Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Should Nintendo go 3rd party?!

dazzybee

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame Nintendo's reaction to the GC's sales was 'We can't compete, we need a gimmick' as opposed to 'Damn, we made a lot of mistakes....maybe we should try fixing them?'.

Part of me would like to thank this post but the Wii is possibly my favourite console of all time. I absolutely loved it... although I do wish the online was better.

For me, the biggest problem with the WiiU is Nintendo's attitude to online. A Party Chat type system would alleviate almost all issues for me really.

For me, the biggest problem with the WiiU is Nintendo's attitude to online. A Party Chat type system would alleviate almost all issues for me really.

Indeed.

A lot of their gaming drought issues could be fixed by releasing some of their franchise games, like Starfox for example, and giving it an online co-op story mode and online battles as well. People will then at least have something to play while we wait for their next game. As it stands you finish a Nintendo game and then your done with it for a few years. There are very few titles with long term replay value.

Honestly, they had better get Mario Kart right. I think I will scream if it has no voice chat and a borked online setup. I'm preparing for the worst....

Indeed.

Honestly, they had better get Mario Kart right. I think I will scream if it has no voice chat and a borked online setup. I'm preparing for the worst....

I reckon I will be screaming at the game with or without voice chat :)

I think Serebii is talking more about games that are trying way too hard to emulate western trends, but do so in a very shallow manner.

Personally, I think that a criminal example of this trend is Resident Evil 6 (Yes, act like a hollywood summer blockbuster with QTE, will you?). That focus on presentation over actual game substance is what he's on about, even though he listed games that actually found a good balance.

And there's no denying that a lot of what's generally praised in recent times has more to do with plot, narrative and presentation than gameplay substance.

I'm unclear on how you can assume Serebii's point, and give better examples to illustrate it, than him. Even so, how well did Resi 6 do compared to his other examples? I was under the impression that Resi 6 was pretty pants?

I personally don't believe that's the way of 'western' games anyway, nor that it has to be(or even really exists). If something's presentation over gameplay, how is it still being well received or selling well as a game? I've yet to see anyone here say 'oh yeah, i really love that!'. Anyone who's told me about The Last of Us(which is annoyingly a lot of people :p) hasn't at all mentioned how nice it looks, either.

How have we ended up here from a conversation about going 3rd party anyway? Nobody said they had to stop making their current games that aren't all these things you're complaining about, the point is just about making them on other systems, no?

I'm unclear on how you can assume Serebii's point, and give better examples to illustrate it, than him. Even so, how well did Resi 6 do compared to his other examples? I was under the impression that Resi 6 was pretty pants?

Serebii was talking about something he didn't like/agree with, but decided to give an example that actually turned out good, so of course people won't understand what he's on about.

I understood where he was coming from, so I gave an example that turned out bad, Resi 6. It better illustrates the concerns that were raised.

I don't know how much it sold, but there's only one thing that matters: that it was made in the first place. Yes, it is pants (I take it that "pants" means "bad")

I personally don't believe that's the way of 'western' games anyway, nor that it has to be(or even really exists). If something's presentation over gameplay, how is it still being well received or selling well as a game? I've yet to see anyone here say 'oh yeah, i really love that!'. Anyone who's told me about The Last of Us(which is annoyingly a lot of people :p) hasn't at all mentioned how nice it looks, either.

Presentation doesn't need to be about graphics. It can be about cutscenes and how often they're used. It can be how much does the game resemble a Hollywood blockbuster. It can even be a game with a good story, but little in the way of engaging or relevant gameplay (like Heavy Rain)

Also, if it looks like it was made for the western masses, then it's generally considered a "western" looking game (compare to Hollywood blockbusters for similarities).

How have we ended up here from a conversation about going 3rd party anyway? Nobody said they had to stop making their current games that aren't all these things you're complaining about, the point is just about making them on other systems, no?

I believe the point is that the PS/XB crowd (their usual customers) are more into this "western" philosophy, so Nintendo's usual style wouldn't work as well, which could encourage them to change it.

It's a shame Nintendo's reaction to the GC's sales was 'We can't compete, we need a gimmick' as opposed to 'Damn, we made a lot of mistakes....maybe we should try fixing them?'.

Yes and even though you can never say a console which sells 100 mil units was a bad thing the negative was it really put Nintendo into a false sense of security thinking that they didn't need to compete for the same audience their competitors target.

I think Xbox and PS gamers may be more used to "western" games, but they likely grew up on Nintendo. I think there would be an audience there, but few are willing to shell out for the Wii U based on a few games at present. But if 3D World was released on other consoles, a lot of people would have picked it up (especially as good platformers are infrequent now).

I think Xbox and PS gamers may be more used to "western" games, but they likely grew up on Nintendo. I think there would be an audience there, but few are willing to shell out for the Wii U based on a few games at present. But if 3D World was released on other consoles, a lot of people would have picked it up (especially as good platformers are infrequent now).

I'd say that, these days, it's more likely they grew up on the PS1 :heh: But yeah, at least one Nintendo handheld was part of their lives.

Whether Mario would sell or not... depends on how well similar games (Sonic, Little Big Planet, etc.) sell on those consoles, I suppose. How often are such games best sellers?

LBP was a fairly new franchise (and quite different in terms of play) and Sonic is pants. I don't think they'd make useful barometers in his case.

Sonic is a mascot many grew up with, and Generations (besides being pretty good) catered for that demographic as well. That's mainly why I mentioned him.

Nikkei rumours on the smartphone front from Nintendo(but Kotaku so...)

http://kotaku.com/report-nintendo-will-be-releasing-free-mini-games-on-1510204063

This year looks to be Nintendo's toughest. Nintendo, however, is looking to change that. Respected Japanese newspaper Nikkei reports that within this year, Nintendo apparently plans to use smartphones to win back gamers. Well, kind of.

According to an unconfirmed Nikkei report, Nintendo plans to release trailers for new games on smartphones (presumably Android and iOS) as well as "free mini-games." Until now, Nintendo hasn't made any gaming content available on smartphones.2

Note that the Nikkei does not use the Japanese word for "demo," which is either "taikenban" (体験版) or "demo" (デモ). It explicitly states "muryou no mini geemu" (無料のミニゲーム) or "free mini-game." Nikkei reports that the idea is that if players enjoy the mini-games, they can purchase the actual software for their Nintendo hardware. That sounds awfully like a demo!

Nintendo will apparently make a wide swath of information about its games available via smartphones—such as introducing the game's story and characters as well as the release date and price.

Nintendo is expected to announce this plan later this week, Nikkei adds.

In the past, Nikkei's track record with Nintendo rumors has been quite good. Kotaku is following up with Nintendo and will update this post should the company comment.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has previously said that the company would use smartphones to help promote their games.

In October, addressing whether Nintendo handhelds were losing out to smart phones, he told company investors the following: "I feel that we should make an effort to take advantage of [smart devices'] existence. For instance, we already made it possible to browse Wii U's networking service called Miiverse on smart devices. Starting with this attempt, we are discussing among us how we can expand the use of smart devices to help drive the business of dedicated gaming systems.... Twitter timelines filled with tweets about Monster Hunter and Pokémon can certainly help create awareness for the products, and we also know that many watch Nintendo Direct on their smart devices. Rather than simply viewing smart devices as competitors, we should consider ways in which we can use them for our business."

Iwata had presented a vision in which Nintendo's dedicated gaming hardware exists side-by-side with gaming on phones and tablets, with largely different types of games appealing to different kinds of gamers and different gaming appetites:

"I think it is natural that many people feel that it is more convenient to use smart devices, as opposed to dedicated gaming systems, to play games to kill a bit of time. That is to say, there are some areas in which dedicated gaming systems were once used that now have greater potential on smart devices. On the other hand, dedicated gaming systems are developed by considering the software that is designed to run on the hardware, enabling us to make unique propositions."

I say "definitely not".

Nintendo have provided a variety of gameplay experiences only because they want to sell systems. As a third-party publisher, they would only release games they KNOW will sell the most. In other words, sidescrollers, minigame compilations, trash with "wii" in the title etc (because those cost little to develop and sell by the containerload). Any hopes for F-Zero, Starfox, Waverace, 1080, Excitebike or perhaps even Metroid would be gone. Not to mention that there would probably not be too much of a point in recruiting second party developers to make brilliant stuff like Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes or Eternal Darkness.

And of course, since Nintendo would probably release their games for multiple platforms, we wouldn't see the same polish as we do today.

But on the other hand, releasing their games for a western format, like the XBONE would probably force Nintendo to look at what western developers are doing. Maybe we'd get a Zelda with voice-acting and non-toon graphics? But that would be the only pro.

Perhaps, if that controller didn't suck so much.

It's fine for PS4 games... it would feel plain wrong to be playing something like Mario with it though also I would go as far to say that the Dualshock 4 is the first Playstation controller that actually doesn't feel like a cheap toy. :heh:

People can say what they like about Nintendo controllers but ultimately at least they feel like exactly that... controllers, not some cheap piece of plastic which only barely resembles such a device. :indeed:

I'm actually amazed that this discussion is still going though, I have no problem with it existing but come on, it's never going to happen and nor would I will it to; Nintendo always has been both a hardware and software manufacturer... its even been famously said I'm sure from within the company that the day Nintendo stops making consoles is the day that they stop making games and this was some considerable time ago if I'm correctly remembering this so. ::shrug:

Let's just see what happens on Thursday in any case. : peace:

I really hope that Nintendo do go multiplatform.

I don't want to buy a Nintendo console just to be able to play a new Zelda and Mario game every few years. Make it easy for us and put them all on the same console.

I hope the same for Microsoft and Sony. I don't want to have to buy a Microsoft console just to play a new Halo/Gears every few years. Make it easy for us and put them all on the same console.

I hope the same for Microsoft and Sony. I don't want to have to buy a Microsoft console just to play a new Halo/Gears every few years. Make it easy for us and put them all on the same console.

If something like this did happen I would rather be the other way around as I would like to have a console with a decent online setup. :D Imagine Halo and Gears with no voice chat or ability to send messages. *shudders*

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!