NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Well he redeemed the code, says he has 90 days :S

Also he can see my entire download history and is taking what he wants right now.

Ok cool. I have no idea how these codes work.

Yeah he can use anything as long as he is the only shared PS3.

Sony sent me a 30 day code for PS+ which I gave to a friend. But this draws a few questions for me:

1. If I used that 30 day code, would I have gotten a free 30 days of PS+ on top of what I have already?

It would not have worked. I tried it myself, and even though I am not a current subscriber, I had subscribed previously therefore was ineligible. It's for new customers only.

Anyone know of any deals going for new consoles - in particular the PS4 yet? I'm thinking it may be a bit early for the offers to start just yet though.

You can pick up a PS4 from ShopTo for £348.98. Bargain.

£340 on Toys R Us

I'm thinking of holding out until Infamous is released. Though it would mean resisting Watch Dogs until new year too. GTA will probably keep me busy and the new PES is meant to be good....

This'll give people a better idea of PS4 controller's size.

uP4KpSg.jpg

The guys on GT Invisible Walls said it was really comfortable, and generally more so than the XBone controller.

The guys on GT Invisible Walls said it was really comfortable, and generally more so than the XBone controller.

Yeah both Giant Bomb and Weekend Confirmed podcasts also seem to be taking that stand. Once change I'd like to see is a less shiny touch pad. Isn't the back of the Vita textured somehow? I think I'd prefer that!

In other news amazon started taking preorders here... so $399 stand alone or $450 with either Watchdogs or Battlefield 4 or $499 with Killzone and a year of playstation plus.

Both the controllers are really freakin' ugly, but the PS4's slightly moreso. It looks like a third party PS3 controller. And why does the d-pad still get so much room on there, considering you hardly ever use it for movement...

Pretty much all controllers are ugly. The DS3 looks duff, it's only redeeming feature is it has become iconic.

ps4-controller-vs-ps3-controller-580-75.jpg

Will the supermarkets do good deals?

I got my launch PS3 from Asda last time. No discount sadly.

I don't think the PS4 controller is that big, i just think it's really wide. Like Henning Wehn's face.

And why does the d-pad still get so much room on there, considering you hardly ever use it for movement...

They weren't going to move the left stick, so it's not like they were using that space for anything else. Besides, the GameCube had a tiny d-pad that didn't take up a lot of space, and that rivaled the 360 d-pad in horribleness. :heh:

I think the DS3 looks really good personally, there's a case of stiff nips about the new model. S'all about the feel & build though so I'm not bothered.

Have never understood the stick placement criticism. It's what I'm used to.

39154420.jpg

Looks like it.

Still waiting for Amazon.de to bring forward a sweet deal. You know, something like PS4 + Game for 450€.

I think the DS3 looks really good personally, there's a case of stiff nips about the new model. S'all about the feel & build though so I'm not bothered.

Have never understood the stick placement criticism. It's what I'm used to.

Yes if you go back to a DS1 or 2 they feel horrendous by comparison, changes were certainly made! I'd never understood the stick issue either if I'm honest.

IGN did this on the PS4 Camera being a late omission to beat Microsoft on price:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/sony-sacrificed-the-playstation-4-camera-to-beat-microsoft-on-price

They did kind of kill the camera straight up, if it's not in the box then it's not going to be a big part of 99% of games. I mean all the stuff about the camera recognising the controller and being able to work out positioning like the move is now dead. Not sure how big a lose that will be all in.

Weird how this gen is partly being defined by what was taken out, I wonder how many Xbox One single player games will now suffer as a result of not being able to draw from "the cloud" for AI and such or at least offering an option of their game play cycle where this doesn't exist. How much of this is real and overstated we may never truly know this generation.

But in its efforts to undercut the Xbox One, Sony has damned the accessory to a future of fragmented consumer adoption and inconsistent software support.

This makes it a massive plus point for the PS4.

The ign article is strange. Its nonsense that the webcam had that much of an effect. You can buy hd webcams in shops for a couple pounds nowadays. Thats just the UK.

The webcams wont have played much of a role in the overall pricing. Maybe £20-25 and thats probably over valuing them. PSeye maybe £10-15 or so if Kinect really costs more with extra chipsets being involved(i am pushing costs unrealistically high i know). The most expensive parts will be the GPU and GDDR5 in the case of the PS4. The GDDR5 and likely hdd will decline slowest. I am also wondering how much will the cooling cost in version 1 of the PS4. Xbone uses a simply 2 heatpipe heatsink and a basic fan. PS4 might be like the PS3 slim v1.

In the case of the Xbone and its RRP its simply MS(and Nintendo) gunning for higher margins. Hence the DRM, larger box, clowd powa and everything they have been doing as of late. The pressure on the group is high which the most logical explanation i can think of. For Sony a 10% margin is high. For MS and Nintendo it would be several hundred percent.

Edited by Choze

The ign article is strange. Its nonsense that the webcam had that much of an effect. You can buy hd webcams in shops for a couple pounds nowadays. Thats just the UK.

The webcams wont have played much of a role in the overall pricing. Maybe £20-25 and thats probably over valuing them. PSeye maybe £10-15 or so if Kinect really costs more with extra chipsets being involved(i am pushing costs unrealistically high i know). The most expensive parts will be the GPU and GDDR5 in the case of the PS4. The GDDR5 and likely hdd will decline slowest. I am also wondering how much will the cooling cost in version 1 of the PS4. Xbone uses a simply 2 heatpipe heatsink and a basic fan. PS4 might be like the PS3 slim v1.

In the case of the Xbone and its RRP its simply MS(and Nintendo) gunning for higher margins. Hence the DRM, larger box, clowd powa and everything they have been doing as of late. The pressure on the group is high which the most logical explanation i can think of. For Sony a 10% margin is high. For MS and Nintendo it would be several hundred percent.

Yeah apart from the fact that we know that's not the case with Nintendo as they make a slim loss on the Wii U.

Yeah apart from the fact that we know that's not the case with Nintendo as they make a slim loss on the Wii U.

Good thing they're not selling any units then!

Sorry, had to.

Amazing they make a loss. Hard to beleive or they are the most incompetent company in the world

So it's ok to use the "Thanks" system sarcastically right?

Yes if you go back to a DS1 or 2 they feel horrendous by comparison, changes were certainly made! I'd never understood the stick issue either if I'm honest.

IGN did this on the PS4 Camera being a late omission to beat Microsoft on price:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/sony-sacrificed-the-playstation-4-camera-to-beat-microsoft-on-price

They did kind of kill the camera straight up, if it's not in the box then it's not going to be a big part of 99% of games. I mean all the stuff about the camera recognising the controller and being able to work out positioning like the move is now dead. Not sure how big a lose that will be all in.

Weird how this gen is partly being defined by what was taken out, I wonder how many Xbox One single player games will now suffer as a result of not being able to draw from "the cloud" for AI and such or at least offering an option of their game play cycle where this doesn't exist. How much of this is real and overstated we may never truly know this generation.

Like Cube said, brilliant. I don't want cameras to be a part of games. It's just a gimmick that can detract from meaningful gameplay.

Amazing they make a loss. Hard to believe or they are the most incompetent company in the world

Fuck no...

... that 'achievement' goes to Microsoft. ;)