Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake

So much better than I expected, I was really pleasently surprised, especially after I watched "The Beginning" and it sucked so much. Biel as surprisingly good in her role, which really showed because I actually wanted her to survive at the end rather than die, which I usually hope happens due to most horror movie characters being so amazingly dull and cliche. This bitch was hardcore.

Haggis; I love a good horror movie! Recently bought Box of the Banned which has some grisly movies that you ought to check out. It's got The Evil Dead, Zombie Flesh Eaters, The Driller Killer, The Last House on the Left, Nightmares in a Damaged Brain, and I Spit on your Grave. I've heard that the versions in this boxset are still suffering BBFC cuts, which is a shame, but these movies show you just how movies were pushing the envelope in teh 70's.

Mhm I believe it is very hard to get your hands on an uncut Spit. And furthermore, I've also heard you wouldn't want to see it anyway as the rape scenes are extended to like 20 minutes of horrific brutality in an unecessary maner.

Random fact; I saw The Driller Killer on sale in the Post Office today. Most unexpected.

Mhm I believe it is very hard to get your hands on an uncut Spit. And furthermore, I've also heard you wouldn't want to see it anyway as the rape scenes are extended to like 20 minutes of horrific brutality in an unecessary maner.

Random fact; I saw The Driller Killer on sale in the Post Office today. Most unexpected.

You don't want to, they're seriously disturbing, it's so horrible. I ended up fastforwarding that part more or less as soon as it came on, it went on for ages.

Seven Pounds

Stars Will Smith. I have to say, it is more confusing that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I may need to watch this more to fully get the plot. But from what i have watched of this so far i have to say it is a great movie with some great acting from Will Smith, one of his best roles i've seen for a long time.

9/10

Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

A brilliant political satire, some great performances here, from Peter Sellars (thrice!) and George Scott (or whatever his name was).

Overall hugely affacted. I was both amused and disturbed.

I plan on watching more Kubrick, only seen 2001, which blew me away completely.

10/10 or something.

You can't fight in here! This is the war room!

lols :P

Yeah, kubrick = awesome, in general. To be honest, most of his films are very much borderline between 'good' and 'well everyone says this is good, so I guess I should forgive all the annoying bits'. Lolita, Eyes Wide Shut and Clockwork Orange particularly spring to mind. They're all good movies, and he's a great director, I'd just love it if someone gives an opinion that isn't stirred by their pre-conceptions.

I'll give an opinion not based on pre-conceptions of the only Kubrick I've seen. 2001 drags on at the end. Same as Apocalypse Now (not Kubrick I know but still).

Underworld Rise of the Lycans.

Not terrible, nothing special, I still think Lycans look absolutely terrible.

Underworld

First watch in a few years, I think it's the strongest of the trilogy. Still nothing special, but they all get points for Bill Nighy.

I need to watch the second one though, I've seen it once but fell asleep for like the last 45 minutes of it. I don't remember any of what I saw either.

The Motorcycle Diaries

The story of about a year of Che Guevara's pre-Cuba life, and his exploration of South America as a young man. It is the story of how he developed as a person and the events that influenced his political views which led him to act in later life. It is an absolutely stunning movie, that is touching, engrossing and even funny in parts.

9/10

I can't wait to see Che parts 1 & 2 when they come out on Blu-ray now.

Philadelphia

Excellent, I'm sure most people know about this already but I saw it for the first time last night. Top performance from Tom Hanks, I wish he would make more Philadelphia's (and Toy Story's) and fewer Angels and Demons.

9/10

Edited by kyletherobot

I'll give an opinion not based on pre-conceptions of the only Kubrick I've seen. 2001 drags on at the end. Same as Apocalypse Now (not Kubrick I know but still).

I disagree with both of these counts. 2001's ending splinters massively from the film, doesn't quite match up to the book and yet it offers a manic, bonkers view that rides utterly alone in the ocean of increasingly hollywoon movies in the late 60's and early 70's. It truly drove into a direction utterly avoided by all surrounding cinema and provided more than 20 seconds of footage where the audience has to question its own reasons for looking through their own eyes.

For the cinema of the time, it was truly seminal. I really don't think the fact that it is forty years old can be overlooked.

As for Apocalypse Now... Well it does to a limited degree rely on the C19th tradition of epiloguing what we encounter... But what Sheen's character goes through is so damn important, not only in reflection to Brando's character's depiction of what a soldier should be but also in terms of the contemporary cinema's treatment of the audience. Both films you name were key in showing that the motion picture was more than just a screen to watch and simply be amused by; they showed that cinema offered emotional, visceral participatory events that could do not only laughter but serious thinking.

I do think that a lot of 'classic' films can be easily overlooked by modern audiences when they attempt to attribute the movies to some sort of modern climate. If either movie was made today it wouldn't be the same at all. Most likely, they would be utter trash. But because they were made, the standards of modern cinema were established. The great directors of today exist only because of the seminal movies of yesterday, and those great gone beasts can only be appreciated with this respect.

I agree, but I still feel the endings however great were still weak in length. Maybe it was intentional, probably was, but either moving seems to go on for an eternity once you hit those last 15 minutes.

I agree, but I still feel the endings however great were still weak in length. Maybe it was intentional, probably was, but either moving seems to go on for an eternity once you hit those last 15 minutes.

I think you're looking at those 2 movies as though they were put together to entertain, when they weren't, at all. The final segments in either of those 2 are what made them into such staples. It's there for you to question, not for you to enjoy.

Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

A brilliant political satire, some great performances here, from Peter Sellars (thrice!) and George Scott (or whatever his name was).

Overall hugely affacted. I was both amused and disturbed.

I plan on watching more Kubrick, only seen 2001, which blew me away completely.

10/10 or something.

I did an essay on that. Possibly my favourite film, though I rarely claim to be able to do something as absurd as rank my top movies.

It's ab absolutely sublime piece anyway. There are just so many little touches in the background of every shot it just makes it a joy to watch.

Where the truth lies

I half-watched this, they had this on the TV beside me while I was in the computer but I got most of it.

It´s about an investigative reporter that is trying to find out why a comedy duo split up after someone connected to them was murdered and they both had solid alibis.

I quite liked it, it had solid acting and an interesting story.

Also Alison Lohman in a brief lesbian sex scene was very distracting :Þ

Yeah, kubrick = awesome, in general. To be honest, most of his films are very much borderline between 'good' and 'well everyone says this is good, so I guess I should forgive all the annoying bits'. Lolita, Eyes Wide Shut and Clockwork Orange particularly spring to mind. They're all good movies, and he's a great director, I'd just love it if someone gives an opinion that isn't stirred by their pre-conceptions.

The problem is that the opinion of Kubrick to most people is that he makes great films and I think a lot of people watch his films just to confirm that they have seen a Kubrick film and have the mindset from beginning to end that this is a great movie FACT

I´m not gonna be a cool cat movie goer by saying I did not do the above because I remember watching 3 Kubrick films in the span of a week and did what I daid :Þ

Though I may be overly negative.

I thought that it was confusing for a large portion of the film, but all made sense in the end.

It is confusing throughout much of the movie with everything that goes on, but as you said it became clearer at the end of the movie. I wrote that up before seeing the end, hence why i thought it was more confusing than Eternal Sunshine.

The end of 2001 is incredible, and as Jay says, context is everything. I might have died if I saw that in 1969.

I loved everything about it. It was very literally, stunning.

I STILL haven't seen Apocalypse Now, despite being assured I'll love it, and actually studying HoD last year. have it on video, but i hate the concept of video when I can just buy the DVD.

warlords

was a decent film, great action scenes, particularly the big battle, and a strong story behind it. found the dialouge hard to follow, it was like nobody bothered to check the sub titles were readable. heres a tip. white subs over white snow stand out as much wayne roony at a shrek convention. could have done with aouther battle later on, emotional conflict is all well and good, but i want to see more action damn it.

7/10

full metal jacket

been meaning to watch it for a couple of weeks now, and very glad i did. amazine how the first half of the film tells you just the berest of details about the main character, or any one infact. it just all seemed to happen. i liked how the film stered clear of any major encouters, just small, ppersonal skirmishes.

8/10