Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Which Social Group Did You Fit In At School?

ReZourceman

This enabled me to sit on this chick's Rachel's lap quite often, which I found pretty awesome.

I mean FFS I got kicked out of the class once for farting.

Those 2 scenarios are the funniest mental images I've had for a while.

*fffffrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttt* "OUT!"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish we had a photo of the trousers someone stuffed, put shoes on then put in the ceiling of one of the classrooms in year eleven. It looked so damn realistic! Im sure one of the dinner ladies came in and told them to get down.

I was part of the trouser stuffing. It was awesome.

It was our end of year prank. There had been a hole in the ceiling for ages, so we got a pair of old trousers, stapled some shoes from lost property onto the end of the legs, stuffed the trousers with paper then crammed them up into the hole. The teacher who taught in the room liked it so much that she kept them there until the ceiling was repaired.

I think Graham got a picture of "the legs" but I haven't heard from him since we left.

My first primary school I guess we didn't really have cliques yet, we were all a bit too young, but by my second I suppose they'd formed. I wasn't really popular I guess but I had my friends and was happy.

In secondary school I made friends with the 'cool' kids and I guess I was popular, whatever that's meant to mean anyway. I got pretty sick of how they treated people though so by year 10 I kept to myself a lot and was neutral with pretty much everyone.

I don't remember there being social groups at school exactly. There were the lads who liked to play football at lunchtime, I guess. And the girls who hung outside the schools smoking. Thats about it.

I left school in '99, and I'd never even heard of goths/chavs/whatevers at school. We were all just... kids? Students? Never thought about it any more than that. Aside from the odd trouble kid, most people just got on and did stuff.

There weren't exactly groups in that sense during most of my school time. I didn't hang out with groups in particular, just my closest friends, but we didn't have a common stereotypical personality like that. I have always been the weird one, though, particularly in my early years as I was very autistic then. I was always accepted and had great friends, however, so I've never felt like an outsider.

In 9th grade of Folkeskolen ("public school", Denmark's compulsory education) I got into a "group" consisting of me and two other geeks - science geeks to be particular. I worked with them in most subjects, and we almost always got harder tasks in physics and chemistry (merged into one subject in Folkeskolen) because we did the standard tasks and experiments in minutes. :p

In the gymnasium, I got some amazing friends. We are sort of the weird, "uncool" people in the class, though not exactly like seen in most American school movies.

I guess I've always been the geek/nerd.

I guess through most of secondry school i just hung out with the people who played warhammer 40k. Geeky as lol. I guess even now i have a soft spot for anything Games workshop related. Infact im suprised there is never anything GW related in the post your purchases thread from other members.

I think I got progressively less cool as school life went on... though this was mainly due to a lack of caring or trying than anything else. And like most othe people on here I was more an inbetweener by the end, could easily talk to most of the 'cool kids' aswell as the uncool ones. In the end of secondary school (or high school, whatever), my friendship group sort of split, half becoming the cool kids and half the uncool kids. So I never reeally chose which to fall into.

Oh yeh and I largely kept my true geekyness a secret, so as to not scare anyone off and retain the ability to fit in with the cool kids.

I remember everyone bringing in Game Boys to play Pokemon when Red and Blue were released. We kept ourselves to ourselves when playing, had no real effect on anyone.

This reminds me of lower sixth... a group of us one day decided to all bring in our Game boys and start playing pokemon. Man that was an awesome couple of weeks... and it wasn't even the uncool kids!! Even some guys in the year above joined in...

Edited by dan-likes-trees

In junior school there wasn't really any cliques or I was too naive to notice any. I got on with most people, except for random girls who I seem to recall enjoyed harassing me. Shame I don't get such attention these days... ¬_¬

High School, I didn't like most of the people who thought they were popular or what they did to try and get themselves known. I had my group of friends in my form class, and then it extended group of friends who I knew from other classes or outside activities (eg football teams). If I had to categorise I'd say Tier 2, we weren't complete nerds or outcasts, we weren't the 'popular' kids, but people knew us and we got on with many people.

A classic school tale for you, this stupid kid in my class who's probably a bin dipper now said to me "Your not cool", to wich I responded "And why's that then Ashley?". "Because you don't come down the park on friday and get drunk and do drugs". A good friend of mine then sarcasticly slow clapped him, and the class ripped the shit out of the lad.

A classic school tale for you, this stupid kid in my class who's probably a bin dipper now said to me "Your not cool", to wich I responded "And why's that then Ashley?". "Because you don't come down the park on friday and get drunk and do drugs". A good friend of mine then sarcasticly slow clapped him, and the class ripped the shit out of the lad.

I would have paid to watch that! Amazing! :D

I was neither here nor there - I was kind of nerdy, but not exceptionally so. People only took the piss out of me in jest, and I gave as good as I got. The only people who didn't like me were those who were both stupid and unpopular.

I never, ever got beaten up in school, and have never been in a fight. This came from two incidents - one involving 3 guys trying to give me "birthday beats", and me blocking each and every punch (Taekwondo ftw), and from breaking the rich twaty chav's nose (who was "hard) when he spat in my face for no reason what so ever.

I was the leper.

Trufax

woo! me too!!

after my accident people were like ARGH DONT GO NEAR HER FACE!!!

like somehow clumsiness was contagious and they'd also fall through a window and guillotine their forehead off.

i actually didnt fit into any group. i wasn't clever enough for the nerdy kids and i didnt wear enough hoe makeup for the popular kids, and everyone thought i was the quiet straight-A type for some reason. i very much wasn't O_o

woo! me too!!

after my accident people were like ARGH DONT GO NEAR HER FACE!!!

like somehow clumsiness was contagious and they'd also fall through a window and guillotine their forehead off.

i actually didnt fit into any group. i wasn't clever enough for the nerdy kids and i didnt wear enough hoe makeup for the popular kids, and everyone thought i was the quiet straight-A type for some reason. i very much wasn't O_o

you mock my painnnnnnn :sad:

:heh:

Primary school, i just hung out with a few people.

Secondary school was different. I hung out with my mates. I wouldn't say we were popular as in top of the school popular, but we were known enough not to be the geeks. We had the brain power to do well, but knew when to goof off and chill as well. So we were really in the middle as it were there.

Same goes for college really, just hung out with my mates. Had the brain power and knew when to goof off and chill. Except we were split within the mate group. I was more towards the top with brainage, where-as another mate was more goofy than brainy.

I think my year at school was brilliant (same yeargroup entire school life), no real divisions that held any distinct...malice toward each other. It was really just groups of friends that formed each "group", and everyone generally got on with each other, group wise. I drifted, but really that's because I'm a nice person. To me, I classed the groups as "The Cool Crew", but really that title is just a huge net over most of the year, "The Bombadiers" who are another group of friends, who are all arty, music, etc, but can be a bit silly. However, I admired their innocence and desire to just have a laugh and didn't try to reenact The Hills like some others might have been trying to do.

I was a part of those two. Good friends with both, but never felt like I was a definite part of either one. Again it was more about the people themselves than the perceived groups.

There were the "weird ones", but everything's relative. They were perfectly nice people (just some may or may not have had intense mental problems and the sort), and they seemed to like/latch on to me a lot. Maybe cause I'm so nice.

Primary School: Quiet child I was, bullied somewhat in years 3 and 4 but apart from that it was fine. Just a small group of friends who I hung round with and everyone seemed to get on most of the time.

High School: Never bullied and got on well with a close, larger group of friends. I got on with many other people in lessons and things but hung around with the same group of friends every break/lunch time. From about Year 9 onwards said group became impossible for anyone else to join. I think we may have been seen as the intelligent/slightly geeky types. I remember being strangely respected in P.E, people seemed to like having me on their team even if I was completely average at most sports. Except Tennis. I was woeful at that :D Used to be respected for my pr0 presenting skills in business studies as well. Presentations weren't exactly good but always amusing.

6th form: For the first two months of my post GCSE years, I was at a 6th form, but then changed to a college. Didn't like the 6th form because it felt like I had no friends but apparently everyone loved me o_O I became something of a 6th form legend as I was told by a few people I still talked to from there. Last summer (about 7 months after I had left) I remember being on the beach and a big group of them seeing me and all just chanting my name =S It was all very surreal.

College: There were no real groups as such and it all had a very disjointed feel to it. I became friends with the other I.B people (people doing the International Baccalaureate as opposed to a levels) and still had a few friends who had gone to the college after high school. Became pretty close knit again in the end.

I can't really be bothered to give details but being reasonably good at football has helped muchly in not becoming a loner so I've always found that there have been plenty of friends throughout life.

I still think, despite the 'you should just be yourself' argument, that you should conform to a few conventions, otherwise the resulting bullying or mis-treation (probably not a word) is just not worth going through. Though to be fair I haven't had a problem with whatever is called the normal fashion at the time.

Don't hate me.

Edited by dwarf

fuck knows about primary. yr7-11 I was a nerd that knew everyone and was 'mates' with some of the chavvier people which I think helped with not being bullied about my lovely long locks (:hurf:). I had actual friends in the popular crew, the alternative crew and the nerd crew, so I was pretty much sorted in terms of who to talk to at lunch :P

Sixth form I went total nerd, and hang out with who I assume were the outcasts (I dunno, was only there for two years). But still could chat with some more 'popular' people If there was no one else.

Luckily uni doesn't have anything like that so whatever.

Primary school I can't remember, everyone seemed to get along with everyone...

Secondary School I was a "Proper Greebo" and actively chased/hated by the chavs. All the greebo's were in the top sets though and most of the chavs are in jail/cleaning toilets for a living, justice! There were very, very few geeks (maybe 5?) in my year at school so I'd say we were near the bottom of the pile. Was an awesome time though, and while a few of us got cracked once in a while, as strange as it sounds it was all in the name of fun. I don't think there was ever any real malice, it's just what the kids did. The heirachy was like this kinda... Geeks -> Grebs -> Popular (liked by everyone) -> Popular Chavs -> Chavs. In the real world, now, it seen a full on role reversal though.

Sixth form. Hated it, didn't make any friends except one guy and barely attended because of this. Bad, bad times.

I can't really be bothered to give details but being reasonably good at football has helped muchly in not becoming a loner so I've always found that there have been plenty of friends throughout life.

I still think, despite the 'you should just be yourself' argument, that you should conform to a few conventions, otherwise the resulting bullying or mis-treation (probably not a word) is just not worth going through. Though to be fair I haven't had a problem with whatever is called the normal fashion at the time.

Don't hate me.

Well, sometimes you gotta try to fit in, at least on the surface, simply to survive. It doesn't change the fact that in the ideal world, we should all be able to be ourselves without fear of harrassment. :)

Anyway, in Denmark - at least at the schools I went to - there has never been this classic class hierarchy many of you have experienced. Sure, there are groups, people who share interests and lifestyles and thus hang out together and speak better with "their own kind" than the others. But never in the same sense. Still, I have pretty much always been able to speak with everyone.

I was similar, apprently I had a knack for being able to move from group to group without needing make-up or uber geekness, but I never really 'fit' in any, which was a pain.

College for us didn't really have any groups.

So I've never really been deemed as anything, I think as close as I got was spending a couple of weeks with the geeky kids in college. :indeed:

I was always one of the geeks right up until year 10. Before that I had big glasses and I'd never heard of hair gel (bare in mind this was when you had hair spiked up and that was cool). I got contact lenses over the summer after year nine, changed my hair and moved into a new class. Instant change in my friendship group.

After that I would say I've been somewhere in between the geeks and the twats. I had a pretty awesome group of 7-8 good friends in my class so we'd all hang out together. And being at a Grammar school pretty much everyone is cleverer than you, but the whole of my group still did pretty well in terms of grades. Obviously the geeks did really well and the football loving chavvy types did less well, so we were somewhere in between again. We were in the position of just above the geeks in the hierarchy - we knew that the football player/chavs were complete idiots (as all geeks do) and yet we also thought the geeks were rather strange/annoying. It was an odd setup, but it worked.

At Uni now there is literally none of that hierarchy shit. I mean, you sometimes still get the footballers and the slutty girls, but they're never unfriendly to you and standing at a bus stop you can easily chat to anyone without worrying. It makes you realise how pointless it all was really. Still, I wouldn't change my schoolfriends for anything and now I live with some pretty awesome people at uni so life's all good.

Ah the social divide of schools. Where would we be without them.

I think throughout the entirety of my schooling years, I just had the ability to cross the social divide and take in all sides. The schools I went to went far and beyond nerdy and cool kids in terms of social groups. There was like 10+ cliques and I was just able to go between them. I may not have fit totally into all but I had close friends in all so it was alright.

As for college, there wasn't a true social divide. There did appear to be one but it came about purely because of two classes coming together to be one to shorten lecture hours. When that happened, the class literally split down the middle based on what class you were in originally. There wasn't much crossing of the divide but by that time, we had all made close friends so it was a bit like 'meh'.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!