NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

content-4-36523-mrsakuraipresentskazuyassbubanner.jpg

Mr. Sakurai presents Kazuya in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Roundup

All up on the main page. :)

Full press release, and a link to that video presentation. :peace:

- - - - -

Kazuya seems like another solid addition to the roster, I've only played Tekken a few times, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was great for its time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

One I know, should dual-wield, and I would have said they were already there as a Mii. ::shrug: Another I haven't the foggiest who they are or what they are from. :confused:  And the other I have heard of. :idea:

The fourth actually looks cool and came in backed by a nice ditty. :cool: 

Spoiler

I'm gonna go out on a limb and take a guess.

You ever heard of a small little game called Skyrim? That's the default look for the playable character used in promotional artwork and such.

That said, I'm not surprised people would be lost on that one. In a game where you have the option of playing as cat and lizard people, why the hell would you choose a boring human dude?

Also, you're kinda right about Lloyd being a Mii costume already. That was the last Mii costume from the previous Smash Bros not in Ultimate.

• Thanks 1

On 15/06/2021 at 8:59 PM, Jonnas said:

Ooooh, and the music! I heard a Tekken 3 track there! Please, let Jin's Theme from that game make it. Or Snow Castle from TTT2. Or Moonlit Wilderness from T5. Or Baile de Batalla. Or all of them!

3 out of 4, baby! And we got the yodeling track, which I had somehow forgotten!

32 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was great for its time.

"...and it's still great"

Sorry, I know I shouldn't be correcting regular posts :heh:

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

At this point, I won't even guess at who the final character will be, but at least those latest Mii Fighters costumes confirm who it won't be.

But...but... the dream will never... the dream wasn't supposed to...

tenor.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jonnas said:

"...and it's still great"

I'm sure it is, it's just a shame that it hasn't been ported to the Switch, I know it's from 'technically' two gens ago? But, it would sell again on Switch for sure.

2 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

But...but... the dream will never... the dream wasn't supposed to...

At least we know now.

Also, at least there's still hope for Rick the Hamster! :D

• Thanks 1

Bought the second Fighters Pass over the weekend as I had my brother over, had some good fun playing around with Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra in particular. Look forward to digging into Kazuya with him next time I have him over :peace:

As for the final fighter...am I the only one who wants to see the chaos that ensues when we find out that the final character is a sword-wielding, anime-styled Goomba? 

2 hours ago, Julius said:

As for the final fighter...am I the only one who wants to see the chaos that ensues when we find out that the final character is a sword-wielding, anime-styled Goomba? 

...But Meta-Knight is already in the game.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:
  Hide contents

I'm gonna go out on a limb and take a guess.

You ever heard of a small little game called Skyrim? That's the default look for the playable character used in promotional artwork and such.

That said, I'm not surprised people would be lost on that one. In a game where you have the option of playing as cat and lizard people, why the hell would you choose a boring human dude?

Also, you're kinda right about Lloyd being a Mii costume already. That was the last Mii costume from the previous Smash Bros not in Ultimate.

Not much of a limb required as I went through em in order of appearance. :p Aye, I've heard of that little game but obviously didn't recognise this character or their name. Maybe their marketing department needs to be sent on a course. I figured it was either something old and obscure or from one of those pure hardcore From Software games, and now you tell me it's neither. :laughing: 

Thanks for clearing up the other one. I thought they just carried everything forward by default and have been adding new stuff this whole time.

6 hours ago, Julius said:

If they aren't disqualified due to being Miis or something, it's gonna be the Doki Doki Panic characters. All in the one slot, change between them like selecting your colours.

• Like 1

So it's the next day, and I'm gonna go update the Prediction thread soon, enough time has passed. And there are definitely some crushed dreams this time.

But before I do, I was talking with @Dcubed about the subject of the last character, he's going with the "shameless promotional" pick of the protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei V. I think that game is coming out far too late for that.

As for me? I see this going three ways. This is based on nothing but gut instinct, mind you, so I'm ready to be proven completely wrong.

It could end with a first party pick. That would balance the second fighters pass to be half and half between first and third party. If that's the case, I'm sticking with my "It's gonna be a Pokémon" guess. Sword/Shield is still the biggest title that released before fighter's pass 2 was announced, so it's defo in for the running. Of course, whether I'd be OK with it depends on the actual Pokémon they choose. Toxtricity is my hope there, but Inteleon would also be acceptable if we have to have another starter. Anyone else and I'll probably feel it as a wasted opportunity, but the last two Pokémon in Smash have been Incineroar and Greninja, both excellent choices, so I hope that good taste continues.

My second guess would be a Capcom rep. They've been absent as far the DLC has gone. The one I wanted had a lot of stiff competition from more popular Capcom franchises, but they've been steadily dwindled away since Smash was released. Resi Evil got a post-launch Spirit Event, and Monster Hunter and a certain other series have been Mii costume'd. Quite frankly, I think Phoenix Wright is now the biggest Capcom IP that has a shot. Strong ties with Nintendo consoles and a ridiculously wacky and fun choice for a fighter. Also timed pretty nicely, with Great Ace Attorney coming out soon.

Or, Sakurai could go for one final middle finger to PS All-Stars Battle Royale, in that case, Crash Bandicoot is still the big PlayStation-related character there.

But yeah, there's my likely to be wrong guesses.

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I was talking with @Dcubed about the subject of the last character, he's going with the "shameless promotional" pick of the protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei V. I think that game is coming out far too late for that.

I don't know if they've said when to expect the final character, but I genuinely think this is a good shout. I said Doki Doki Panic above but this would be my realistic prediction too. 

If not, what about Advance Wars? Monkey Ball? Are there any other upcoming releases they could co-ordinate with? Just Dance!

13 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It could end with a first party pick. That would balance the second fighters pass to be half and half between first and third party. If that's the case, I'm sticking with my "It's gonna be a Pokémon" guess. Sword/Shield is still the biggest title that released before fighter's pass 2 was announced, so it's defo in for the running. Of course, whether I'd be OK with it depends on the actual Pokémon they choose. Toxtricity is my hope there, but Inteleon would also be acceptable if we have to have another starter. Anyone else and I'll probably feel it as a wasted opportunity, but the last two Pokémon in Smash have been Incineroar and Greninja, both excellent choices, so I hope that good taste continues.

If Pokémon then what about the main character from New Pokémon Snap? :p 

14 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

My second guess would be a Capcom rep. They've been absent as far the DLC has gone. The one I wanted had a lot of stiff competition from more popular Capcom franchises, but they've been steadily dwindled away since Smash was released. Resi Evil got a post-launch Spirit Event, and Monster Hunter and a certain other series have been Mii costume'd. Quite frankly, I think Phoenix Wright is now the biggest Capcom IP that has a shot. Strong ties with Nintendo consoles and a ridiculously wacky and fun choice for a fighter. Also timed pretty nicely, with Great Ace Attorney coming out soon.

Would be so uninspiring. I am beyond fed-up with Nintendo bending over backwards for Capcom... unless it's Breath of Fire or Zack & Wiki.

10 hours ago, Julius said:

chaos

We all know who the final character will be.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

If Pokémon then what about the main character from New Pokémon Snap? :p 

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is one of the best-selling spin-off series for Pokémon, and that can't even get one song into Smash! Not even a PMD style scarf for Pikachu! Yes, I'm still bitter!

I've long accepted that Smash just ignores Pokémon Spin-offs.

Although I have to object to Phoenix Wright being uninspired. You don't think a moveset consisting of lawyer shenanigans (No, Kazuya doesn't count) would be anything but hilarious? That series is too weird to have a boring moveset!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is one of the best-selling spin-off series for Pokémon, and that can't even get one song into Smash! Not even a PMD style scarf for Pikachu! Yes, I'm still bitter!

I've long accepted that Smash just ignores Pokémon Spin-offs.

Wasn't aware that the spin-offs have been getting snubbed! That's interesting. I thought everything was fair game and included in some form or another.

51 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Although I have to object to Phoenix Wright being uninspired. You don't think a moveset consisting of lawyer shenanigans (No, Kazuya doesn't count) would be anything but hilarious? That series is too weird to have a boring moveset!

Och, I've nothing against Phoenix Wright and I'm sure they could do something fun with him, but Capcom for Smash doesn't get me going in general. It's nice to have Ryu, Ken and Megaman in there but after that I don't think there's any need to go back to the Capcom well.

What about Captain Rainbow as a shameless promotion for Captain Rainbow being remastered and released worldwide on Switch? Sigh okay then, Resident Evil. :zzz: 

I just don't see them ending it on a single character reveal.

At this point it doesn't matter who it is, disappointment is basically guaranteed. :hehe: No, I reckon they'll reveal the "final" fighter, do the moveset showcase, demonstration, Mii costumes etc. as usual and then right at the end, as Sakurai is delivering his closing message... Smash logo transition- Surprise! There's actually 1 more fighter barging in! :grin:

As for who that could be, well of course, it's Walugi. :D There has undoubtedly been a lot of ongoing demand for him to be included and it won't have gone unnoticed by Nintendo. Plus, it'd mean I get a point in the roster prediction. :heh: Sure, there would still be many people left disappointed, everyone that doesn't care for the final character or Waluigi :laughing: but I still think Nintendo would get a much better overall reaction by doing something like that, and probably a big increase in DLC purchases too. ;)

33 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

What about Captain Rainbow as a shameless promotion for Captain Rainbow being remastered and released worldwide on Switch?

I like the way you think. :) But man, some of the stuff in that game would not go down well today. :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Wasn't aware that the spin-offs have been getting snubbed! That's interesting. I thought everything was fair game and included in some form or another.

It mostly is. Lots of the big franchises reference at least a few spin-offs somewhere. (Piranha Plant has a very subtle Paper Mario reference, for example) Pokémon is just a very weird outlier in that regard.

Throughout all of Smash, the only things that acknowledge Pokémon Spin-offs are the Zero-One trophy in Melee and the first PMD game being in the list of games in the Masterpiece section in Brawl. And that's it!

I don't know if it's just Sakurai's team being relatively uninterested in Pokémon or The Pokémon Company being strict with how the games are represented, but something very odd has been going on in that regard.

Edited by Glen-i

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

It mostly is. Lots of the big franchises reference at least a few spin-offs somewhere. (Piranha Plant has a very subtle Paper Mario reference, for example) Pokémon is just a very weird outlier in that regard.

Oh yeah, should've said "I wasn't aware [Pokémon] spin-offs have been getting snubbed"--wasn't even considering what representation other series have gotten.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Throughout all of Smash, the only things that acknowledge Pokémon Spin-offs are the Zero-One trophy in Melee and the first PMD game being in the list of games in the Masterpiece section in Brawl. And that's it!

Haha, that's right! I forgot Pokémon Snap had a trophy in Melee.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I don't know if it's just Sakurai's team being relatively uninterested in Pokémon or The Pokémon Company being strict with how the games are represented, but something very odd has been going on in that regard.

At the beginning, between characters, stages and pokéballs, Pokémon made up a fair bit of what Smash was (and it was great), so maybe they took the decision to dial it back to try and give everything equal footing as the game ballooned?

Oh, and when I said I'm sure they could do something fun with Phoenix Wright... well, it's still gonna be limited to slamming the stick in one of the four cardinal directions and press A or B, so "fun" isn't the right word. ;) I reckon they could knock their heads together and do something creative with a character like Phoenix Wright who doesn't normally engage in fisticuffs is probably a better way of putting it.   

Personally, I hope the final character is a Nintendo character at the very least.

• Like 3

"For our final character we wanted to use one of our own franchises.....Raymond Bryce call it a Day...of Disaster"

5 minutes ago, Cube said:

"For our final character we wanted to use one of our own franchises.....Raymond Bryce call it a Day...of Disaster"

The fanbase would be in crisis.

N-Europe said that while the game can be "great fun" and "brilliantly atmospheric", it is held back by poor graphics and lacklustre physics, especially in the driving segments.[22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster:_Day_of_Crisis#Reception

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

OK, fess up! Which one of you edited that Wiki page?

There's a monkey for everything at N-E Towers.

Kazuya is a tough cookie to get a hold of, I’m getting my ass handed to me online. He’s got a great kit, but pulling off the moves in the moment, and getting the timing right is going to take a lot more time.

I just had a go with him too. Unless you’re a wizard, trying to remember all the combos could be silly, I think it was said to learn your favourites and put them to use, so that’s what I was trying out in training mode, it seems the best way to go. He certainly seems to be one for combos. Though his smash attacks seem very powerful. Tomorrow night it gonna be fun.