Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Killed over Halo 3!

Bren

Just imagine how different the news would be if the game was Beautiful Katamari... I suppose he would have rolled them around the house to death.

Exactly, I doubt the type of game has much to do with it really. I'm sure he'd have done the same if he were addicted to something with no violence whatsover.

The way the news article makes the kid sound pretty insane and the picture (although possibly just a bad picture) doesn't help. This just backs up what I've been saying all along though. You have to be pretty fucked up already to be influenced by a game to the point in which you would act violently because of it.

The way the news article makes the kid sound pretty insane and the picture (although possibly just a bad picture) doesn't help. This just backs up what I've been saying all along though. You have to be pretty fucked up already to be influenced by a game to the point in which you would act violently because of it.

Not to mention, kill your parents (well try in one case)

You think he t-bagged his parents after he did it?

Lol. So bad.

This quote sounds like something out of a film.

His father Mark, who was shot in the head and survived, testified that his son came into the room and asked: "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you."

He said he expected a pleasant surprise. Then his head went numb from the gunshot.

To be fair the article does state

But the judge rejected this, saying he had planned revenge for weeks.

So while the headline is a bit misleading this is journalism after all...

However this isn't so cool:

[The bill] creates a new rule within the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which forces games with a Teen rating or higher to be sold with a simple warning label, reading: "WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent video games and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior."

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/01/12/new-bill-congress-would-add-cigarette-warning-labels-video-games

From Ashley's link:

"research continues to show a proven link between playing violent games and increased aggression in young people. American families deserve to know the truth about these potentially dangerous products."

Maybe they should tell them the fucking truth then! If you're a bit nutty, video games (or anything, for that matter) may push you over the edge is what the research has said.

What's a little odd is that I, who reads articles about said research in child and adolescent mental health journals my dad gets due to his job, am better informed about such things than the people who are running the world's only superpower.

WTF.

Labels for fruit in that case. "WARNING : Keep out of reach of children. Bananas have been linked to sexual behaviour"

What's even more odd is that it doesn't say it's been linked to violence, just aggressive behaviour. As someone commented after the jump, you can do many things in an aggressive manor - door-to-door sales, football playing, walking, talking and, hell, even aggressive piano playing.

Its people like this idiot that will ruin videogames for the rest of us. Now everyone is going to jump on the hyper-violent videogame band waggon again. I hope the guy rots in jail for the rest of his life.

It's probably more the lawyers and their good 'ol tradition "if he's clearly guilty, plead for insanity" than the person who did the murder.

[The bill] creates a new rule within the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which forces games with a Teen rating or higher to be sold with a simple warning label, reading: "WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent video games and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior."

I feel they should go further and put this warning on all water pistols and sticks shaped like guns. After all real life has much better graphics than video games and so logically playing with these "toys" will be much more realistic. I'm going to get the Daily Mail to start a campaign immediately.

What's even more odd is that it doesn't say it's been linked to violence, just aggressive behaviour. As someone commented after the jump, you can do many things in an aggressive manor - door-to-door sales, football playing, walking, talking and, hell, even aggressive piano playing.

That fucking piano had it coming to him, I swear!!

But yeah, messed up kid in a messed up story. Pretty damn ridiculous, but that's the state of the world today, what you gonna do about it?