NEurope
Hogge

Super Mario Maker

The average person isn't going to be able to create better music than The Beatles, Led Zepellin or The Who, so why bother giving them a guitar and a set of drums? Right?

It won't devalue Nintendo's own efforts in any way, whatsoever. This is about giving gamers tools for them to enjoy and create. I'm playing ReVolt on the DreamCast and being able to create my own levels keeps drawing me back in. It's fun. The other argument is that children, particularly boys (as it has been documented in many cases) are keen to build and create things using Lego for example. This is partly why Minecraft has been such a huge hit and continues to be so. Let them build.

It screams of elitism when I hear these arguments or points about user generated content. There isn't really a great argument for not including level editors within games or creating games with that element as a core mechanic, unless it simply doesn't work with time constraints, budgets and deadlines. I would have jizzed all over my house if I was able to create my own Mario Kart levels.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

The appeal for me about player created stages / levels was never about whether they matched the game developers standards, but more about what dumb level my friends would make or what we could build together. Fond memories of playing on bizarre but hilarious custom smash stages with mates :)

The average person isn't going to be able to create better music than The Beatles, Led Zepellin or The Who, so why bother giving them a guitar and a set of drums? Right?

It won't devalue Nintendo's own efforts in any way, whatsoever. This is about giving gamers tools for them to enjoy and create. I'm playing ReVolt on the DreamCast and being able to create my own levels keeps drawing me back in. It's fun. The other argument is that children, particularly boys (as it has been documented in many cases) are keen to build and create things using Lego for example. This is partly why Minecraft has been such a huge hit and continues to be so. Let them build.

It screams of elitism when I hear these arguments or points about user generated content. There isn't really a great argument for not including level editors within games or creating games with that element as a core mechanic, unless it simply doesn't work with time constraints, budgets and deadlines. I would have jizzed all over my house if I was able to create my own Mario Kart levels.

Oh MAN! I lost so many hours to this on the N64 back in the day <3 Made some pretty kick ass levels if I remember correctly, too! The only downer was having to use the N64 memory pak which meant I could only save around 4 levels at a time.

I had no idea it was on Dreamcast but will have to pick it up now! I imagine it will be slightly more polished on the best system ever made.

I would absolutely love this to be real. Loved wario ware DIY so Nintendo do have a precedent for it. Plus talent maker, mario paint, various course creation.

Would it be as good as Nintendo, no, but the fun is in being creative, and seeing other people's crewitivity. Miiverse pictures will never be displayed in the louvre but I love looking at them!

FAKE THEY SAID. THEY DENIED IT WOULD BE REAL.

THEY SAID IT COULDN'T BE REAL. THE PHOTOSHOPS. THE SIGNAGE.

When I thought this was just going to be the tired NES style, I wasn't too impressed. Knowing that the levels will render in the NSMB style put this right up there on my 'to buy' list, though. Of course, bring able to crest Mario Witld style levels too would be the icing on the cake...

The ability to dual render the game in different styles sold me on it, well i was sold on it anyway, make my own levels? count me in!

Well, seems I was 100% spot on about this and those Villager/Pikachu being the NFC figures demoes. Oh yeah.

No offence, but I think one of the best things gathered from this; is now that you can design NEW Mario levels as well...it means they're finally bloody done with making them themselves and we can move onto other more interesting Mario platformers! WAHOO!!

The Treehouse demo for this is brilliant.
That last level, where he just backed it up and ran at the turtles, bouncing from one to the other! :D

Looks amazing on the treehouse :)

Hope we get a Mario 64 version one day!

The jump trace feature is genius. My interest has certainly peaked after watching this Treehouse segment.

Yep it's fantastic!

Now we know how the developers do it ;)

It's funny, Nintendo have set the bar for themselves now. In future NSMB games players might now be able to spot patterns to levels and ways of doing them that they didn't know about/think possible before. Nintendo themselves are gonna have to get SUPER creative, so players just don't go back to playing their super hard levels. :p

This reflects badly on NSMB U and especially New Luigi U. It shows the titles for what they are. NLU was essentially NSMBU DLC, fiddled around with on an editor and we were charged €40 for that privilege. :nono:

We need new smileys please?

This looks like it could already be a good eShop game, so it's interesting to see how they'll expand it until the 2015 release.

I can think of some things:

- Underwater.

- Items and visual styles from other 2D Mario games.

- Different level/background settings.

- Co-op (I can see people making stuff where two people have to time jumps perfectly with each other).

- Working pipes and linking levels together to form a longer level.

- Grouping levels into your own World.

This reflects badly on NSMB U and especially New Luigi U. It shows the titles for what they are. NLU was essentially NSMBU DLC, fiddled around with on an editor and we were charged €40 for that privilege. :nono:

Cringe. :indeed:

Well, seems I was 100% spot on about this and those Villager/Pikachu being the NFC figures demoes. Oh yeah.

Or not, just regular character art :heh:

While this is really cool, I can't help but wonder: does the Wii U need even more 2D content? Isn't New Mario, New Luigi, Dr. Luigi, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Yarn Yoshi and Clay Kirby enough already?

IMHO, this should've been part of NSMBU at the launch of the Wii U, just to justify the very existense of that game.

Dr. Luigi [...] Clay Kirby

1. Dr.Luigi is a puzzle game, not a platformer;

2. If you're referring to the recently revealed Kirby, that one has more to do with Lemmings than traditional 2D platformers.

Just saying.

Well how the hell did you think they created them?

Cringe. :indeed:

Or not, just regular character art :heh:

But surely those little booths must still be about demoing the NFC figures for Smash (art aside)? Seems odd that instead of demoing 100% new characters they'd demo Pikachu?

^What's that red thing in the back booth?