N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

I knew that was exactly how I would feel about Alice in Wonderland as soon as I saw the trailer.

That makes two of us. But I just had to go check it out. And honestly, save yourselves the trouble.

778569-catwoman_super.jpg

Essential, TBF.

Both Batmans, TBF. Also, Big Fish and Edward Scissorhands... but most especially of all:

edwood.jpg

And let's be honest, apart from Planet Of The Apes, he doesn't have a single bad movie.

I love Burton's movies, I have done since I was a child. I loved Batman, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach, Sweeney Todd...the list goes on. Even though I didn't like Disney's Alice in Wonderland (yeah, I know), I think this one looks good but I don't think it'll be his best movie.

mortal_kombat_annihilation_ver2.jpg

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

Wow, this has got to be one of THE worst movies to ever to grace the earth, everything (maybe except the story...and Sonya) wreaks of badness!

0/10

Edited by Animal

alice_in_wonderland_poster02.jpg

Overall very meh. Verging on quite disappointed.

-The story was highly confusing. In term of setting in the Alice mythos. I was aware it was meant to be a sequel, but this fact is disputed and thrown into turmoil in a non-efficient (i.e not as part of the plot, just seeming like it was unintentionally confusing) way. What I just said will make sense when you see it.

-Alice herself was a non-event. Visually I liked this girl as Alice, but neither she as an actres or the script gave the character any weight or prescence or anything.

-It was quite hard to follow, the characters were intentionally rattling out strange phrases after another, in different accents etc, which made it tough to follow along, but actually added to the concept that they're actually mad, cause it makes you genuinely go "WTF?", rather than it being a "stock" madness, if you know what I mean.

- The most enjoyable scenes were Helena Bonham Carter/The Red Queen's. Most of them are away from the horrible greyness (I know...intentional, but still not very visually pleasing), and visually stunning. Her massive head strangely wasn't weird or out of place looking. :p Also some amusing bits with her/her supporting character.

- Mad Hatter. Eh. Johnny Depp being Johnny Depp Plays A Quirky Guy with a few new accents thrown in. He shouldn't really have got the centre focus on the project...he's a main character, but not THE main character.

- I like Anne Hathaway, but she didn't really add to the whole affair.

- The visuals...*shrug*. Nice enough. Nothing we haven't seen before. I'd much rather have seen a stop-motion Alice from Burton...his illustration style comes out much more in his stop-motion films, and this could have benefitted it. The costumes were really nice though.

Thing I hated most was that they made Wonderland "navigatable". It was like a videogame world (even If we didn't see it all). In the Disney animation I loved how it was very much a journey into the surreal and there was no way of getting one's bearings, each step she made was into a different and unpredictable new area. Books are different but still, same applies to some degree.

- Final battle = *madonnagif*

I was so ready when she put on her armour, and yeah, she fought, but I was so indifferent to the action. The Jabberwocky speaking pissed me off, lol.

- Stephen Fry and Alan Rickman are always lovely. Matt Lucas felt pointless, and if Tweedle Dee/Dum weren't there the film wouldn't have been any better or worse. ASAIR in the books and the Disney cartoon they weren't exactly portrayed as protagonists anyway.

- 3-D. It semi-added in some bits, but then made lots too busy and rushed, so I couldn't see what was going on. I wouldn't mind seeing it in 2-D on DVD or something.

In just seemed very formless and empty, considering what a rich property it is and what you'd think a director like Burton would do with it (for better or for worse). But it's just really uninspiring and left me with nothing. Except for that I liked the costumes.

Manos The Hands Of Fate (MST3K)

This utter catastrophe of a movie made hilarious.

I think we spend most of the movie talking about the eyebrows of one of the actor and how it kept coming off him.

Puma-man (MST3K)

Watch a man fly like a Puma can´t!

Even without the MST3K crew in the background watching this is just hilarious.

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

Wow, this has got to be one of THE worst movies to ever to grace the earth, everything (maybe except the story...and Sonya) wreaks of badness!

0/10

The Mortal Kombat films are quite good compared to Street Fighter!

platform.jpg

Platform / Zhantai

Hmm, I've only watched the first 70 mins of this so far, but I did accidentally skip to the last few mins of the film before I started to watch it.

I don't like it, there is far too much smoking going on in these Jia Zhangke films.. He himself probably has some kind of fascination about smoking and it's quite gross. It's fair enough if he is saying Chinese people were and are still like that, but I don't like seeing actors smoke constantly on screen or for the stories to be about cigarettes.

6/10. An unpleasant viewing experience, but a film I also have a deep liking for (exactly..I don't like it, but I like it.).

Edited by Pyxis

Alice In Wonderland.

ooh italics! :D

NOW! it was much better than I expected with the wizzing and the Freakin' spisyness of the whole affair!

Some bits worked others didn't. I actually liked Alice but whatever.

like 7/10 the Jabberwocky was basically a dragon. FORGET THAT.

Oh and the Chesire cat was great. :grin: Also I saw it in 3D and preferred it to the 3D in Avatar!

Edited by Coolness Bears

Zodiac

An intelligent thriller, well directed and acted, with a brilliant 60's/70's feel and look. No complaints about the first half of the film, it was perfect, but some of the scenes in the second half dragged on a bit, but I was still engrossed in the story.

8.5/10

Crossing Over

A good cast, but this poor film was all about illegal immigration one minute, then a murder and a robbery, and finnaly immigration again. Too many stories to tell in a short time. Several shots of Alice Eve in the nude though :heh:

4/10

The Postman

Regarded as one of Kevin Costner's worst, this is a film about a drifter in an apocalyptic world, who starts a war with a clan and brings hope to the normal people by posing as a postman. Occasionally goofy, and cringeworthy at times, but I enjoyed it. Reminded me that I need to get 'Waterworld' soon.

5/10

D9istrict_9_movie_poster14.jpg

District 9

I wasn't expecting it to be involved as though a cameraman were following everyone around, but it seemed to work exceptionally well. I felt emotions for the characters in the movie and no feeling at all for the humans - maybe anger.

Good film, even the ending wasn't too bad!

9/10

tell-no-one-ne-le-dis-a-personne-poster-0.jpg

Oh, such a film!

The more I see, the more in awe I am of French Cinema. Unafraid to take their time and just work on a scene or a moment, their films come away feeling so rich and potent. This is a particularly good example- fraught with emotion and intensity, it's a gripping thriller about a doctor who's wife is murdered one night and eight years later emails him, just as the police begin to investigate the case again.

It's just absolutely amazing start to finish. I really haven't seen a film this good since...I dunno, years.

French/10

The Mortal Kombat films are quite good compared to Street Fighter!

Basically: Mortal Kombat > Street Fighter > Mortal Kombat 2

Mortal Kombat was actually surprisingly enjoyable but Mortal Kombat 2 was just...no! I would actually sit down and watch Street Fighter twice in a row before even considering watching Annihilation. It was like watching one of those poundland DVDs.

last_action_hero.jpg

A typically under-rated movie starring Arnie. It is a good movie, with some great moments. It has some classic Arnie one-liners as well, typically some classics from movies such as Terminator II and Running Man.

It gets a 9/10 from me.

Bad films he doesn't post about would be my guess.

Indeed. I've watched many a bad movie in my time, including the 4th Superman film. Honestly, would i even consider putting my opinion of the movie up?.

And i don't always give 9/10 for my movies Oxigen, just half of them. I gave Superman III a 7.

Alice in Wonderland

What a visually bleak, dull film. Misses the point of the books entirely. Too much focus on an utterly boring performance from Burton's favourite bumchum, Depp. Bonham Carter was much better and could have done with some more screentime. A practically non-existant plot meant that a lot relied on the film's visuals which were in Burton's usual bleak, sugar coated goth style but just epicly uninspiring and REALLY rather ropey in places. It should have been like this...

Alice-in-Wonderland-2010-upcoming-movies-9873630-1280-1024.jpg IT WASN'T!

it was more like this...

fallout-3-wasteland.jpg

I wanted to be wowed Pandora-style but I really wasn't. I actually thought the flashbacks to the original alice's adventure looked like a far more promising film than this catatonic trance inducing 'NOTASEQUEL'

I wish Burton and co would stick to circle jerking in a musty, dirty room next time rather than indulge themselves with shite like this.

The Lovely Bones

Really DO NOT get why this has been slammed so much by the critics. Maybe it doesn't agree with people that have read the book? Or was there some huge hype built around it that I missed or were people just expecting something different of Peter Jackson? I haven't got caught up in hype or read the book and really enjoyed it. Sure, the whole heaven thing has been done much better with other films. The plot, especially with regards to that side of the story, is a little wobbly, particularly near to the end but I found myself thinking... so what? I enjoyed it. The villain was deliciously creepy and I was struggling to not let out single tears in a few places throughout. Visually, the heaven scenes were far more imaginative than ANYTHING in the above film (and that's NOT just because Alice is a familiar tale to us all) I'd watch it again for sure but I'd wait for the Doovde.

The Secret of Kells

The-Secret-of-Kells.jpg

The narrative itself wasn't that hot (although that could be because Conquest-era-ish tales never particularly interest me) but visually the film was quite amazing. It was always on its toes. You could never anticipate one shot from the next. It was always doing something. Changing the colouring, visual style, framing, animation etc. It was such a wonderful exploration of the medium. And so incredibly detailed. Rather than everything being blocks of shaded colour it was all textured (example[/url). Would be nice to watch it on BR.

Oh and the cat! Wonderful animation on that. It felt so lifelike.