N-Europe

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Retro_Link

Posted on 14 August by Fred Dutton – SCEE Blog Manager

Gamescom 2013 is coming!

In just a few short days we’ll be packing our bags and heading over to Cologne, Germany for the annual Gamescom extravaganza. PlayStation will of course have a major presence on the Koelnmesse show floor, with attendees able to get their hands on many of the biggest titles heading to PS3, PS Vita and PS4.

On Tuesday 20th August – the evening before the doors open – we’ll be holding our regular Gamescom press conference, where we’ll be showcasing the future of all things PlayStation. The show will be packed with news on both announced and unannounced titles – suffice to say, you won’t want to miss it.

You’ll be able to watch the conference in full right here on PlayStation Blog, on our dedicated Gamescom page, or in PlayStation Home from 6.00pm BST/7.00pm CET/3.00am (Wednesday) Sydney.

Shortly after the press conference, we’ll be holding a live panel discussion hosted by journalist and broadcaster Dan Maher, where some of the biggest names in PlayStation gaming, including Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida, Beyond: Two Souls director David Cage and Assassin’s Creed writer Darby McDevitt will be sitting down to discuss the role of narrative and storytelling in games.

This too will be streamed live for your enjoyment, and what’s more we want you to get involved. Firstly, we’ll be inviting you to Tweet your question on the topic of ‘storytelling in games’ to @PlayStationEU using the #PlayStationGC hashtag.

Less than a week to go! :yay:

Really? Man, you missed out on soooooooooo many good games. :(

I was a massive Nintendo fanboy, i.e. a moron.

I caught up on the Metal Gear Solid series before MGS4 and all the HD releases were perfect for me (SOTC, Ico and God of War). I couldn't exactly ask my parents for more than one console, but I started working near the beginning of this generation and bought all three. None of that missing out rubbish anymore!

...except I couldn't play Halo 4 because I gave my 360 to my friend and I won't give Nintendo any home console money until I believe in them again.

I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same. :heh:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, in a weird way for me the PS3 feels like a spiritual sucessor to the N64. I'm not sure I can explain why. Most powerful console which only first parties took full advantage of, maybe?

--

EDIT:

Polygon have done a write up of Doki Doki Universe.

Doki Doki Universe: a robot's journey through humanity

A little robot with a salad bowl-shaped head is dropped off on an asteroid by its human family. They're abandoning it, but it doesn't know it yet. Clutching its suitcase in one hand and a talking red balloon in another, it waits. Days turn into weeks turn into months turn into years. The little robot continues to wait, suitcase by its side, the balloon — miraculously — still inflated.

Read more...

This video totally passed me by at E3. I think it looks ace.

Edited by Daft

A Ubisoft rep was in Cardiff earlier today demo'ing the new Splinter Cell, Black Flag and Watch Dogs on PS3. Also had PS4 versions of Black Flag and Watch Dogs. And, they had a PS4 controller with them to demo with. Controller look pretty nice when seeing it in the flesh. It's a shame, he wouldn't let me hold it. Was nice to see it though.

Hai guys. I have a question - will the PS4 be able to connect to a monitor and have the sound output go separately to different speakers, like the 360 and the VGA cable or the PS3 with hdmi out/composite sound out combo?

Gonna be annoying and very expensive if I have to buy a television for the thing - and I'm really quite fond of my monitor.

Hai guys. I have a question - will the PS4 be able to connect to a monitor and have the sound output go separately to different speakers, like the 360 and the VGA cable or the PS3 with hdmi out/composite sound out combo?

Gonna be annoying and very expensive if I have to buy a television for the thing - and I'm really quite fond of my monitor.

The PS4 has no analogue AV output but it does have Optical out. You could look into buying something like this but it'll need its own power source and I have no real idea whether there'll be a noticeable degrade in sound quality.

Hope this helps.

I was a massive Nintendo fanboy, i.e. a moron.

To be a Nintendo fanboy in the era of the N64/Gamecube was not moronic. I didn't have a PS2 either, doesn't mean I missed out. I played many of the biggest titles on others' systems or picked them up later. Up until the Wii, if I had to go back and do it again, and could still only have one system because of money constraints etc. (as a kid, basically), it would still be Nintendo. I imagine most of us are here in the first place because we felt the same....