N-Europe

Coconuts - Man's Mortal Enemy

Fierce_LiNk

I love fairly long stories that have no point, and I've been in the mood for thread creating again, and this was something that I thought might make someone smile.

There I was, sitting in my living room, when my housemate comes in from Sainsburys. Today, she has bought a coconut.

A coconut: coconut.jpg Definition: A hard...thing with such a tasty meat middddle.

The dangers: If a coconut hits you on the head, the chances are you will die, if it is done correctly. If not, then you've...got an unusually protected head.

So, in she comes, looking excited...and then it turned into puzzlement.

confused-steve.png - Note: Not my actual housemate.

She turns to me and says...Jim, I need your help. I don't know how to get into this coconut. Thankfully, she came to me, as I know a thing or two about penetration, and I've certainly cracked some tough nuts before...scrap that last bit.

We take it into the kitchen, looking for a hammer.

We do not find a hammer.

Instead, we look for a screw-driver. We head downstairs into her room (yes, the men of the house do not keep screwdrivers. What a crazy world) and we find her little set, which was bright pink and the smallest set of screwdrivers I've ever seen.

Kinda like this: 3pcs_Small_Screwdrivers.jpg

After an age, we burrow through it, and she uses a combination of screw-drivers and anything long and thin that she can find. (shut up). Eventually, the coconut is penetrated!

woohoo.gif

But wait...

The milk isn't coming out...

doh.gif

So we have to burrow into the other two holes as well. Eventually, a tiny bit of milk does come out...ever so slowly. And it tasted horrible, nothing like I was imaging. Le Sigh.

Then, here comes the trouble. We need to break into it. Find us the hammer. Wait, we don't have a hammer. Jesus Fuck!

I look on the internet about the best way to break into a coconut. They all mention hammers. We do not own a hammer! In desperation, we search the cupboards and drawers, and try breaking into it any way that we can.

We smashed it with a rolling pin. No Effect. What the hell.

We tried cutting it with a stupidly big knife. It blunted the knife. Holy hell.

We tried banging it against the wall. Nothing.

Then, yours truly comes up with a great idea. We'll drop it from my bedroom, which is the third floor, and into the garden. My housemate, the owner of the coconut has her room next to the garden, so she could just...go get it when its broken.

I venture upstairs, and she ventures downstairs. I look out the window, coconut in hand, and she screams "Jim, don't throw it yet! You'll kill me!"

So, I waited, and I threw it down...

And ta-daa:

coconut.jpg

It was a surprisingly even break, with only a tiny bit of it breaking off and flying off somewhere. So, we took it inside, and it tasted oh-so-good.

DeserveVictoryChurchill.jpg

Now, this is a pretty long and almost pointless post. But, to me, this is a good story. The task itself seems simple: You have an object, but you can't get inside it, or break it.

This task probably took us the best part of an hour. And, it was as simple as throwing it out of the window and onto the ground, but it didn't seem that simple.

Two questions to you all.

1. Do you like coconuts, and is the story somewhat familiar to you?

and

Deux: Can you think of a story similar to this, where you needed to do something that seemed easy, but turned out to be quite a task?

Much love for reading.

I can remember watching my dad spend a small age trying to bust into one of these bitches. He'd go through the entire toolbox and every profanity that could be mustered before we were finally rewarded with the small amount of milk and soft meat within. Good times.

I can tolerate coconut when suitably hidden — it can work in curry dishes — but otherwise it's like eating flecks of scented soap. Not a fan.

The man-made equivalent to the coconut is of course the heat sealed blister pack. As gamers I'm sure a lot of you will be familiar with this particular evil, its use very common for console accessories and peripherals. They often take upwards of 10 minutes to open even with a sharp knife, and my blood has been spilt by their lethally sharp edges on more than one occasion!

lol, you crack me up flinkington :)

Buy a hammer! mind you dropping it out of the window is probably more fun!

:D Miss you, Plattymon.

Dropping it outta the window was really, really fun. Seeing it crack at the bottom, haha. The sound it made! :D

I'm just lucky no-one was standing there. Otherwise, instant death.

I'm pleased with all the coconut love. I've also never tried the Monty Python style banging of the coconuts to create hooves thing. Hmm.

After reading Letty's post, last night I told my 2 yr old daughter that coconuts were bear eggs.

Results: Confused child. Scowling wife. Amused father.

In fact, coconuts are the devil.

Dude, I wish you could have youtubed a video of you telling your daughter that. I would happily have paid money to see that. :D