N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Thats out?? Was never gonna be any good, really. Why was it so bad?

Ooh I see Chuck from GG is in it...

The first half an hour was so incredibly boring, and the acting was bordering on atrocious in places. The plot played out as though the writers thought "Hey, it's getting a bit boring, lets make something overly complicated and yet at the same time amazingly stupid happen".

Westwick (Chuck) was probably the only vaguely good thing about it, tbh.

is that the darko sequel we discussed a while back?

Indeed it is.

Read the white text people.

My comment still stands, I would go as far to say that it was a bit overrated at the time but I did enjoy watching it for its amusingly sadistic tone.

Read the white text people.

I did, but just putting 'lol' doesn't really make his stance clear. He could lolling at how bad he finds the movie to be or at acting like the movie was bad. So for now my comment still stands.

As flawed as some of ReZ's opinions are, I'm fairly sure he's joking. White text lol's usually take the place of wink smileys in my experience. Otherwise wouldn't he have just lol'd outright?

This is ReZ though, no one fully understands the inner workings of his mind.

It's also why all I said was blasphemy rather than go into why. It would leave it open for me to pass my own comment off as a 'I knew the whole time' kinda thing.

Hulk Vs. Wolverine

A cartoon released a few months, the plot is self explanatory.

This is what Wolverine origins should have been like (minus The Hulk of course) and Deadpool in this is how he is supposed to be in his film.

Pretty good and very funny, surprisingly it´s more violent then Origins was...

Dragonball Evolution

Better than Dragonball and Dragonball Z. Some Shia Lebouf clone, characters that barely seem to actually interact (some dude who traps people down holes for profit risks his life to save some random chick despite there being no chemistry between them at all - before or after), loads of awful CGI, the worst use of a wish I've ever seen, and for some reason the girl he loves seems to understand a lot more about the magic wisps than Goku and yet can't do it herself. Also, how can a large hairless ape cause nuclear explosions?

3/10

Fanboys

It was allright. Nothing special.

6.5/10

High Fidelity

Really like this film, probably because of the music and the whole owning a record store as awesome as that on. I personally don't think that John Cusack is particularly great in it. His mopish demeanour works well for all the down moments in the film where he's reflecting on Laura and other girls in his life but I don't feel he acts well in the other moments. I'd say that this is probably Jack Black's best performance in a movie I've seen. In School of Rock, he's too over the top but here, he plays it just right. Not actually read the book so don't know how closely it follows that story-wise but some of it just seemed 'fleeting' if that would be the best way to describe it. Like the moment with Charlie. They could have extrapolated on that perhaps a bit more and the ending with him working on a mix seemed rather lacklustre as you'd have thought something would happen after that but it didn't. It's not a huge thing but it just felt like the movie had more to say at the end but was cut short.

Still, it's a great movie. The music showcased in it is brilliant, probably one of the best movie soundtracks ever. And it's from this movie that I learnt how to make mixtapes for people. Just wish I had a record collection like the one here because that really is phenomenal.

8 out of 10

Before Sunrise

Written and directed in 1995 by Richard Linklater, the man playing philosophical pinball in Waking Life has a game of budding love fusbol in this movie starring Ethan Hawke.

Heavy emphasis on life being a journey, transcended via the medium of transport, Linklater seems to suggest that while the path is on rails, it is what we do when we get off and stretch our legs that matters. Everything is a method of 'saving time' that we then spent on saving more time.

An american guy meets a french girl on a cross-euro train from budapest to paris. He convinces her to get off in vienna and spend the night walking the streets. They encounter various personified characters of philosophy that challenge and provoke both the characters and the viewers; the former through conflicts and how they internalise the external, and the latter, in a vicarious manner, who aren't as much tested but more tutored and asked to apply the pseudo-rationalities to their own journeys.

I think Linklater doesn't outwardly declare one life- or world-view over another, rather he beamingly acknowledges the differences, both in concept and in form.

Great film to think to. Checking out the 'sequel' imminently.

Before Sunset

Set nearly a decade after Before Sunrise we see our characters from the prequel exchanging stories and emotions about the years they spent apart. Linklater provides much more ambiguity, and another case study on the differences between men and women. The eternal 'unknowing' of each present moment of life is reflected upon their answer to the previous film's ending, and while there's less 'discovery' there's certainly a tone of maturity and a sense of self-acceptance that is, as a twenty-something, very pleasing to look forward to.

The first film had a sense of wonderment and curiousity, while this one tends to be more muted and in a way melancholy about the difference between 'right' and 'true', especially in regards to ones life choices. It accepts that things will never be perfect but drives forward the idea that while there is still life then there is still time and chance to at least dream again, if not hope.

In combination, the movies cover a range of sentiments in a way that reflects the director/writer's own maturing between scripts. Many are to do with more 'grown up' life, with issues developing from the 'lost children' aspect of the first film into more responsible odes of adulthood. Each character is more aware of the psychological ramifications of the memories they invoke and share to one another. Linklater is someone who believes that we have to struggle first before we can reap rewards, which is rather contrary to the default way of life we have of borrowing for instant satisfaction only to face the long stretch of repayment.

The couple, Jesse and Celine, appear in a bed-scene in Waking Life, where their script is largely based upon certain dialogues from these two films; in reflection Waking Life blemishes the couple, it over-excites them and overlooks the romance/cynicism that fueled their debates. It reduces them to just symbols and, I guess strangely, portrays them in a more realistic and day-to-day light that perhaps pointedly juxtaposes their original portrayals. The joy of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset lies in the subtle body language, in the cuts between scenes and the way Linklater integrates the moment passed with the new (particularly look at Before Sunrise's few scenes of Celine saying 'ow', for examples) while the scene in Waking Life just... I dunno. It just agitates.

Both films combined is a 9/10 for me.

Monument

Comes as part of the special edition of Quicken the Heart by Maxïmo Park. It's focused around the live show that they performed at Newcastle Arena in December, and also throws in some extra bits between the songs. There's a few videos of live performances from earlier in the year in small pubs, contrasting rather nicely with the main show. One of them even switches from the pub version to the arena version to emphasise the extra omph the music has in a big arena.

There is also a little insight in preparations to the show (it was all set up on the day) and some random footage of them moving to their new practise studio in a rusty old van.

As always, it's the little changes that they make (or some bigger changes in the later songs when they add extra instruments) which means that it feels both new and incredibly familiar, well, if you know the songs from A Certain Trigger and Our Earthly Pleasures. The Acrobat performance is just sounds incredibly amazing, and The Unshockable a much more prominent beat that makes it better.

The stage and lighting is phenomenal. It's extremely wide and the LED lights are perfect for every song. Plus lasers always make things better. Lasers are awesome. They also mixed in some footage from fans for some extra variety in the cameras. Great band, great performance and great production.

The Fountain

Beautiful. It's so great when a film really affects you, is visually exciting and leaves you thinking, as this did for me. Hugh Jackman is incredibly believable, I felt his pain like it was my own; likewise I have a softspot for Rachel Weisz. Also, the music is stunning and fits perfectly.

Every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light/10

The Fountain

Beautiful. It's so great when a film really affects you, is visually exciting and leaves you thinking, as this did for me. Hugh Jackman is incredibly believable, I felt his pain like it was my own; likewise I have a softspot for Rachel Weisz. Also, the music is stunning and fits perfectly.

Every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light/10

Glad you liked it. :smile:

Aliens

This film is fucking awesome. More awesome is going to see it at the cinema with Shorty and Nami. Sodl out showing- perfect atmosphere. Shame the reel was slightly worse for wear but it didn't detract from the fact that this is one of the best action movies of all time. "Fuckin A!"

Die Hard

Figured I'd go for the other best action movie of all time. Absolutely superb stuff. I'm pretty sure i don't have to tell anyone why. If I do, say ten hail mary's and get the fuck to Blockbuster.

Yippy Kia Yay/ 10

Warai no daigaku

Interesting and quite amusing. I like how they manage to contain most of the action in one room yet still make it interesting. The whole censorship vs artistic license was well played and yeah...me like?

Seeing Hitler and Churchill make sushi was something I never anticicpated seeing.

Sex Drive

Second viewing. I'm sorry but this film is just brilliant. People who don't like it do my head in (unless they just don't like this genre) it excels brilliantly in its aims, comparable in quality to American Pie and Road Trip. Done. End of.

9/10

------------------------

Star Trek

So good it causes me physical harm. I mean....it was just amazing. It was firing on all cylinders, it was stickin' fingers in all kinds' a pies, it had emotion, action, awesomeness. Text book definition of a Blockbuster.

I'd be inclined to give it 10/10...but no. Certainly 5 stars.

9.5/10

Star Trek

I loved it so much I want to watch it again and I hate the shows tbh. I could understand everything and I don't know anything about Star Trek.

9/10

Dragonball Evolution

To my surprise, it wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. They sort of made it work.

7/10