Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Ok, I take back the whole swap/selling of my parents. Well, for now at least. My mother finally stopped being an idiot and I got to go and see Gran Torino, which is awesome. Just what I needed with the hefty schedule I have over the next few days. Gonna be busy as hell with Uni stuff and so it's nice to have had the opportunity to sit and relax and watch something that I haven't seen before. Tonight, though, I will be watching Any Given Sunday. Have been wanting to watch this again over the last few days and haven't had the time to but tonight I shall so I'll take a break from the game playing and continue with the movie viewing. Will have to think of something to watch for tomorrow. Perhaps I'll buy a new dvd or something. Forbidden Kingdom (one of the latest Jet Li martial arts movies) has been beckoning to me as has Warlords or whatever it's called (another Jet Li martial arts thing).

What coincidence. I went and looked at some remedial waste today. Basically I went to a plant where they sort out all the stuff that gets thrown out into things that can be recycled and all the other shite. Then we went and checked out an incinerator where they get rid of the unrecycled stuff. It was all quite impressive and reminded me strongly of Halflife. I kept expecting a headcrab to leap out of the dark corners.

You stole some fat to make soap didn't you.

I read Jane Austen to understand my friends, I read Virginia Woolf to understand myself.

I read either if I want to bore myself. :heh:

I jest - I've never actually read any Woolf, and while I don't find Austen all that fun to actually read, I quite enjoy analysing it. And although it can be a bit 2-dimensional, there are some great sarcastic one-liners. :wink:

I read either if I want to bore myself. :heh:

I jest - I've never actually read any Woolf, and while I don't find Austen all that fun to actually read, I quite enjoy analysing it. And although it can be a bit 2-dimensional, there are some great sarcastic one-liners. :wink:

Woolf screams at me with home truths.

I have no desire to read Austen. I think I read Pride & Prejudice years ago, as I remember knowing the story exactly before I saw the Kiera Knightley film.

Woops that was slightly misleading. She died two years ago tonight (well tomorrow...early morning) and today two years ago was the last time I spoke to her. Kinda crap.

Hope you're alright mate.

honestly think this is the lowest point of my life. i'd describe it like being in a perfectly circular hole made of marble. theres no foot hole, no ledge to grab, no purchase to try and climb. trapped completly at the bottom of a hole, no forseable way out unless some one throws me a rope.

"He who is down need not worry about a fall"

The boy has suddenly said he's thinking of joining the army... Personally I don't think he'd make it, he's too much of a lazy prick to be honest.

I've had a couple of mates who've said that. It basically means they'll spend a year or two thinking. If you really want to go to the army then you just gotta go!

I am slightly disappointed in Jayseven though. The lack of interest in recently announced Brand New gigs has shocked me to my care. How could you jayseven??:idea::weep::bouncy::cry:::shrug:

lol -- I wasn't sure they'd been confirmed! Tricky as I'm not completely certain where i'll be, or even if I'll be booked with an exam or something. Manchester is the safest bet, and theoretically the one my ex-girlfriend won't be going to. If I can't find someone to go with, though, then I'll probably miss tix :(

This time about how she didn't understand why anyone would want to read "To The Lighthouse", as it's just insignificant events.

Cue an explosion from all the other realistic students, who recognise it as fracking amazing.

The teachers were a bit more open to discussion (shooting her down, but saying that it was good that she's brave enough to put her opinions across)

The lesson was summed up with a quote one guy had noted down;

I read Jane Austen to understand my friends, I read Virginia Woolf to understand myself.

I clapped.

We had a pretty similar debate at uni, actually. Though the Realist(ic) students hated it. Lol!

Do you see what I did there? Because Virginia Woolf was a modernist, rebelling against the realist movement! Massive lols!!!!!!or not :(

Sorry.

Had an alright day, that ended awesomely. Lessons were mostly meh as usual, though we got to leave early from Soci because there was only two of us there. Then, spent 5th period in one of the study rooms (We've designated this room ours, and no one seems to come in except us now :D). We were just listening to random music (trashy pop songs) and chatting. Then, a friend and I attempted to dance on a table. I had change thrown at me...obviously I was that good. (There were just three of us in the room, wasn't like it was fully of unknowns).

My friend informed me today that she has my copy of Super Mario Galaxy. I recall thinking I had lost that in April, so she must have borrowed it a good amount of time before that. And now I wont see her for another two weeks. Want to play it now that I know I do own it.

My lecturer also said my review of Vicky Christina Barcelona was misogynistic because I said there is little in it for men other than the physically attractive female leads which is true. Crap film, hot women.

Edited by Ashley

I had another lesson in which I fucked up a lot. Changing up and down in fast succession, biting points gears accelerating and turning. *head melt* I was getting it somewhat towards the end of the lesson... After conking out several times and getting waaay confused.

also loves and hugs @ rez! (from a few pages back - sorry im late :P)

Today the funniest thing happened. Whilst walking back to the University, in town there was 2 guys stood next to a pretty expensive video camera.

Obviously this wouldn't funny if nothing happened, so I'll say it. The camera, on its tripod, just fell over. The viewfinder popped right off. It was pretty much screwed. The guy made it funny though, he stood there like a really shocked woman. Hands over mouth. Looked like there would be a patch of water around his feet, but there wasn't.

Apart from that, an alright day. It trenched to a low point when the name of a game was heard when I overheard a conversation. A name of a game you never speak of unless the people are the type of people who play that sort of game. Yes.

I have actually done fuck all today, even though I've got an essay in for tomorrow. Damn procrastination... now I'll have to pull an all nighter or something. My essay title might as well be "Is English becoming Chinese?" :heh:i.e. I'm evaluating whether English is becoming an isolating language.

I have actually done fuck all today, even though I've got an essay in for tomorrow. Damn procrastination... now I'll have to pull an all nighter or something. My essay title might as well be "Is English becoming Chinese?" :heh:i.e. I'm evaluating whether English is becoming an isolating language.

I hope you've used Firefly as proof that this is indeed happening.

Hmm apparently my housemate's boyfriend isn't happy I left her a post on her facebook saying "the angels cry over your photographs" and seems to think im after her or something...random lyrics. As she said, I text another friend on Saturday saying "My dear Christy, I know this isn't witty, but I think you are a fittie and I want to make you purr like a kitty" (and then the next day "If you wanna use my body then go for it")...just what I do when bored.

But whatever. We made chocolate cornflake cakes! Although we were going to save some and give them to our friend's mother (as she too is wheat intolerant but her kids always eat the stuff) buuuuut we've already had quite a lot :/

Bit of work before bed. Fun fun fun. And also listening to Devendra Banhart again for the first time in ages. :heart:

It's logical in its own way. Huge economic crisis. Only two remaining superpowers are America and China. The two work together and people end up hopping between the two. The need for both languages increases. Everyone learns both languages (but only cursing in Chinese :p)

It's logical in its own way. Huge economic crisis. Only two remaining superpowers are America and China. The two work together and people end up hopping between the two. The need for both languages increases. Everyone learns both languages (but only cursing in Chinese :p)

Oh yes, so of course Mandarin and English would creolize into English with Chinese swearwords. :heh: I suppose it's not too far off - in actual fact a pidgin would form with words from both languages and then a new language would form with its own complex grammar. And yeah, with regards to my essay, I'd imagine it'd be pretty damn isolating. Of course given time this would break up into many more dialects and languages.