N-Europe

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

Retro_Link

i think that nintendo could with doing the basics right before going gung ho with needless additions and oddities on their controllers and consoles......

Also, they complain about having minimal resources to make enough decent games in time, but last time i heard they have a LOT of money in the bank. They could buy out and fund quite a few more studios to make more games for them at a quicker rate.....They never want to go the full hog with anything, its always half assed...Sort it out!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What’s on your wishlist for the new Wii U Zelda game? (Wind Waker)

With a brand new remake of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker on the way to the Wii U console, speculation has been mounting over what the reinvented game will be like.

Nintendo developer Shigeru Miyamoto, who’s had a hand in the development of many popular Nintendo games with the exception of the Professor Layton series, has offered a few hints as to what we can expect from the new Wind Waker when it finally arrives. He told the ABC news network that HD capabilities of the Wii U will be able to “breathe new life” into the game, and also hinted that the game will have upgraded graphics, along with enhance lighting, better cel shading and overall, a more dynamic and vibrant look.

As it is being developed specifically for the Wii U console, the way the new Zelda: Wind Waker title is played will also be different from its Nintendo GameCube original. Similarly to the New Super Mario Bros. U title, Wind Waker players will have the option to play entirely on the Wii U GamePad. There will also be integration with the Wii U’s Miiverse, similarly to other games released for the console.

This is what we know about the new Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker game so far, but as for more detailed specs and features, we’re still completely in the dark. So, the question is – what would you like to see in the new Wind Waker? What would be on your wish list if you could have a hand in designing the game?

A number of game fans and pundits have a few suggestions, such as the following:

Bring back cut content – a lot of segments (specifically, dungeons) were cut from the original GameCube design due to time constraints, but these could easily be brought back and expanded on in the new title

The ability to change difficulty levels – fans of the Zelda series, or anyone who has ever played a Zelda game, might appreciate the chance to up the ante difficulty-wise, as well as turning off those annoying tutorials

Make sailing more fun – anyone who played the original Wind Waker will know that sailing in the game could be a bit of a chore. Lengthy and repetitive, Zelda fans agree that a way to make sailing faster and more enjoyable is a must when it comes to the new and improved game.

These are just a few of the things Zelda fans would like to see in the brand new Wind Waker, but what improvements would be at the top of your list?

http://operationrainfall.com/press-release-fan-requests-for-zelda/

I don't really agree with the 3rd point, but I'm aware that many people didn't like much, especially the Triforce Quest.

He told the ABC news network that HD capabilities of the Wii U will be able to “breathe new life” into the game, and also hinted that the game will have upgraded graphics, along with enhance lighting, better cel shading and overall, a more dynamic and vibrant look.

He does know they've put out artworks and test screenshots already right? :p

I could have told him that! lol

I hope they don't change sailing too much because it will ruin the sense of adventure. If anything, give us the option to buy/find an upgraded sail that let's us travel faster.

More than anything I just want an extra dungeon and a couple of islands that actually feature some characters. The whole of overworld in Wind Waker only had like 50 people in it in total! Give us a dominion rod type item as well in order to control other characters...playing that song was so annoying!

I hope they don't change sailing too much because it will ruin the sense of adventure. If anything, give us the option to buy/find an upgraded sail that let's us travel faster.

I'd like a "magic sail" available later on, which keeps the wind behind you when you turn.

He told the ABC news network that HD capabilities of the Wii U will be able to “breathe new life” into the game, and also hinted that the game will have upgraded graphics, along with enhance lighting, better cel shading and overall, a more dynamic and vibrant look.

If Miyamoto said that, it's interesting, because (to me) what we've seen so far doesn't look cel-shaded. Looks fantastic though.

* Pictobox can hold more pictures

* Sculptor makes your sculptures instantly

* Certain characters do not disappear at certain points (so it's easier to get their Pictograph)

If they change the sailing, at least keep it as proper sailing. An optional, faster sail would be fine, and maybe a few more warp points, but if they "motorised" the boat it would just be like Phantom Hourglass - sit back and let the game take you where you want to go. Not as enjoyable, in my opinion.

Warp point in every god damn grid square please. The sailing blows.

This is still coming this year right? I'm not expecting any big changes to the core game except for visuals, you wont get any of that cut content.

But, couldn't you do that already in the original game. You could set sail in the direction you wanted and go and make a cup of tea. By the time you got back, you were usually there.

I would like the ability to be able to swim further than a few meters before drowning. And more populated islands than before

I think you're missing the point of the game.

I'm really not. Dungeons are the point of any Zelda. I'm sorry man but the sailing just isn't interesting or fun, it doesn't help that there's nothing of real interest to search for in the game world except for a bunch of tiny islands with shit all on them.

I'd often just set sail and leave the game it to its own devices for 5 minutes whilst waiting to get to the destination. That to me just screams how boring the sailing really is.

Oh I've thought of one thing I'd like them to sort out for the remake. Not have the map translating cost so god damn much, money grabbing Tingle. All I wanted to do was get that stupid TF quest out the way but noooo better go get a crap load of rupees because Tingle is going bend you over and then whisper in your ear "I'm going in dry".

I'm really not. Dungeons are the point of any Zelda.

I really think you are, though. Dungeons are nifty, but they're not the main point of Zelda, by any means.

I'm sorry man but the sailing just isn't interesting or fun, it doesn't help that there's nothing of real interest to search for in the game world except for a bunch of tiny islands with shit all on them.

I'd often just set sail and leave the game it to its own devices for 5 minutes whilst waiting to get to the destination. That to me just screams how boring the sailing really is.

See, this is why you didn't find any Triforce pieces, nor any of the stuff you could find before you actually had to.

I'm really not. Dungeons are the point of any Zelda. I'm sorry man but the sailing just isn't interesting or fun, it doesn't help that there's nothing of real interest to search for in the game world except for a bunch of tiny islands with shit all on them.

Oh I've thought of one thing I'd like them to sort out for the remake. Not have the map translating cost so god damn much, money grabbing Tingle. All I wanted to do was get that stupid TF quest out the way but noooo better go get a crap load of rupees because Tingle is going bend you over and then whisper in your ear "I'm going in dry".

Exploration, adventure and discovery are the points of any Zelda game, not the dungeons. IMO.

The sailing is excellent. That moment when you're deep at sea and it starts thundering and raining...at the exact same time it's doing it in real life! (Complete with open window and cool breeze drifting in, small droplets...) I think the only thing that needs adding is those cut dungeons. Doubt we'll get them though. Hard Mode and Boss Attack is about all to expect.

See, this is why you didn't find any Triforce pieces, nor any of the stuff you could find before you actually had to.

Why would I want to do any of that when the sailing itself is dull as dishwater? There's nothing of worth to find in the ocean and the less said about the Triforce stuff the better, easily one of the worst parts of any game I've played.

There are moments when sailing is cool and very atmospheric like when you come across a Tornado, the way the skies darken and stuff, that's cool as hell. They just didn't do enough like that to keep the sailing interesting to me.

And I play Zelda primarily for the Dungeons. Everything after them is second. Imo of course.

edit -

if it makes anyone feel better I have the same issues with TP. The overworld is big much like the ocean but still very much lacking in anything of interest. Thankfully riding Epona just isn't as tiresome.

Edited by bryanee

The problem with sailing was that it was done lazily. What could have been entertaining was made lacklustre owing to a lack of visible markers and interesting in-sail entertainment. It was mostly endless blue until you reached the island in question, with the occasional attack by a weak enemy that posed no real threat.

Turning direction required an interruption which made the whole thing seem a bit disjointed.

It would have been better if there was less to traverse or more to do and explore along the way. I also agree with the above that Triforce hunting was dull as hell.

The problem with sailing was that it was done lazily. What could have been entertaining was made lacklustre owing to a lack of visible markers and interesting in-sail entertainment. It was mostly endless blue until you reached the island in question, with the occasional attack by a weak enemy that posed no real threat.

Turning direction required an interruption which made the whole thing seem a bit disjointed.

It would have been better if there was less to traverse or more to do and explore along the way. I also agree with the above that Triforce hunting was dull as hell.

I disagree about less to traverse, but more vessels to interact with on the way. Going to an island, you see another pirate vessel n the waters, or a shipping vessel or something like that

Why would I want to do any of that when the sailing itself is dull as dishwater? There's nothing of worth to find in the ocean

My point is that your second sentence isn't true.

If you do pay attention to your surroundings, you see previously-unseen Islands, as well as NPCs and advice-giving fish. Exploring these islands is the equivalent of checking out caves (or basically anything) in foot-based Zeldas.

But considering you play Zeldas for the dungeons, yeah, I can see why you didn't see anything to do there.

I think sailing would have been more fun if The Wind Waker had been The Elder Scrolls. Instead of finding a tiny island with nothing on it but a boulder that you can't move (and then returning later to move it only to find 200 rupees), you'd find a small settlement with its own backstory and a bunch of NPCs that give you sidequests and stuff.

That's how you do exploration.

My point is that your second sentence isn't true.

If you do pay attention to your surroundings, you see previously-unseen Islands, as well as NPCs and advice-giving fish. Exploring these islands is the equivalent of checking out caves (or basically anything) in foot-based Zeldas.

Yeah but like I said none of the little islands you find don't have much of anything to explore. And they have nothing of worth for you to collect. The sailing and exploration could of been so much more and it defo feels like there was supposed to be more to do, but you know time constraints.

Anyway I cant wait to see how this looks. I've prepared extra underwear for E3. I wonder if they will stick with the original cel shading or head more in the direction of the Claymation look of the screens they showed during the ND.

I do feel some of the sailing was boring/tired - but there was plenty to do on the overworld for me. Did you visit all the dice islands? Get all the secret maps and scrolls? All the bottles? Find all the fairies? Map out every square? You'd also find that if you explored hard enough, most of the places where you get the encoded maps, there are LOADS of rupees available, too.

I wasn't going to buy this, but I'm starting to remember how awesome WW was - interested to see how it looks, still not sure if I'd pay full price or not.

I want them to do the following:

• Change the Resolution to 1920 x 1080
  • Improve the pictobox + nintendo gallery
  • Gamepad stuff (pictobox, looking at maps, inventory etc.), nothing very special, just the basics
  • Keep their mitts of anything else ;)

I don't want more populated islands, I don't want faster sailing and I don't want the triforce quest to be scrapped. These all added to the feeling and atmosphere of the overall game. There were not very much characters, but they were all filled with personality and character. It made them all very memorable. I prefer that to 500 random forgetable NPC's...

If they really feel the need to add anything, they should just add a temple that doesn't have anything to do with the main quest that you can take on after completing the story.

Don't want to kill the current conversation but that PR was fake.

Even if it was a fake, it would have been just Nintendo UK randomly asking and have nothing to do with the people making it.

• 2 weeks later...
1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!