Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

Julius

19 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

The Direct said that Four Swords is randomised. That was news to me.

It’s not true randomisation like a roguelike.  Rather, the way the game works is that there are a set number of potential dungeon “levels” that are picked from a larger pool each time you start the game.  And within those levels, certain elements (like Rupee and enemy locations) are randomised each time you play.

So the dungeons are handcrafted, but you won’t get the same dungeon level each time you play, and you’ll never know where exactly the keys/rupees/enemies/seeds etc are all hidden.

Four Swords Adventures does away with the randomised elements altogether, in favour of having one very large game made up of lots of levels.  It’s a very different game from the original.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

It’s not true randomisation like a roguelike.

Maybe they're hoping anyone that doesn't have the Expansion Pack will jump to the roguelike/lite conclusion and get on board. I likely never played enough of it to notice any random aspect bar the usual item and rupee drops.

Didn't even remember this was the first iteration of Four Swords. Would have said the GameCube game came first then they just threw this in with LttP like Mario Bros. going in with all the Mario GBA games. :laughing:

Toying with finally getting this as Perfect Dark is one of those games that I've been wanting to replay for ages. 

I can't recall, is CD Keys legit or iffy? It's £10 cheaper than anywhere else but vaguely recall some news story about it a while back. 

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

Toying with finally getting this as Perfect Dark is one of those games that I've been wanting to replay for ages. 

I can't recall, is CD Keys legit or iffy? It's £10 cheaper than anywhere else but vaguely recall some news story about it a while back. 

If you're worried, Shopto also have the NSO Expansion sub for roughly the same price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

If you bite, you have to join us for some Four Swords some time. Seriously, it's mad fun!

Anyway, congrats to @S.C.G for gazumping me at the end there. He's learning how to be a jerk and I'm very proud of him.

Anyway, now that we've played a couple of games, I'll give you a tip that might help you live a little longer.

If you get the Master Sword in A Link to the Past, you can shoot Sword Beams at full health in Four Swords.

It's relatively easy to get that, and you better believe I'll be doing so for next week.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

custom-f06c9453-1c7e-483b-a799-2789c08eb688-640x360.jpeg

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords on the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack - N-Europe Multiplayer (21/06/2024)

Thanks for the games. :peace:

...you jerks! :p

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Glen-i said:

If you bite, you have to join us for some Four Swords some time. Seriously, it's mad fun!

Playing games at 20:30? How young do you think I am?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Playing games at 20:30? How young do you think I am?

If that's an issue, then I know @Dufniall's time zone means he's usually up for stuff a couple of hours earlier.

And provided it's Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, I'm free all day.

We can make it work.

Hell, I suck at Perfect Dark. Could always use a Co-op buddy.

• Thanks 1

Wait, a mention? Who summoned me back from my non-posting existence? Ah, 'twas Glen! 

But yeah, I'm on Amsterdam time so I'm usually up for something at your 7pm already. Let me know if people want to play something early in the evening. Although l don't have NSO+, just regular NSO.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Anyway, congrats to @S.C.G for gazumping me at the end there. He's learning how to be a jerk and I'm very proud of him.

Our little Sam is finally growing up and learning bad habits from us…

proud-of-you-emotional.gif

I’m so proud of you

Edited by Dcubed

On 19/06/2024 at 6:04 PM, Dcubed said:

Perfect Dark is absolutely bloody amazing.

That is all :D

So much trickier to control than I recall, I was spinning around like a fool at Carrington Institute before getting to grips with things. So glad I use mouse/keyboard for FPS and Perfect Dark has some auto aim.

Just finished the dataDyne levels, much fun. Did have to check the FAQ for one bit as I reached the Dr Caroll door but didn't do the previous bit. In a stroke of fortune when I started backtracking I thought I'd give the lasers a try to see if I set off an alarm, instead it killed me and I now discovered the N64 games don't have the rewind feature the other consoles have. Luckily for me though I had to restart which put me next to where I needed to go (the door the lil robot goes into, I thought it would just go to some optional stuff so didn't bother going in).

I don't think I'd be able to do much stealth, I'm just running in, strafing around in circles and just opening fire.

Still a great game though.

• Thanks 1

I caved and ended up getting it from the eShop. Saw some warnings that Shopto sometimes sell codes from elsewhere and Nintendo have banned accounts. 

But I think Perfect Dark has given me motion sickness 😭

• Thanks 1

I had a look on Shopto for some eShop top-ups and they took me through to a place called eurogames, who is a key reseller site, definitely dodgy. The memberships seemed to be sold direct from Shopto so those should be fine.

Used cdkeys a handful of times and they've always been fine. I am always slightly worried when I use them though.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ike said:

I had a look on Shopto for some eShop top-ups and they took me through to a place called eurogames, who is a key reseller site, definitely dodgy. The memberships seemed to be sold direct from Shopto so those should be fine.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't think I've ever used them for top ups (usually buy them at the supermarket) but good to know to avoid Shopto in the future for such things.

Seems to only be Nintendo eShop cards that forces you to eurogames.

embed?resid=3AF874526742C6E9!9424&authke

But they do show them as an alternative store, this is PSN top-up:

embed?resid=3AF874526742C6E9!9423&authke

They have big banners advertising the site as well, so feels a bit dodgy they seem fine with associating themselves with them.

• Thanks 2

On 21/06/2024 at 10:37 PM, Glen-i said:

When do these sessions take place? Truth be told, Four Swords is one of the few titles I'd like to try online.

13 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

He locks the door behind me yet he can do that? I guess the game a glitch or two.

Yes, I had to abort that one as there was nothing I could do at all.

Oh wow! Never seen that happen before! Guessing it must be some sort of emulation bug with the game's collision, as he seems to fall out of the map.

9 hours ago, Jonnas said:

When do these sessions take place? Truth be told, Four Swords is one of the few titles I'd like to try online.

Varies a bit depending on our work schedules, but typically we'll aim for Friday nights at around 20:00.  @Glen-i can be much more flexible than me when it comes to timing though, so if I can't join, then he can shift things around a bit for you.

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

typically we'll aim for Friday nights at around 20:00

Ah, sadly, Friday evenings are tricky for me :( I figured, it'd be tricky to participate, anyway.

I'll let you know if I ever get a free Friday, at any rate.

58 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Ah, sadly, Friday evenings are tricky for me :( I figured, it'd be tricky to participate, anyway.

I'll let you know if I ever get a free Friday, at any rate.

Thursdays and Saturdays are usually good too, as long as they don't happen at 20:00 (That's Mario Kart and Smash time respectively).  I'm not always around then, but let @Glen-i know what times you'd want to play on those days and he'll be more than happy to get some games going I'm sure.

• Thanks 2