N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

I keep meaning to see Dancer in the Dark but everyone I know who has watched it has said it will make you want to kill yourself afterwards, and I've really not got the time to kill myself at present.

It's stunning, but Bjork acts with horrrific realism. And yeah, it's gut-wrenching.

Dude!!! Daft! Tokyo Monogatori!!!! WIN! You're into that? Ozu is a GOD!

And about White... well, let's just say it's a disappointment, but the other 2 are just godly... as is anything that Kieslowski has ever made.

Tokyo Monogatari is just brilliant. I can't praise it enough. I went to see it again at the London Film Festival a couple years ago and it was definitely one of the greatest cinema experiences I have ever undertaken. Pathetically I haven't got round to seeing any other films by Ozu, and for that I kick myself. Any suggestions?

That might be why White hasn't stuck in my mind. Still, I just bought the trilogy off Amazon after I posted all that. Had an urge to see them all again. :hehe:

I've just put 'The Double Life Of Veronique' and 'A Short Film About Love' on my rental list. I've heard the second one highly recommended.

Anyway, something I did watch recently was The Orphanage and I enjoyed it. First del Torro I've seen actually.

I quite liked the Orphanage, but I had seen Pans Labyrinth first and was a little dissapointed. I didn't think The Orphanage was as good. Although I did get to yell "Holy cock, it's sack-child!" A few times. Oddly enough before I has even heard of LBP.

Legally Blondes.

Yeah not that great but enough to occupy my mind for an hour and a half on a Sunday afternoon. :) The story was your average tale which felt like a mix between Wild Child and Bratz. (two films I should not have seen. :p) The two twins were likeable!

Very loosely linked to Legally Blonde in the fact that Ell Woods is a cousin of the twins who are from england but move to LA? (I think it was LA) I dunno, into her house.

I thought they were fake english accents then I found out they were from england, it confused me a little. I like how in 2009 the americans view us as big red buses, driving Mini's etc. Amuses me. :heh:

At the end looked as if there could be a sequel!

It is no Ninja Cheerleaders but I do love pink! :grin:

4 Bears out of 7!

State Of Play

I didn't enjoy myself.

It had a very uncompelling, convulted plot, which wasn't grabbing at all. There weren't enough trills to call it a police thriller, and I didn't like any of the characters (apart from Helen Mirren's character but she was in it for 5 minutes).

It was just unentertaining.

I dislike America. I hate American politics and media. I hated the premise of the film, since I can't be bothered with all the sensationalism of the political media. Who the fuck cares if he had an affair?

Probably quite a good film in another person's eyes, but I'd never ever ever choose to watch this again. A waste of however long it was in my semi-precious time - I'm glad I didn't pay to see it.

3/10

I liked it. :(

I liked it too but then again, that's no surprise :p

The Uninvited

Very surprised. I thought it was great. Not the best movie of the year but it's the best of this year so far. Can definitely see myself watching this again.

9/10

Daft: When did you get into good films? Nice work! Although I don't agree entirely with Goldeneye. If you liked Three Colours Red then you'll love Veronique.

Ashley: You really should watch more films. The best films are tonnes better than the best television shows.

Ashley: You really should watch more films. The best films are tonnes better than the best television shows.

I disagree. Or at least, I do in a respect (/to a degree). A great film is a cocktease. I care more about the longer stories, digging into these characters. Something like Big Love is still much better (in my opinion) than some of the best movies I've seen.

Anyway.

Coraline

In 3D! My first 3D film and it was cool. Thankfully they mostly used it to add greater depth to the picture, but there were some cool "its coming at you!" uses. And the glasses didn't hurt my nose as much as I thought they would (I banged the bridge of my nose when I was young and normally it hurts after wearing glasses for too long).

The film itself was wonderful. A brilliant mixture of magical and down right menancing. One kid left during it (that I saw, maybe more) and another behind us was crying in places. One of those wonderful animated films in which you get lost in the world and it does recapture your childhood imagination in ways.

Idiocracy

I think this is actually quite funny. Really weird film.

7/10

LoveFILM have sent me Changeling, should be here tomorrow. Also....THREE COLOURS GOT DISPATCHED!! :yay:

Something like Big Love is still much better (in my opinion) than some of the best movies I've seen.

You need to watch more films. Good films.

Daft: When did you get into good films? Nice work! Although I don't agree entirely with Goldeneye. If you liked Three Colours Red then you'll love Veronique.

I've always liked good films. Been going to the BFI London Film Festival for over 10 years (since I was about 10) and I ran the World Cinema Society at school.

And when I say I go to the film festival, I mean I go to about 20+ films during the two weeks it's on. I've seen some absolutely amazing films that have moved me deeply that never got, or will get, released. It is kind of sad but I'm so lucky I managed to catch them.

I saw the premier of The Incredibles there. They had all the voice actors and everything. T'was pretty cool. I remember seeing the UK premier of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon at the festival. Ang Lee took questions after but my mum said we had to go because I had school the next day. :heh:

So to answer your question, a very long time. ;)

I love Goldeneye so much. I just think it is incredibly funny. I know it's not really that good a film but it makes me smile. :D

I can't wait for Veronique. Hopefully LoveFILM will send it soon.

Edited by Daft
Automerged Doublepost

You need to watch more films. Good films.

Yeah but as I said, I tend to prefer to dig deeper. Of course there are wonderful films out there which perfectly tell a story within the confinements but I like a long run. Plus, I have the attention span of a gnat so a 22-60 minute programme is perfect :p

(and Big Love is like a kinda-short film a week. It's not TV, it's HBO afterall :heh:)

But I may catch up with films over the summer when I have more hours to waste.

Yeah but as I said, I tend to prefer to dig deeper. Of course there are wonderful films out there which perfectly tell a story within the confinements but I like a long run. Plus, I have the attention span of a gnat so a 22-60 minute programme is perfect :p

(and Big Love is like a kinda-short film a week. It's not TV, it's HBO afterall :heh:)

But I may catch up with films over the summer when I have more hours to waste.

You can start with this, if you like.

516HAXMNXHL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000H1QR5Y/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I doubt anyone here has even heard of it. It's only 93 minutes. Even better, it's only £6.58.

...I'm still looking for that brilliant French film I saw one year. The one I can't remember the name of...or who directed it. It was almost structured like poetry.

Carrying on with the Middle Eastern theme, anyone seen Ten?

51MDY3R9QVL._SS500_.jpg

Really exciting film. ('exciting' probably not the right word tbh)

Edited by Daft

Marcello Marcello

My favourite movie I've ever seen.

It was marvelous. Like Amelie, but with 12 times the charm. Everything was Italiany picturesque, punctured with somewhat surreal characters and goings-on.

Really entertaining - loads of funny bits and a really engaging story that made you genuinely feel like you loved life at the end.

And the main guy was hot. He reminded me alot of Brent Corrigan... (lol). I won't lie - I enjoyed the bit where he was swimming in skimpy trunks.

A stunning film, which I'm glad I saw. If you ever get a chance to see it - do so!

10/10

Full Metal Jacket

First Time I've seen this film. The first half was good, but the second half... meh.

I've never been much of a fan of the war film genre, but the first half you could see the narrative, the changes as the characters went through training, plus random swearing. There seemed to be no evolution in the second half, which was probably intentional as wars are slow, but it doesn't make compelling viewing for me.

Seven Shabba's

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

X-Men: Origins - Wolverine.

Went to the Northern Ireland Premiere of the movie last night for a bargin price of £1.50!

I really enjoyed the movie and was everything I hoped for, and at long last they put Gambit on the screen, I have been hoping to see him in a movie since the very first one all those years ago.

The action was fast and plenty and really fills in all the gaps in Logans backstory.

Deadpool was badass to :D.

Roll on the next X-Men movie.

To make the night that little bit better they had placed raffle tickets beneath the seats and I got a bag of Wolverine comic books :).

8/10

Funnily enough I just watched Changeling yesterday - rounded off my Eastwood run of Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby, Mystic River, Flag of our Fathers (or whatever) and Letters from Iwo Jima.

Changeling was one of my preferred ones in the list. You ought to enjoy it, I'm sure.

As for 'trendy awesome great movies', here is a list of over 480 movies that are worth seeing.

Well, more or less :P There are too many Michael Bay movies in there for my liking, and a few odd choices but still a great selection of movies.

The Criterion Collection is an american... thing which re-releases classic/important/cultural movies packed with insightful documentaries, extensive extras and great packaging. I have Short Cuts (265), which came with, amongst hours of extra footage/interviews/documentaries, the original Raymond Carver short stories (and poem) that the film was based on. They have the "I am curious" trilogy, and an anthology of 25 shorts by Stan Brakhage which must be worth a look.

So yeah - if anyone ever wants to buy me a present, one of these will do :P

Has anyone seen Monsieur Hulot's Holiday or Mon Oncle?

Acting-wise, Flags was better. Budget was clearly sent that way, but Eastwood did some very, very awesome shooting techniques (tehre's a bit in Iwo Jima where he uses the same explosion for about 9 different shots, thanks to investing in multiple cameras, rather than multiple explosions, focusing on a building that looks different from all angles.

Flags was brutal, and the way the story was told was convulted but only rarely felt out of place.

Letters was more comedic, sometimes unintentionally. I'm sorry if I laugh at "BANZAI!!", but I do, and it's a bad time to laugh. Another thing that I felt awful for was that I found it hard to tell the difference between some of the actors, but I was high so I'll just blame that.

I think I watched them in the right order. Flags then Letters. Shaded the first part of Letters with a touch of foreboding dread... But Letters lacked a stronger overall narrative, I think. I wonder how the japanese feel about the film, too.

No :P I watched that years ago, and it's probably my favourite of all his films (that I've seen, so far). I have it on DVD but I can't remember who I lent it to, which is a shame as it's the perfect film to force other people to watch, then watch them get blown away by a "cowboy movie".

X-Men Origins Wolverine

Hmmm. It was very good indeed, apart from one bit which I just CANNOT get over. Like obviously certain things are gonna be changed from the comics, and that is 100% fine with me....but...

Deadpool was SO awesome at the beginning. I was like "Oh my god he's awesome. And hes getting loads of lines! This rules!" then thats like....his only scene. Until hes bought back at the end and can shoot cyclops blasts. And has adamantium swords coming out of his hands....

....and CAN'T FUCKING TALK?!??!?!!?!?? THAT IS THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT of Deadpool. Such MASSIVE rape, but I'm sure it will be fixed for the spin off. I was a bit glad he was at least bald and scarred. But ffs.

Also why did Cyclops blast in the school set bits on fire? :hmm:

Without the stupid fucking rape scene. 8/10

With it 7/10

I have a question, ReZ you should know :)

Has Sabretooth always been invincible? And Since when are they like, immortals or at least live a very long life? I've never known about that. Its probably all there in the comics but still just wondering.

Ryan Reynolds FTW.