NEurope
Shoe

Languages

IF YOU ALL FROM YURAWP WHY DO YOU ALL SPEAK ENGLISH

OTHER THAN THE ENGLAND PEOPLE

-----

What he really means, if you can't understand his post, is why do you speak English if you're not from an English speaking country?

You really are a caricature, aren't you?

So, who's comedy account is this?

If everyone was speaking different languages it would get confusing.

QFT

If you still need more help, I'll give a breif explanation. Because of the many languages spoken in major economic countries, an international language, also called Langua Franca, has been used for many years to cut down on confusion. For various reasons, the largest of which being the British Empire's reach, English was accepted as the language to be used for this purpose. In the past, French was used, and was usually regarded as the international language starting in the 1600's until it was replaced by English.

In short, it wouldn't work if we were all speaking different languages, now would it?

English is just an easy language to get to grips with... that and our country is fairly ignorant of other languages. Tbh, i don't really wanna know how to say "My pencil case is under the table." in French.

English is just an easy language to get to grips with... that and our country is fairly ignorant of other languages. Tbh, i don't really wanna know how to say "My pencil case is under the table." in French.

Ma trousse est sous la table. I think...My French isn't as good as it used to be.

You really are a caricature, aren't you?

So, who's comedy account is this?

I think that's just the way he is...

Anyway, i'm happy for this to stay open, providing that this is a discussion about languages.

I think i would have learned another language if it was useful to me.

For business you really need to know: Chinese, Japanese, English and Arabic these days... and maybe Korean.

Ditto.

Many Brit tourists go to a country without any idea about the language. They all think that when you want something at a restaurant, the waiter will understand you if you shout "I WILL HAVE THE ---" whilst pointing at themselves and at the menu. Even if the waiter said "May I take your order?" in a Yorkshire accent.

to be honest I'd like to learn languages from a point of view of understanding what is being said, and what is written. as far as being able to speak and write in a language, I'd say that should be a bi product of listening and reading ability.

I think i would have learned another language if it was useful to me.

For business you really need to know: Chinese, Japanese, English and Arabic these days... and maybe Korean.

Thats what annoys me about the way they teach languages at school, I would have rather had Chinese or Japanese lessons then french lessons.

What annoy´s me is how many language classes i have to take...

English

Danish

German/French/Spanish

and of course icelandic but that´s kinda obvious because i live there

And i´m taking sociology as my main course....

Actually English is one of the most difficult languages to learn.

German is much more logical, and even in French you can follow rules and get by. English as very little rules in comparison, so it is harder to learn.

Anyway, back on topic, I speak English, Irish (...yes....it is a different language...) and I can get by in French.

For those who may understand the reference:

MCC FRRRYYYY!!

hahahaha, nice one :D:D:D

japanese i would love to give a go, as well as turkish, as the people there are second-to-none and i;d like to learn just a little for when i go back. but definitiely japanese :)

Well, now i'm going into A-Levels, the school i'm oging to has Japanese, so i'm taking that :) (A language is obligatory where i'm going to)

I had the option to take Japanese or Chinese with my degree, but I didnt do either.

I think it's good that "everyone" speaks English. From an objective point of view I'm glad that German isn't the international language.

English is much simpler. There's not a lot complicated grammar.

For example you only have the article "the" where German has "der", "die", "das" and its various cases. This makes a total of 16 cases depending whether it's used as a subject or object.

And this just scratches the surface.

Besides English I learned French and Latin at school too and English was by far the easiest and coolest (closely followed by Latin) language. But I'm also at a slight advantage since both have old german or something as its source.

The reason English is so popular now is mainly due to the vest increase in computers. Most coding languages are written in American English, and most websites are in English.

I think it's easier for most people to just learn English, then finding/creating the stuff they want on the internet.

Also, English is actually quite a complicated language, theres too many similar/same words with totally different meanings, too many phrases that can interpreted in totally different ways. Also, theres double-letters that sound very similar (although not 100% the same) as some single-letters (Ph and F are examples - the pronunciation of "Phone" is VERY similar to how someone would pronounce "Fone")

Well, I speak Dutch, French (not perfectly fluent), English, and some German as well. But German is incredibly complicated, it's my most hated language. Nominativ, Dativ, Akusativ... German grammar is torture.

English is much simpler. There's not a lot complicated grammar.

For example you only have the article "the" where German has "der", "die", "das" and its various cases. This makes a total of 16 cases depending whether it's used as a subject or object.

And this just scratches the surface.

Thats the only easier aspect English has to it, the lack of inflections (or even, theres very few compared to other languages). When you look at stuff like irregular usages, verbs and spellings other languages probably are easier to learn.

I really would love to learn another language. I think it's something that I'm going to have to do when I graduate again though.

1)Need teacher and own time to learn.

2)Need money for teacher

3)Need people with which to talk and co-learn.

What makes English an easy language is the verbs, they have very few diferences between personal pronouns and there's very few verbal times compared to other languages.

I'm teaching myself Japanese... I wish I'd had the opportunity to be taught it.