NEurope
Wii

Yooka-Laylee

But then they also write this:

Seems like they are very confident it'll be there.

They're telling backers that they can change to a Switch version. It's definitely happening, but they can't officially confirm it.

They were also confident there would be a Wii U version. Just sayin' :heh:

Reading the press release seems like the wii u version was getting canned regardless of the switch.

Guess that's what happens when you release a underpowered platform.

Exclusive content and Yooka-Laylee Amiibo to make up for the bait and switch pls.

PUJ1aEO.png

K-Thx-bye!

Hopefully 4 months is enough time for them to port it to the Switch, it would be a real shame if it didn't come out on a Nintendo platform at launch.

Yeah I'm gutted it's not coming out on the Wii U anymore. That's the platform I'd pledged for. If they manage to get it ready so it's released on the same day for the Switch I guess it's not too bad though.

They were also confident there would be a Wii U version. Just sayin' :heh:

Come now, with that logic we should just ignore everything any developer says until the game is in our hands...

...actually based on the vast amount of broken promises that might not be a bad idea

The Wii U may be dead in the water but just because consoles are no longer being sold it doesn't mean software with an appropriate audience won't sell, Just Dance released on the original Wii this year along with other consoles and sold more on that than any of the other systems, proving that software can still sell to existing customers even if there are no new ones.

I'd say Yooka-Laylee still had a chance of doing decent numbers on WiiU, given a lot of fans will be from the Banjo days and carried on with Nintendo but what makes the least sense to me is that I thought the core team were developing soley for WiiU and Team17 were porting to other systems. Did they change dev kits recently or something? Surely with the excess kickstarter money they got and the fact they produced most of the game with WiiU hardware in mind, it'd make more sense than not to still release for that system?

I'll be getting it for PS4 I guess, it just seems a shame that a lot of backers were WiiU owners and now won't be able to get the game.

hmm. I was hoping to pick this up for the Wii U. I'll see if I pick it up on the Switch, but if I stick to my plan it'll have a LOT (hopefully) of competition for my attention. Actually, if it doesn't have enough competition I'll be skipping the switch so :|

Hope the game does well for them regardless, looks like it would have been fun!

For me the best thing to come out of all this is the ToyBox demo being updated on Steam...

...because it finally works for me now! :D

I spent around a good hour playing the Yooka-Laylee ToyBox demo to full completion including all Feathers, Ghost Writer and Pagie plus the couple of secrets which are in there. :)

Yeah, it may be nearly six months on from when it came out but it was really nice to experience it for myself, I really like the weight of the characters along with the moveset which even here in its most basic form feels just right as there were no ill-timed jumps because it all worked well; quite simply it's glorious! :grin:

Now onto the recent revelations regarding its eventual release... are they really revelations though? It seems that we were almost half-expecting it but from the viewpoint of people having backed the game with the promise of a Wii U version - even though there aren't really such things as promises with Kickstarter ultimately as it relies on funding and faith - I can see why some might be a little bit dismayed. :hmm:

Personally I'm not, though as a backer who would have chosen the Wii U version it does make me slightly uneasy about how it will all be shipped... I'm pretty committed to the Kickstarter as I went for the limited 64-Bit edition, plus added the physical PC release and the download code for the Wii U version which apparently will be upgradable to a physical release nearer the time but I'm guessing that will now be the option of a physical Switch release. :confused:

Hopefully it will just mean that I'll get the 64-bit edition on release along with the physical PC release so at least one way or another I'll be able to play it at launch then it will just be a case of PlayTonic sending out the Switch game at a later date assuming it won't be coming out the same time as the other versions... yeah, I'm going to go with that! :D

Either way I still could not be more hyped for this game right now. :smile:

Also I've just realised, by the time the game comes out I will have pledged cash for it two years before its release date.

Edited by S.C.G

If it's not out on NX the same day it is released on the other systems then that will really hurt it. The more stories you hear like this the more I dislike the Wii U and the poor design decisions made when developing it.

I can't get over the fact you still refer to it as the NX.

I can't get over the fact you still refer to it as the NX.

Really? That's quite strange.

Playtonic nabs some more of the Rare guys.

Playtonic Games - which is currently working on finalising Yooka-Laylee for launch - has published a blog post announcing that two former Rare designers have joined the ranks at the studio. Throughout the development of Yooka-Laylee the studio has been picking up various former Rare employees, including coders and character artists.

Enter Andy Wilson and Gary Richards - originally joining Rare almost 20 years ago as QA testers on a multitude of handheld titles, the pair soon worked as designers. Wilson worked on games such as Donkey Kong 64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day, while Richards retained his handheld roots with titles like Donkey Kong Land III.

Source: NintendoLife

These guys really are shaping up to be Rare in everything but name. :D

Starts dreaming of Yooka-Laylee Racing.

With special guest star for the Switch!

I think you can guess who I was gonna say.

I really really hope this is out for its launch on Switch, dont' really want to wait to long for it, plus it wouldn't help it coming out too close to Mario.

I really really hope this is out for its launch on Switch, dont' really want to wait to long for it, plus it wouldn't help it coming out too close to Mario.

I don't think it will... At the end of the video there's no Switch logo, and this is the last thing they said on kickstarter about it (from last December)

We’d like to apologise to those affected by this development and offer all Wii U backers the opportunity to move their pledge free-of-charge to any of the versions launching on April 11th (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Mac or Linux) or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version when we announce further details in 2017.

The multiplayer mode looks great! Reminds me a lot of Banjo Tooie's multiplayer; which me and my friends/family spent waaaayyyy too much time on!

Hopefully they also have a multiplayer version of the inevitable end-of-game quiz show to go alongside the other minigames ;)

The multiplayer mode looks great! Reminds me a lot of Banjo Tooie's multiplayer; which me and my friends/family spent waaaayyyy too much time on!

"Hey! Let's play Tower of Tragedy!"

"OK, I'm up for that."

"And this time, let's not just mash the buzzer before the question even appears."

"No problem"

And it starts off like that, until that ONE guy (Normally you, @Dcubed) can't resist jumping the gun on a picture quiz.

Then it just devolves to this.

017.gif

Every single time.

Still great fun!

This vs Zelda? it would sink. They would be better off waiting a short while. Mario odyssey is another title to avoid, but maybe somewhere between those two points it could do well? even a month after zelda as it would presumably have a very different feel, it would also leave plenty of room between it and Mario.

This vs Zelda? it would sink. They would be better off waiting a short while. Mario odyssey is another title to avoid, but maybe somewhere between those two points it could do well? even a month after zelda as it would presumably have a very different feel, it would also leave plenty of room between it and Mario.

It's launching in April. When I said "its launch "I meant yooka laylee's. Perfect timing.

It's launching in April. When I said "its launch "I meant yooka laylee's. Perfect timing.

ok, sorry! April should be time for people to be wanting a different flavour, I agree that would be near perfect timing. Hopefully it will launch then. I took the "later announcement" thing as "when Nintendo let us talk about it".

I can see that being maybe March 10, when there is still buzz around the launch to keep momentum without defocusing the launch, which I presume will be all about Zelda. Arms and 12 switch as secondary titles. Yooka in April... Is MK8 Deluxe a late April is more or less = May :P

No way will YL come out in April on Switch. They only made the decision to... switch (HUHHUHHUH!) from Wii U a few months back and they're only a small team. How are they supposed to magic out a completed Switch version so fast?

I'd bet on a September-October release at best (more realistically November-December), perhaps with some minor exclusive content to make up for the delay.