Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Retro_Link

Experience, as much as anything, tells me that it just isn't for me. Gaming for over two decades gives you a decent grasp of what you look for in a game and what gets you excited :smile:

There are obviously exceptions, Splatoon being a supreme example of that recently, but it's like how if you go to rent a suit and the tailor knows your size without even having to measure you. You can often just tell whether a game is right for you or not.

Considering I'm enjoying playing things like Wii Sports Club, Yoshi's Woolly World, Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 as well as the games in Wii Fit Plus, The Witcher 3 would be quite a departure from those sorts of experiences!

Maybe it's too hardcore for me these days and I have no real desire to sink my teeth into something like that. Is casual becoming my core..? :eek:

Looking at the games that you're currently playing, you could say that they're quite "light-hearted" games, so having something darker in contrast could help to strike a balance.

I think going off experience can be a dangerous thing at times, since it immediately means you're closing the door on certain things without really giving them a chance. Going on past experiences of what I do know I like, I should hate Bloodborne and it shouldn't even be a game that I would consider. Yet, it's one of my favourite games this year. There's a lot to be said for branching out and trying different things because that's how you find the new "classics".

Looking at the games that you're currently playing, you could say that they're quite "light-hearted" games, so having something darker in contrast could help to strike a balance.

I think going off experience can be a dangerous thing at times, since it immediately means you're closing the door on certain things without really giving them a chance. Going on past experiences of what I do know I like, I should hate Bloodborne and it shouldn't even be a game that I would consider. Yet, it's one of my favourite games this year. There's a lot to be said for branching out and trying different things because that's how you find the new "classics".

I totally get that and I agree, for the most part :smile: There are some games where you just know, though, and it definitely wouldn't be a good idea for me to go out and buy a PS4 just to see if it somehow wins me over :heh:

If in doubt, wait until it's cheaper. That's been my mantra recently and because of that I've had a blast with The Order and Dying Light. In a weird way, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed them as much at launch; maybe a mixture of the price and not living up to 'hype'; but for a good price and in a no-hype context, they've been pretty outstanding games.

Currently downloading N++.

Apparently an insanely difficulty platformer. Can't wait. :awesome:

Edit: Haven't even played a single level and I can say...GOTY. Sorry Geralt.

OUpIwyE.jpg

That's Numberwang!

Edited by drahkon

Seeking a recommendation: I played the first 5-10 mins of Journey on PS3 at some point and it didn't grab me at all. Should I give it another go?
I'd say so, yeah. It only takes around an hour to finish anyway, and can be pretty special if you manage to get through it in a single session with another player.

Seeking a recommendation: I played the first 5-10 mins of Journey on PS3 at some point and it didn't grab me at all. Should I give it another go?

I played through the entire game and it didn't grab me :hmm:

I definitely intend to play it again at some point to see if I somehow missed the magic of it first time around but, from my point of view, it seemed vastly overrated.

I guess it isn't for everyone ::shrug:

It depends on who you bump into on your journey, I found.

If I were you I'd just wait until it was on sale. Or not pick it up. It's a great game but it's one that involves - to be utterly reductive - pushing forward on the analogue stick.

What I would say is that it does pick up pace as you go through, so the first three areas do feel the slowest. It quickly sweeps you up, though.

I did. I'll skip Journey then.

Couldn't resist bringing that up. UP. UPPPP. :D

As for Journey, I loved it, although it's difficult to explain why. To me, it was an interesting and (at times) a magical adventure. In terms of the gameplay, it's very, very simple. It's not got a long play-time, but I don't think it could really have been much longer without it being detrimental to that experience.

If you played it for a bit and it didn't grab you, I don't think it'll be something you'll enjoy. Funny enough, if the opening segment of UP didn't leave you bawling like a baby, you're not going to be a fan of it at the end of the film either. It's very similar to that. The game has a way of making you feel invested in the visuals, sound, the world (or...lack of it at times, I guess), and if those components don't grab you, then it's probably not worth the money atm.

If it comes up as a free PS+ game, I'd give it a try and maybe (in the right mood) it'll become a bit more magical for you. Had I played Journey on a bad day, I think I could have hated it.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I'm not an emotional brick, the beginning of Up was very upsetting. Doesn't make it good. It's pretty easy to sadden someone with reminders of the mortality of their loved ones....

I'll get it if it's ever a bit cheaper and/or I'm in a slightly better place in life!

I'm not an emotional brick, the beginning of Up was very upsetting. Doesn't make it good. It's pretty easy to sadden someone with reminders of the mortality of their loved ones....

I'll get it if it's ever a bit cheaper and/or I'm in a slightly better place in life!

Heh, didn't mean to imply that you were an emotional brick. :D

Rather that if you didn't really enjoy the opening 15 minutes or so (of the game), then I doubt you'll like the rest of it either. It's similar to that opening segment in UP in the sense that not a lot is really told verbally to the viewer, but you can put the pieces together yourself to figure out what's going on. Ish. There's a bit more of that happening in Journey, which is why I think I connected with it quite a bit, as I liked the way that it did it.

My advice would be to wait for a dealio. It's, what, £9.99 or something at the moment? Can see it being a plus game in the future or dropping in price (at least for a while). You never know, maybe it'll turn out to be better than you expected the next time you play it.

I was just browsing the selection of PS4 titles in Game, and wow - for a fairly newish console the variety of games on offer already is quiet incredible. (coming from a former Wii U only owner).

Is the PS4 experience as good as the game shelves make it out to be?

There's even more variety once you get onto the Playstation Store and check out all the digital only games as well.

But yeah the machine pretty much takes up all my free time, very addictive and great selection of games!

I was just browsing the selection of PS4 titles in Game, and wow - for a fairly newish console the variety of games on offer already is quiet incredible. (coming from a former Wii U only owner).

Is the PS4 experience as good as the game shelves make it out to be?

Yes. I'm gaming more and am more interested in playing games now than I have been ever before.

The PSN titles are pretty great. Possibly even more so impressive if you were Wii-only (like I was) last gen.

Also, buying games online has just made things cheaper, tbh. I paid £35 for The Witcher 3, the same price for Arkham Knight and the same price for FIFA last year. You can amass a good selection of games pretty cheaply now, especially as there's the likes of PS+ and the deals on the store.

Yes. I'm gaming more and am more interested in playing games now than I have been ever before.

The PSN titles are pretty great. Possibly even more so impressive if you were Wii-only (like I was) last gen.

Also, buying games online has just made things cheaper, tbh. I paid £35 for The Witcher 3, the same price for Arkham Knight and the same price for FIFA last year. You can amass a good selection of games pretty cheaply now, especially as there's the likes of PS+ and the deals on the store.

Sounds like a juicy steak of gaming there.

I respect how Playstation has dominated, as going by what I saw in store, they are the forerunners for making gaming relevant and respectable.

I know I'll get a PS4 at some point if just for FF7 - but even with the current games available its worth it - Those small games like Moto GP 2015 (fan of it) that you can only dream of reaching a Nintendo console is already available!

Do you use the Blu Ray player much? What are the main improvements over DVD and streaming?

Do you use the Blu Ray player much? What are the main improvements over DVD and streaming?

All depends on your Internet speed really. Blu ray is better quality than DVD and as I dont have a good enough Internet connection to stream in HD, blu ray is still a better option for me.