cool.

The game had a bonus system for taking down multiple enemies with a single charged blast (the little "HIT +x" that pops up). This was essential for racking up a high score. Timing and precise aiming were key: for example, two pairs of enemy fighters show up, then fly in a random pattern before moving close together for a few seconds; firing a charged blast at that exact time would take down all four at once and get a "HIT +4" bonus. There was an even a relatively hidden trick that gave even more points: if you fired a charged shot without locking on, it would give an extra point bonus. This would even work for single enemies, giving a "HIT +1". Often you would have to aim off target (hitting the ground, or a wall) to take out the most enemies at once. So, you pretty much had to use the freefire charged shot all the time, requiring memorization of the precise time when the shot was charged but before it could lock on.

Like the guy who wrote that article, I too became pretty obsessed (though I would say in a good way!) with Lylat Wars. I knew what levels to go through when aiming for a great score, I had a lot of enemy patterns memorised (as well as the in game dialogue :grin:) and would know what ones could be picked off here and there before they even appeared on the screen. I did NOT know about that extra +1 you could get that I bolded above. :o

I first aimed to beat his [friend who he first borrowed Star Fox 64 from] high score, which took me several weeks. However, I made the mistake of putting the initials "HAH" for my high score instead of my initials, so a few weeks after I returned the game to him, he claimed that he was the one that got that score! Filled with rage, I borrowed the game again, and became even more of an expert at it. I made sure to take the top score back (and immediately informed him that I did so, and what initials I used), and proceeded to wipe out all of his remaining scores from the top 10, which effectively removed any traces that he had ever played.

:laughing: I would have done the exact same thing.

Excellent find Darkster. I love Lylat Wars and never knew that. Remember really struggling for some medals and that would have certainly helped.

Best quote in Lylat Wars?? I LOVED the intro "I see 'em up ahead, let's rock and roll!'

Excellent find Darkster. I love Lylat Wars and never knew that. Remember really struggling for some medals and that would have certainly helped.

Best quote in Lylat Wars?? I LOVED the intro "I see 'em up ahead, let's rock and roll!'

"I can't believe I lost to this scum!" and "My emperor.. I've faaaaiiillleedd you!" spring to mind instantly :hehe:

I have quotes from Lylat Wars locked within my brain! :D

It's about time you showed up fox your the only hope for this world!

Too bad Dad's not here to see ya FAIL.

If I go down, I'm taking you with me!

Location confirmed. Sending supplies.

and of course: Do a barrel roll! :grin:

From the top of my head. I love Lylat Wars. :heart:

Like Coolness Bears, I've the entire script of Lylat Wars locked away in my memory. Anyone ever notice at the boss in Sector X, Falco goes "What the heck, Fox look behind you!" but due to the cartridge quality sound recording (or maybe it was just my TV), it always sounded like he swore instead of saying Fox.

I read this thing at Gamesradar over the weekend, I didn't know Wolf "I can't let you do that, Starfox" O'Donnell was an Internet hero!

starbucks--article_image.jpg

starwolf-screwthat--article_image.jpg

OMFG. The genius' that are the 3 DKC composers are getting back together to deliver a special remix for the OC Remix DKC2 project. I just .... fap, fap fap...

And why don't we have a DKC thread? Is it because it would consist of myself, Darksnowman and Rez imploding?

anyway...

OSV: I’m not taking away anything from the other artists as I know there are some extremely talented people on this project, but the most exciting members for fans is probably Dave Wise, Grant Kirkhope and Robin Beanland appearing together to arrange a track from the game score Wise was responsible for in the first place. Tell us a bit about getting them aboard for this.

Taucer: Really, I just invited Wise on a whim. He had done an interview with OCR awhile earlier, and I knew he was a fan of the whole remixing scene, so I thought “wouldn’t it be cool to get him to do a mix?” So I e-mailed him to let him know about the project and see if he was interested. His first response was something along the lines of “perhaps if I have time — we’ll see.” I e-mailed him a couple weeks later to follow up, and this time he responded that he’d already gotten a decent start, and that his mix was going to feature live guitars by Grant Kirkhope and live trumpets by Robin Beanland.

Further info on the DKC2 Project

That DKC 2 remix project sounds fantastic. :love:

And why don't we have a DKC thread? Is it because it would consist of myself, Darksnowman and Rez imploding?

There's bound to be one or two buried here in the retro board. Maybe one for each of the three titles. :grin: There's one in the Wii Channels board for definite...

...thats not to say there aren't a lot of other threads that we haven't DKC'd up over the years. None are ever safe.

Include me into that, Donkey Kong Country was a serious part of my life as a boy, all I cared about was finishing school so I could go back to playing Donkey Kong Country. :love::love:

OMFG. The genius' that are the 3 DKC composers are getting back together to deliver a special remix for the OC Remix DKC2 project. I just .... fap, fap fap...

anyway...

Further info on the DKC2 Project

:hehe:EVEN MORE:D :D :D

Kong in Concert is incredible, but are remixed tracks of DKC 1.

DKC 2, that's were the magic happened:hug:

Edited by Fused King

Yeah, Kong in Concert is brilliant!

In other retro related news I was thinking about the following...

Who did Mario learn the butt stomp move from?

Back in 1995, Yoshi's Island introduced the Butt Stomp mechanic to players. It was such a successful part of that title (going on to introduce new gameplay features and a quicker means to disposing enemies) that it has been a staple move of all Mario outings since.

As Mario's next outing was to be the revolutionary Mario64 here we saw the butt stomp move (and the posts that featured in Yoshi's Island) becoming a dominant feature of the game. If you are to then question where the move came from you may think that it was Yoshi's Island. In the context of who Mario learnt the move from, you could argue that, as a baby, Mario was unaware of such a move yet as he grew older such a 'move' was picked up from somewhere else.

Perhaps as an adult Mario came across the move in 1988. And perhaps Nintendo are the masters of recycling from an altogether different source...

Edited by tapedeck

Done.

Ah, I remember the DK thing! Totally forgot. Uber cool though :D

Another one (probably known the world over!)

Has no-one else got any retro treats/hidden information etc??

Watch these 2, your mind will be blown, I know mine was.

Tapedeck, I always thought they brought that move through from Yoshi's Island. Was it called the Butt Bash in it? I think it definitely had a different name to what it has nowadays. Maybe its even had a couple of different names over the years. Great spot with the wooden posts being carried through- I never made that connection!

I saw Debug Mode's fun fact already but it never ceases to amaze. I wonder what the Wii menu "music" will be revealed as at some point down the line. :heh:

Excellent GC menu spot. Nintendo are really big on these ideas. Good fun for the fans to look out for too.

I came from Yoshi's Island straight to Mario64 and there were a lot of factors I felt Nintendo carried over. The red coins were there as well as all the butt stomping posts already mentioned. I also thought that Nintendo were pretty obsessed with seesaws in Yoshi's Island's castle levels and Mario64 also Seemed to carry that over on the Bowser stages.

Meh, the butt-stomp is nothing. What about the Triple Jump and the Backflip found in the 3D games? Barely anyone knows where Mario first used them:

Around the 1:01-1:09 mark, and:

Around the 6:40-6:49 mark

*sigh* Donkey Kong for the Game Boy was so good...

Meh, the butt-stomp is nothing. What about the Triple Jump and the Backflip found in the 3D games?

Come on, you don't expect us to be in the dark over that. :heh: It was great how Donkey Kong 94 built Mario up with such a diverse set of moves. Triple jumping and backflipping through the classic opening level was immense.

*sigh* Donkey Kong for the Game Boy was so good...

One of the best games on it, imo. I completed it several times. The variation and challenge as you went from world to world (airplane, glacier, jungle, city and more), coupled with the boss battles with Donkey Kong made for a truly memorable title.

I always thought Pauline's cries of "Help! Help! Help!" sounded like a cat meowing.

Watch these 2, your mind will be blown, I know mine was.

*can't breath*

THAT IS INTENSE! :grin:

It feels like Nintendo have put a shotgun to my nipples and blasted straight through them! :D

(this is a good thing btw :p)