NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

I was fine with paying for it on the 360 (Xbox Live was much more reliable than PSN), I'm fine paying for the PS4, as long as the infrastructure is better (which is looks to be).

You're paying for a service.

I've already stated why most people here aren't that bothered; they're not affected in the slightest because they already have Plus subscriptions.

Hm, that sounds suspiciously like my argument for why it's ok to have Netflix behind the XBL Gold pay wall... And Xbox Live Gold is adding free games and PS+ is making theirs worse...

Hm, that sounds suspiciously like my argument for why it's ok to have Netflix behind the XBL Gold pay wall... And Xbox Live Gold is adding free games and PS+ is making theirs worse...

It's not the same at all.

You've only ever had Gold because you need to have Gold to play online. Also, Xbox are only giving away 360 games now that the console is near its end. It's an empty gesture and there's no suggestion that it will continue onto the One.

I signed up to Plus because it is awesome. I didn't have to sign up to Plus to get basic functions on my console. Because it is awesome, I will continue to pay for Plus based on its games alone. Thus, if online is packaged into Plus, despite the fact that I don't think this is friendly to a lot of free players, it won't affect me. Thus, I'm not going to rant about it.

Also - Justifying Netflix behind a wall, seriously? I doubt very much PS4 will follow suit.

Edited by Sheikah

Also - Justifying Netflix behind a wall, seriously? I doubt very much PS4 will follow suit.

Yeah they already confirmed that media stuff wont need PS+

How exactly are they making PS+ worse?

They haven't, he is just making an assumption. That being that because we must now all get Plus, there is no longer a reason for Sony to entice people with good games.

Of course I doubt that will be true. A lot of people don't care about online gaming, but could easily still be enticed by lots of free good games. As well as that it has been one of the best things about the PS3, so Sony would be fools to nerf it and they know it.

I'm not saying PS4 will do the same with Netflix, just that it's the same scenario. "I don't care about Netflix being behind a pay wall because I already pay for XBL Gold for the online gaming". Now it's "I don't care about online gaming going behind a pay wall because I already pay for PS+". What if, hypothetically, Netflix did go into PS+, would you still say "I don't care because I already have PS+"?

How exactly are they making PS+ worse?

Drive Club is going to be limited compared to the retail release, the rest is just an assumption on my part. I think more than half of Xbox users have XBL Gold, if PS+ match subscriber figures like that, there's no need to put such tempting titles in.

Drive Club is going to be limited compared to the retail release, the rest is just an assumption on my part. I think more than half of Xbox users have XBL Gold, if PS+ match subscriber figures like that, there's no need to put such tempting titles in.

A limited release and indie games is an improvement over nothing for 6 months. The PS3 and Vita games will still continue for that period, too.

On top of this, PS+ is a massive "loyalty scheme" and is great for ensuring that many people will stick with your brand. It's also a selling point (more so after the first 6 months) for the console.

PS+ has been a massive success with huge satisfaction from customers. Sony are't just going to piss off all their most loyal fans.

Edited by Cube

I'm confused as to how any of those points are in contrast to the idea that PS+ will decline in quality against its own current standard.

The only reason I would see PS+ declining is because it wont have the back catalogue to pull games from yet so any decline should only be temporary. I think it makes perfect sense that they arent offering the full version of Drive Club but its still awesome of them to have any amount of that launch game free.

I'm not saying PS4 will do the same with Netflix, just that it's the same scenario. "I don't care about Netflix being behind a pay wall because I already pay for XBL Gold for the online gaming". Now it's "I don't care about online gaming going behind a pay wall because I already pay for PS+". What if, hypothetically, Netflix did go into PS+, would you still say "I don't care because I already have PS+"?

The difference is that you are paying to play online and use Netflix, things that you really shouldn't have to pay for but it's an evil you have to side with. With Plus, most of us here were paying for it out of free will because it meant cool free games. Although I don't agree with online fees, with Plus they're much easier to accept if you're actually getting something with value included, not the simple unlocking of stuff that should already be free. The carrot trumps the stick, as it were.

They can't just instantly give everyone a just-launched full game within the Plus subscription or else no one would buy it. The entire cost of the Plus subscription for the year would go to the developers for just that one game. It wouldn't work.

It just needs time.

Either you're all being very optimistic or I'm being very pessimistic. I just think that when we need PS+ for online gaming, they will no longer need quality Instant Game Collection titles to sell it. That is black and white business to me.... Yes, some gamers don't play online at all right now, there's going to be little crossover between that group of people and existing PS+ subscribers though. PS+ subscribers will increase tenfold with the PS4.

I just think you are being pessimistic. The instant game collection is a feature of PS+, one that they have confirmed will be in the PS4 so why wouldnt we assume it will carry on the way it is.

I'm just comparing it to the Vita. After 6 months, they added it to PS+ at no extra cost.

Because the Vita was selling poorly and free downloadable games for Vita means a huge jump in sales for £60 memory cards :p

Just in case it needs pointing out, I approach this from a cautious consumer perspective, not as a Microsoft fanboy. I have An Xbox 360 and did not renew my Gold account last month. I have a PS3 and a Vita and PS+. I just don't think good things like this last forever.

Either you're all being very optimistic or I'm being very pessimistic. I just think that when we need PS+ for online gaming, they will no longer need quality Instant Game Collection titles to sell it. That is black and white business to me.... Yes, some gamers don't play online at all right now, there's going to be little crossover between that group of people and existing PS+ subscribers though. PS+ subscribers will increase tenfold with the PS4.

Black and white business would be to do all the DRM crap that MS did, yet Sony didn't. You've already said something like more than half get Gold - why not tempt the other half / just under with free games?

Whatever way you look at it, it's still a lot better than Gold.

And the eventual "buy the system, and for £40 you'll get these 15 games, plus many more" selling point for selling more consoles.

Well I think we'll just have to wait and see :) If I'm right, I can point it out when you all complain about the decline in quality. If I'm wrong, nobody will remember this \o/

What you have to remember is that the free games you get with PS+ come with no DLC. So you can imagine that the companies involved i.e. Sony and the developer/publisher can expect revenue through the following DLC sales. For example Virtua Fighter 5 came with no character customisation which I bought seperately.

That and it get's you to turn on your Playstation at least once a month to see what's new and try out a free new game.

With these incentives, plus get's sold through word of mouth advertising - friends telling you PS+ is amazing rather than money hungry corporations.

What i've been hearing, not all games will need PS+ to work online. Heard it via the Playstation EU Twitter feed this morning. Which is a bonus really, and that none of the media needs PS+ to work is another great idea. Unlike Xbox which needs Gold to get anything online working just about.

I honestly don't mind paying for PS+, and i don't think any Xbox gamer who is swapping to the PS4 will mind either as we've been paying Gold for years (and got near enough nothing back for our money, exept a few early release privaledges and maybe one or two other things.)

Well I think we'll just have to wait and see :) If I'm right, I can point it out when you all complain about the decline in quality. If I'm wrong, nobody will remember this \o/

It's worth bearing in mind that it'll probably take a year for there to actually be a reasonable number of games worth putting out though.

I'm an average Joe.

I bought a 360 and sold it very soon afterwards because of the Gold subscription required to play online and at this point the PS+ subscription is the only thing preventing me from ordering a PS4.

...But Plus is an awesome reason to get a Playstation console. Forget that multiplayer is now behind it, why wouldn't you want Plus? It's amazing.