NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Rumour: Sony dropping DualShock design for PS4 controller, PS4 being revealed in a matter of weeks

Another day, another rumour concerning the next generation of games consoles. According to a source close to UK video games website, CVG, Sony are planning to abandon the iconic DualShock design for the Playstation 4/Orbis - in favour of a brand new biometric design with an inbuilt screen. Read on for more details.

Another day, another rumour concerning the next generation of games consoles. According to a source close to UK video games website, CVG, Sony are planning to abandon the iconic DualShock design for the Playstation 4/Orbis - in favour of a brand new biometric design with an inbuilt screen.

CVG's source states: "Experiments within Sony's R&D department are thought to have been extensive. Versions of the new PS4 pad include biometric sensors on the grips and an LCD touch screen"

A second, separate source who is also connected to Sony said that Sony and Playstation engineers are "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita". CVG believe that this means that the PS4 will allow for deep integration with Sony's portable console, PS Vita.

Rob Crossley, CVG's Associate Editor went on to say that "The new PS4 controller design, which remains a closely guarded secret across the PlayStation organisation, is expected to break new mould for Sony." and that "The new console - codenamed Orbis - will be revealed in a matter of weeks, not months."

Seems a bit strange to me that they abandon it in favour of something very Vita (Wii U)... because why not just integrate the Vita (we all knows it needs the help/purpose).

And also they say such changes would allow for deep Vita integration when surely it would be more the opposite?... taking away opportunities from the Vita.

Revealed within weeks, not months?... yes please, leaves E3 for the games; but I wont be buying it for sometime anyway so ultimately it would make little difference

I actually believe the story about the controller having biometric capabilities. I went to a talk by a researcher of using biometrics in games a few weeks ago which was really interesting. What he alluded to was that all the major gaming companies are researching biometric / biofeedback in games too. Though he was under NDA to say which companies he had spoken to or worked with :sad:

As a concept, biometric gaming is incredibly promising because of the ability to measure things that we don't have direct control of. For example, if you were playing ZombiU, the game might make it more difficult for you to go through your backpack, unlock doors etc if it knows your heart is racing!

The Biometric design intrigues me because that is something Valve have been talking about concerning their idea for a bespoke controller. Ultimately if it were a Steam Box only feature, the only games to ever make use ofi it would be indie games and Valve's own titles and even then, it would have to be optional if they were to make it consoles. That would make it a lot of effort for something very few people would ever end up using... like a few of Nintendo's experiments.

But if Sony got in on the act as well, and Sony have had ties to Steam in the past, maybe it means they have been talking to each other about what the other wants.

And don't forget, the Ouya has a touch screen on its controller, well, touch panel, so it's not like it has to be some huge monsterous thing - just something that can offer a different level of control from a button/stick.

Sounds like a casual device. But it is a rumour. If Sony ditch the Dual Shock and do these things mentioned I will not be buying their next system.

Seems a bit strange to me that they abandon it in favour of something very Vita (Wii U)... because why not just integrate the Vita (we all knows it needs the help/purpose).

I dunno...let me think...because the Vita costs about £180 at the moment? And unless it came bundled with the PS4 as standard the integration could never be assumed by the developers (fragmenting the potential audience for the game) and thus always a risk (which with massive AAA game budgets probaly isn't worth taking)?

Releasing this kind of controller and then extending the functionality to include the Vita (in effect giving you a second - potentially much better quality [delux, even {I like brackets}] - controller makes WAAAAAY more business sense).

I wouldn't be surprised if they added a screen. Nor would it suprise me too if Microsoft went that route. They were all heading that way before the Wii U was revealed (I'm sure we'll hear the usual 'unoriginal' argument yet again, and again, ad nauseum). Also I expect a touch pad on the back like the Vita.

It's about time Sony switch up the DS. Honestly, just for the sake of change.

Sounds like a casual device. But it is a rumour. If Sony ditch the Dual Shock and do these things mentioned I will not be buying their next system.

Sound logic there.

It's about time Sony switch up the DS. Honestly, just for the sake of change.

Do I have to go looking for the PS3 "Batarang" Controller pic?

I hope so. The Dual Shock is one of the worst "big system" controllers in recent memory.

It was only an afterthought from the PSX days - "Oh - a load of games are 3D now, we'd better add analogue sticks to our existing controller, now where can we put 'em?"

41917869.jpg

"Oh...there we go, fuck it, let's go down the pub"

1111413_091220181836_IMG_1808.JPG

Though I do like the analogue face buttons.

I'll tell you what @Cube, lets all just sit in the dark and discuss nothing.

I dunno...let me think...because the Vita costs about £180 at the moment?
Oh no I know, but then it isn't selling, prices may have come down on it a bit (or they could re-spec it to compliment the PS4), and yeah the GamePad is supposedly £100+, so like the Wii U they'd just have to take a hit on console price (not a strategy worth pursuing though).

Sony have to integrate the Vita with the PS4 anyway if it isn't to die this year; but yeah maybe that's not the solution.

Nintendo has the Gamepad, Microsoft Smartglass, it just seemed Sony's answer would be the Vita (with a price cut maybe) and not something brand new.

But anyway, yeah I can see the rest happening.

Whilst I always dismissed the Dualshock, now that I actually own one and use it more often it's not as bad as I'd previously thought, but yeah, it's still the worst of the lot.

EDIT: duh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh Batarang...

41717-boom.jpg

A Vita like controller with an improved for factor, gutted of processor. I can see something like that happening, yeah. Also, if the Vita is £180 at the moment there is no chance in hell the Wii U pad is £100+.

Do I have to go looking for the PS3 "Batarang" Controller pic?

What, a pointless comparison between Sony once trying to just change the form (but everyone maoned and they chickened out) and now a generation later - in which the technologicaly landscape is pretty much unrecognisable, post-iPad, post-Wii, post-iOS, post-Kinect - where Sony are looking to change the inate functionality of the controller?

No, no, you definitely do not have to.

Edited by Daft

Sony should do something like Smartglass. It has its uses but its too limited going by the Wiiu.

The vita makes good use of its screen but do we need more (onscreen) buttons and stuff? A normal controller like the dual shock is almost impossible to beat.

I have to be honest, I'd be up for a screen on all three controllers. Not that I need Sony/MS to validate Nintendo's ideas, it's juat that the only "problem" I have with the Wii U controller (apart from lack of analogue triggers) is that I didn't think it would become an industry standard. If it does though, great, Nintendo would deserve saluting for its forward thinking.

I believe it when i see it, but i was only planning on having a PS4 and WiiU this gen so i'll be happy to see it

A Vita like controller with an improved for factor, gutted of processor. I can see something like that happening, yeah. Also, if the Vita is £180 at the moment there is no chance in hell the Wii U pad is £100+.

No internals, better shape for holding, bigger/better analogue sticks, analogue triggers (the Vita would have to emulate this with the rear touch pad). Could work pretty well.

I don't really know what I want from the new system, so I'm hoping Sony have been doing their research and have come up with some cool ideas. I feel there needs to be some sort of innovation with the controller, but it needs to remain traditional at the same time. For me, an extra screen isn't the answer to anything.

More than the control interface, I think extra processing power will have a marked impact on the new games we'll be playing because big developers are always hitting limits when making design choices, especially this far into the cycle. Expanding the scope of environments, improving in-game physics and increasing interactivity = exciting possibilities. Obviously that's true for every generational leap, but it's been 7 years now. I'm excited.

Only a little bit though.

I wouldn't mind a small screen for some little HUD elements, perhaps with it's own (very low spec) processor and stuff so you can do some stuff away from the PS3, like....erm....looking after Chao.

I'm actually quite excited about the PS4/Orbis. We pretty much knew everything about the Vita a year before it came out, the Wii U was/is fairly predictable and that reveal was known a few months before being officially announced.

And one more thing...

FUCKING NEXT-GEN NAUGHTY DOG

I'm ready to be excited but I have a nagging concern they might not actually release a console this year. Everyone's saying they will but, you know, I'd like a Sony conference announced pronto.

I'm ready to be excited but I have a nagging concern they might not actually release a console this year. Everyone's saying they will but, you know, I'd like a Sony conference announced pronto.

The Wii U isn't making a colossal buzz, not to the extent some people were expecting. I suspect that this - as well as the power of the Wii U (or how no game so far shows off it's power) - has convinced both Sony and Microsoft that they don't need to release their consoles this year.

I also find it ironic that the rumoured codename for one of the components is "Liverpool", when they've recently shut down their Liverpool studio.

I think every website just wants to chip in and get some hits out of the rumour bandwagon.

some people are saying that all these specs are old and that both machines are different now.

I have to be honest, I'd be up for a screen on all three controllers. Not that I need Sony/MS to validate Nintendo's ideas, it's juat that the only "problem" I have with the Wii U controller (apart from lack of analogue triggers) is that I didn't think it would become an industry standard. If it does though, great, Nintendo would deserve saluting for its forward thinking.

the back touch panel is handy on the Vita for extra buttons and such as its missing some. I did really like the controls in unit 13 where the touch screen could be used as buttons for reload , arming explosives etc. through icons on the side of the screen. But do we need them?

That Digital Foundry article was certainly interesting, but I can't claim I understood all of it. The PS4 seems a much more attractive prospect at this point than Xbox3, with Windows 8 galore, Kinect 2 and a silly projector (although I will say I've been impressed by some of Microsoft's R&D projects of late).

I'd be pleased if it had some kind of screen in the controller a la Wii U - I find it improves the usability of the system in so many small ways that add up.

I know it's annoying when someone asks this of a new console, but what are the chances of back-compatibility?

I suspect Gaikai will be the best bet for backward compatibility. I can't imagine the PS4 will play PS3 games.

What, a pointless comparison between Sony once trying to just change the form (but everyone maoned and they chickened out) and now a generation later - in which the technologicaly landscape is pretty much unrecognisable, post-iPad, post-Wii, post-iOS, post-Kinect - where Sony are looking to change the inate functionality of the controller?

No, no, you definitely do not have to.

The boomerang controller was in reference to your statement how even just change for the sake of change would be good for the DS controller at this point. That monstrosity they came up with is the very result of change for change's sake.

Adding new functionality to provide a better solution to an issue of control not offered by the exiting setup is not change for changes sake. Change has to do something the existing device can not without sacrificing those things that it already does well.

But at the same time, it's no good trying to "keep up with the joneses" with last minute additions to a controller because all that results in is 6-axis where they throw it in without speaking to devs and expect them to suddenly start using it well right off the bat when it wasn't even something they were asking for. Some went on to use it really well, others might as well not have bothered.

If they are going to start adding widgets and gizmos to the controller, which in turn drive up the cost, I hope it's because they, and their partners, have good ideas concerning the types of games they intend to make with it and not treat it as a distant after thought.

You're right about how things have moved on and no doubt it is something they have considered. I agree with the rest of your post, and subsequent ones - it was just that one line I took issue with.