NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I'm still on the shrine challenges at the beginning. Had a 2 hour train ride which flew by.

It's so good!!!

Dunno why it would surprise you. I not the biggest fan of games that are big for the sake of being big. I've spoke about this at length at various points in time on here. I prefer direction and structure rather openness.

The amiibo I've used don't seem to break the game. They do save time though. Having a bunch of fish drop out the sky saves you looking for food for a while. I don't have any of the BotW amiibo so I can't say if the weapons they offer are game breaking.

Oh I know, and I hate open world games too; I guess I just mean the game is so good, insanely good, I struggle to comprehend how anyone could not think the same :) I'm a solipsist....

I'm going to get my amigo out...

Im struggling to comprehend how Nintendo were able to create this off of the backs of SS and TP... This is simple astonishing, but its going to keep the bar raised for future entries.

I'm going to get my amigo out...

Dude...we don't need to know you're playing BotW with your amigo out.

Im struggling to comprehend how Nintendo were able to create this off of the backs of SS and TP... This is simple astonishing, but its going to keep the bar raised for future entries.

I was thinking about that earlier. Its like they decided to completely go back to the drawing boatd with this one.

I fear for the future Zelda games - it took to this game for people to think they have a Zelda that is possibly equal or better than Ocarina!

All Sheikah Towers activated : peace:

I decided to go near what I suspect will be the final area (I mean...it's not difficult to guess :D).

It's filled with Guardians. Fighting them without the proper equipment takes way too long. Sadly I ran out of this proper equipment quickly.

I found a special room which gave a little insight to a certain character.

Not sure if I'll stick around this place much longer, but I'm hoping to find some nice gear before fast travelling out.

Done my first Divine Beast. It was quite fun, some imaginative design in terms of the puzzles. Yeah it's not as big as "dungeons", but I really enjoyed it. The boss wasn't as bad as people have made the bosses out to be. Just a few swift shots with an arrow did the trick

After leaving the plateau I activated the tower near the lake. Took me forever to clear out the area below it. Did some stealth kills at night, then went up on a ledge and bombed/arrowed the hell out of the enemies. Once the tower was activated, I jumped off, soared around, saw some horses, decided to sneak up on them, and then got kicked in the face by the one I eventually tamed. I named it "Biggus".

A+ experience.

Edited by FalcoLombardi

I can't seem to get the bloody amiibo to work.

Switched the setting on, activated the rune, got the little circle telling me where it would go and its not bloody recognising the thing.

Did you try getting your amigo out?

Does anyone else find it extremely difficult to see how many hearts you have left? The difference between the red and grey is extremely minimal.

Switched the setting on, activated the rune, got the little circle telling me where it would go and its not bloody recognising the thing.

You're placing the amiibo on the right analogue stick, right?

All Sheikah Towers activated : peace:

Just finally achieved this myself. According to my activity log it's only taken a measly 18 hours. :D

Time now to really start playing the game.

I was not placing it right on top, didn't realise it had to be on the analogue stick (was trying over the buttons, a less awkward place imo). Cheers.

I haven't even reach Kakariko yet, I keep going off in other directions exploring.

After getting off the Plataue and being told to go East I went west(ish) and tamed my first horse, when towards a tower that I think was called "Central Tower" or something like that, but it was surrounded by Guardians (I've not yet figured out how to kill these things, I got close to killing one with arrows till I ran out of frakking arrows) but got my ass handed to me :P

Finally started heading towards Kakariko later, got the tower activated before the Dueling Peaks. The Shrine sensor kept going off but I couldnt see where the Shrine was, the pinging got annoying after awhile, turns out the sesnors discovery radius is a bit bigger than I thought, wish it gave you a rough direction and or elevation indication too.

Also climbed up the peaks :) Climbed right side (as you approach from the Plataeu) and found two shrines (with a lovely little linked puzzle) and a Korok :)

I messed with he amiibo's last night, I got the Zelda BotW one on impluse at the midnight launch, I don't remember it giving a weapon though, I must use it again later today. I used the Wolf Link also, but used it near a guardian and had no idea how to control it and have it run away with me so it got destroyed :P

At least it served as a distraction and allowed me to get away :P

EDIT:

Also taming a bear to use instead of a horse is AWESOME....shame can't register it to the stables

Edited by Mokong

This game is so immense, I can't really believe what I'm playing. I'm running through woodland and climbing snowy mountains, and that's just the tutorial area. I've completed every previous Zelda and can't remember the beginning of one taking so long.

Now, I won't lie. I did get frustrated trying to obtain the Warm Doublet, and I don't think I'm ever going to like breakable weapons. However, most of the challenge is due to a steep learning curve, which truly great games do tend to have, as we haven't played their like before. OOT and Metroid Prime spring to mind.

Not that Breath of the Wild is all unfamiliar. The puzzle-based Shrines are like a familiar friend. And although you have to approach enemies with caution (even Bokoblins!), a basic grounding in Zelda combat comes in useful.

I like how quiet and mysterious this game is. At first I wondered if there was enough story, but there is. It's just spaced apart. I've now completed the Plateau, and the story scene was spine tingling, like this truly is the new OOT. I've got the item that will let me leave the Plateau, and can't wait for more exploration tonight!

For people that are playing the WiiU version, how does it hold up? Are the graphics ok? Is the framerate acceptable or does it drop considerably in certain places?

I am kind of tempted to get the WiiU version, but I don't want to play it if it turns out being a gimped version of the game...

For people that are playing the WiiU version, how does it hold up? Are the graphics ok? Is the framerate acceptable or does it drop considerably in certain places?

It looks great, if a bit blurry at times.

The framerate is acceptable 90-95% of the time but it drops in fights with more than 2-3 enemies and in most woods. It can get annoying and even a death sentence, especially in fights.

Not great but in the grand scheme it's ok. :)

It looks great, if a bit blurry at times.

The framerate is acceptable 90-95% of the time but it drops in fights with more than 2-3 enemies and in most woods. It can get annoying and even a death sentence, especially in fights.

Not great but in the grand scheme it's ok. :)

Are you playing with the Gamepad or Pro Controller?

I don't think the game is grabbing me as much as it is for the rest of you. It all seems well made but I think my lack of previous connection with the Zelda series my preference for a strong story in a game (this may have that but it seems to be a pretty slow start) are just making it harder to enjoy. I'll carry on of course but I'm back to only playing in small chunks because it doesn't keep my attention.

Gamepad for me.

I agree with everything that drahkon has said in regards to the Wii U version. Keep in mind that there's no GamePad functions in the game. All that appears on the pad is the option to switch to off tv play.

If you guys are mulling it over then I say just go for it. You've got a Wii U sitting there gathering dust. Give it a proper send off! :D

Gamepad for me.

I agree with everything that drahkon has said in regards to the Wii U version. Keep in mind that there's no GamePad functions in the game. All that appears on the pad is the option to switch to off tv play.

If you guys are mulling it over then I say just go for it. You've got a Wii U sitting there gathering dust. Give it a proper send off! :D

Really? No Gamepad functions at all? That's a bit lazy of Nintendo.

Might just go for that then, but may use a Pro Controller for it. Maybe. I dunno. I'll let @Eenuh figure this one out. :D

Pro Controller.

Keep in mind that there's no GamePad functions in the game. All that appears on the pad is the option to switch to off tv play.

There are Shrines that you can only do with the GamePad.

Other than that there aren't any GamePad functions, as far as I know.

I haven't even reach Kakariko yet, I keep going off in other directions exploring.

After getting off the Plataue and being told to go East I went west(ish) and tamed my first horse, when towards a tower that I think was called "Central Tower" or something like that, but it was surrounded by Guardians (I've not yet figured out how to kill these things, I got close to killing one with arrows till I ran out of frakking arrows) but got my ass handed to me :P

Finally started heading towards Kakariko later, got the tower activated before the Dueling Peaks. The Shrine sensor kept going off but I couldnt see where the Shrine was, the pinging got annoying after awhile, turns out the sesnors discovery radius is a bit bigger than I thought, wish it gave you a rough direction and or elevation indication too.

Also climbed up the peaks :) Climbed right side (as you approach from the Plataeu) and found two shrines (with a lovely little linked puzzle) and a Korok :)

I messed with he amiibo's last night, I got the Zelda BotW one on impluse at the midnight launch, I don't remember it giving a weapon though, I must use it again later today. I used the Wolf Link also, but used it near a guardian and had no idea how to control it and have it run away with me so it got destroyed :P

At least it served as a distraction and allowed me to get away :P

EDIT:

Also taming a bear to use instead of a horse is AWESOME....shame can't register it to the stables

Use that spoiler tag Mokong!!