Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

They're waiting so they don't have to compete for discussion share.

But if they think the NX will share discussion then it will never be the case that it won't. It will always be compared to the other two.

Unless they push the portable side of it most, in which case it doesn't matter when they announce it so they could do it now.

The reason I think it's important they announce it is so people don't decide too quickly in getting either one of the other two or VR.

I'm in the mind of getting either NX or PSVR.

If they keep dordling with their reveal I might just bite the bullet and pick up PSVR, there'll be others thinking similarly.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if they think the NX will share discussion then it will never be the case that it won't. It will always be compared to the other two.

Unless they push the portable side of it most, in which case it doesn't matter when they announce it so they could do it now.

The reason I think it's important they announce it is so people don't decide too quickly in getting either one of the other two or VR.

I'm in the mind of getting either NX or PSVR.

If they keep dordling with their reveal I might just bite the bullet and pick up PSVR, there'll be others thinking similarly.

Oh of course, but with the Pro being newly announced, having the NX release now would not be the best course of action. Give it a week or 4

They're waiting so they don't have to compete for discussion share.

Many are speculating this but it's not without its issues.

If you truly believe you have a groundbreaking product, something unique and that you believe in, then why would you wait and not blow out the competition? Show them up when they think they have an edge.

If this is the reason ( who knows why they are waiting? ) then, for me, it makes them look scared and weak, in the sense that they don't want to their machine compared to the others.

Regardless when they show it, the NX will be compared to Sony and Microsofts offerings. Whether Nintendo like it or not they are in the same industry as the other two and are in competition with them, no matter how many times they say they aren't.

If they leave it too late they'll be overlooked by the PSVR and Pro advertising, and undoubtedly once the Pro ones start Microsoft will ramp up the S advertising too

As we know we're getting an Animal Crossing direct in the coming months, think they'll announce a NX game?

They will announce something at least at TGS, maybe not a full review but a tease in the way the Wii was originally handled at its E3 announcement (console reveal at E3, motion control reveal at the following TGS).

If they don't there is clearly something fucking wrong with the company, this is the last big game show of the year right? Or am I forgetting something?

The thing that gets my goat more than Nintendo's silence is people who keep referring to it as the 'Codename NX'. Just call it the sodding NX.

I don't think there is a good time to reveal it now, if they show it off during TGS they risk being drowned out by other news and if they wait too long then they risk not getting the word out among the general population. I think they should just embrace the opportunity and show it off at TGS, better that people actually know about it.

Edited by killthenet

What if they are going for a soft launch? They spoke about a family of products, so what if the NX1 is soft launched, then an NX2 is launched properly in a more traditional way? maybe a more powerful dock bundled with the new system, trade in options available for early adopters?

I think it will still - For people it still falls under the "Games" category, and people might weigh up its purchase versus an NX 3 months down the line.

I suspect the VR crowd and NX crowd have only a tiny overlap, but place emphasis on the tiny. Unless the NX fits into VR/AR space in some way.

Yeah as others have said it's not direct competition, but it is competing for noise. That might not do them any favours. By Christmas there will be three 'new' consoles out and two existing ones and that's going to require a lot of work to cut through and differentiate from.

No matter how confident they are with the NX, unveiling the thing at the same time as the iPhone 7 and the PS4 Pro, when you can help it, is just outright stupid. Why compete with noise when you don't have to?

Hell, Nintendo managed to greatly overshadow the PS4 Pro announcement without even having their own event! They chose to focus on Super Mario Run here instead and I think it's safe to say that was the right thing to do (I mean, the world's reaction speaks for itself here).

That being said, I'm getting very doubtful about a March release now. I thought for sure that they'd announce it before TGS (given that it's the last big gaming event of the year, where 3rd parties can announce their NX projects right afterwards and generate hype), I can't see them announcing it afterwards and sticking with a March release...

Edited by Dcubed

Hell, Nintendo managed to greatly overshadow the PS4 Pro announcement without even having their own event! They chose to focus on Super Mario Run here instead and I think it's safe to say that was the right thing to do (I mean, the world's reaction speaks for itself here)

Eh...tell me you don't actually believe that? Nintendo really did not overshadow anyone by revealing an app runner game and a Pokemon Go Apple watch app. If anything, they have worked up a number of their core fanbase (evident in the thread on this forum at least). Meanwhile, news about the thing people do want to know about, the NX, has still frustratingly yet to materialise.

There may be people not enthused by the Pro but it was never meant to appeal to everyone; it is a device aimed at people interested in top end TVs with deep pockets (think Xbox elite controller audience). It was basically reported beforehand what the specs and purpose of this machine would be so I don't see how anyone can really be disappointed - it delivered on what it was said to do. It wasn't a games reveal so it was never going to have the impact of an E3.

I don't understand what Nintendo's current plans are with regards to revealing this thing - they should have done this by now. Surely they should have used some of the conferences to reveal details on the NX.

Edited by Sheikah

another day, another NX "leak"

latest rumour is a subscription package where you get the console for free and pay a $10 per month subscription (much like how a phone purchase works) and you get to play all games released on the console, with $8 being split between the publishers.

I like this idea and did suggest they should do this a while back if anybody can be arsed to check. It means you can in effect hand over $10 and walk out with a brand new console. This put's it right at the top of the impulse purchase list and I would imagine would generate very big sales numbers.

Having said all that, it's probably another fake.

latest rumour is a subscription package where you get the console for free and pay a $10 per month subscription (much like how a phone purchase works) and you get to play all games released on the console, with $8 being split between the publishers.

I like this idea and did suggest they should do this a while back if anybody can be arsed to check. It means you can in effect hand over $10 and walk out with a brand new console. This put's it right at the top of the impulse purchase list and I would imagine would generate very big sales numbers.

Haha not a chance that's real

Certainly fake, the fakest of fake! i could possibly believe $80 a month but that figure? there is only one reaction to whomever started that

mXyupD1.gif

If the contract locked you in to 3 years at least,

£10 would be 360. Say £200 for the console, a game a month (which sounds more likely to me) would work out as £4.50ish per game.

£20 (720) would then work out as £14.50 ish a game (7.25 for two games)

£40 (1440) would work out as £34 per game per month (£11 for 3 games).

If they had those three options (basic, regular, premium) Those prices are much lower than a game normally retails, but essentially they are forced purchases. If they give gamers an option of games to buy, with basically all third party titles it would certainly attract third parties.

It sounds feasible to me.

Basic

£10 pcm

1 "free" game from a selection of 3 titles. 2nd game for £7.50 3rd game available for £15

free choice games available for £30

Regular

£20 pcm

2 free games from a selection of 5 titles, 3rd £2.50, 4th £5 5th £10

Free choice games available for £20

Premium

£40 pcm

5 free games from a selection of 8 titles, 6th £1, 7th £2, 8th £5

Free choice of games available for £10

Have one new release in each package, and fill out the rest with indies and games that didn't sell as well (under 10% of console population). It would ensure "sales" for third parties (If Nintendo only have their own titles very rarely.. maybe once a quarter) and that would surely encourage them to support the console.

Edited by Pestneb

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!