Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Okay, weird request, but I need opinions! Since the publisher who I'd normally send these to is closed until January 5, and I need to send in the finished piece on that day, I come here for advice.

Below are 2 sketches for an illustration to a short story. The story is about a girl who can't have a birthday party with friends because her mother is sick, so she has a party with her stuffed animals. It's aimed at kids aged about 7 (second grade).

So now I'm wondering which one of these two sketches is better? Sorry for them being so messy, but they're actually tiny sketches, heh.

IMAGE0001.jpg

I think the second one has more interaction going on between the characters, but I also like the big pile of animals in the first one (the stork does sort of look out of place there though)... Help! X3

I prefer the second one, there's a lot more going on and feels more like they are at a party. There's more to look at eg. the mouse on the storks beak, the bear with a cup of tea, it seems more exciting than the first picture.

Btw, I really really like your illustration style, it's really charming. I would like to see the final one. Will it be coloured? (Sorry for that, I did illustration at uni so I adore drawings and sketches etc)

Help! X3

I wouldn't say one was better than the other as they're both really good, but I think the second picture is more evocative of a party. The first picture seems like a snapshot of the celebrations when all sense of occasion and order have been buried under tea and cake, or the aftermath of a game of Twister. So if you can only pick one, I'd go for the second.

Thanks everyone! Seems the second one is the better one. =)

I did make another quick sketch after nightwolf's suggestion, putting teacups in the first one (and switching the stork and the mouse), but again it might be a bit too chaotic for a party, heh.

IMAGE0002.jpg

And not_so_tiny, it will indeed be coloured eventually, just haven't figured out yet what medium I'll use this time. =)

Thanks everyone! Seems the second one is the better one. =)

I did make another quick sketch after nightwolf's suggestion, putting teacups in the first one (and switching the stork and the mouse), but again it might be a bit too chaotic for a party, heh.

IMAGE0002.jpg

And not_so_tiny, it will indeed be coloured eventually, just haven't figured out yet what medium I'll use this time. =)

Awesome, please put it up when it's done, I really want to see the final one,

quick sketch

Damn you, hogging all the talent!

I still think the second picture is the best. The pile-on is cute, but it doesn't make much sense unless the party is taking place in a confined space such as a cupboard or under a bed. I mean, have you ever been to a party where everyone immediately jumps on top of each other?

Wait, don't answer that.

I've been thinking about 2009 this last week, exactly what i'm gonna do..Tried to play a few games, my attention on em lasts like 5 mins...work is tiring, and was really shit last week but had a word with the manager and it's worked out a bit better...not in the mood for Christmas one bit..hopefully on the day i'll have a laugh though!

I've always complained about Virgin Media Broadband. No more. My parents have Orange Broadband. 99% of the time it's worse than dial-up (it took me over 15 minutes to sign into my Google Homepage). I reckon that the Livebox so I'll be telling them to ask for a third one (the first one was broken, in that it gave up every now and then and the lights on it never worked, but at least it delivered decent speeds most of the time). Or just tell them to buy a Netgear.

Then again..with the amount of slowdown I'm experiencing while I'm typing I think my sister's browsing of dodgy websites has buggered Firefox (she already managed to completely destroy Internet Explorer). I'll try to download Chrome.

I've always complained about Virgin Media Broadband. No more. My parents have Orange Broadband. 99% of the time it's worse than dial-up (it took me over 15 minutes to sign into my Google Homepage). I reckon that the Livebox so I'll be telling them to ask for a third one (the first one was broken, in that it gave up every now and then and the lights on it never worked, but at least it delivered decent speeds most of the time). Or just tell them to buy a Netgear.

The Livebox is a filthy, disgusting, ponderous and vile abomination against the very gift of invention that was bequeathed to the human race by that great consortium where the gods applaud or make folly of our slow and simple steps towards definitive domination of all universal forces.

What I mean is, it's seriously cack.

Driving lesson; I almost killed some children, though they were very stupid and inconsiderate children that thought playing football on a busy road was sesible. All in all it went well. Also some impatient idiot overtook me on a series of sharp bends and almost caused a head-on with a car coming in the other direction. Also some guy was consently beeping his horn at me when i was parked at the side of the road where he could have easily went around me, forcing me to move forward onto the entrance to a junction with cars wanting to turn in. [/rant]

It's below freezing out, and with windchill it's in the negatives. Plus the wind is making 2 foot high drifts, bout half a meter I suppose. So it's really cold with a high probability of getting vehicles stuck and if your walking wading knee deep.

It's not even fun snow, it's light powdery stuff that can't be packed.

What would look better?

Red skinny jeans, black and white shirt, black cardi - or the same thing with black jeans? Help. (Or a grey t-shirt).

--

Off out in about an hour, not sure if I can be bothered tbh. Still, hopefully should be a laugh.

I prefer the first one personally. But I'm being outnumbered.

As for the mouse, does it change size at will?

I'm with you. I LOVE the first completely.

I have a fancy dress to plan. Favourite movie characters.

Currently within the realms of possibility: John McClaine from Die Hard- Dirty vest, bare feet and jeans etc

or Tetsuo from Akira. Pending access to a bit of red material for a cape and a fuck tonne of hairspray, this is easy.

hmmm