NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Yeah, maybe. We'll probably never know for sure. If it does cost that much, then it reeks of Nintendo putting all their eggs into one basket - and now they have egg on their face. That was a super old post (literally six months old) and I don't care enough about the Wii U or its - what I perceive to be lame - novelty control method to find out.

I want the second screen/tablet stuff to die off quickly, but I'd actually like Sony to push the camera more. They should bundle it with every console 6 months down the road after a successful launch, subsidise it by exploiting lower hardware manufacture costs. Unlike Cube I actually think the cameras/microphones have some place in gaming as long as they're supplementary and not inhibitive. We've already seen promising uses and the tech is improving, when every developer gets on board it could really add some new angles to tired trends.

Edited by dwarf

The GamePad has a lot going on inside it though with gyros, NFC, BT, accelerometers, speakers IR blaster, camera, battery etc, etc... BoM of £30-£50 perhaps, then there's factory labour costs, logistics, licences etc, etc.

Yeah, maybe. We'll probably never know for sure. If it does cost that much, then it reeks of Nintendo putting all their eggs into one basket - and now they have egg on their face. That was a super old post (literally six months old) and I don't care enough about the Wii U or its - what I perceive to be lame - novelty control method to find out.

Wow it's turning into the WiiU thread here but since we're on the subject.... I don't give a stuff what the WiiU gamepad costs but what concerns me greatly is that the great minds at Nintendo chose to put basic Tablet technology into a gamepad and then thought the best use for the tech in Mario Kart 8 was to turn the gamepad screen into a horn!

WiiU_MarioKart8_imageP01_E3.jpg

BEEP BEEP!

:(

The conversation may have been comparing the Wii U and PS4, but please do not try and turn this into a Wii U thread with the others closed.

(Not aimed at cooky, just a nip it in the bud thing)

Edited by Ashley

I like the idea that I can stream a game's audio and video to the Vita, it makes gaming a lot more flexible. Other than that, I'm not really bothered.

Wow it's turning into the WiiU thread here but since we're on the subject.... I don't give a stuff what the WiiU gamepad costs but what concerns me greatly is that the great minds at Nintendo chose to put basic Tablet technology into a gamepad and then thought the best use for the tech in Mario Kart 8 was to turn the gamepad screen into a horn!

WiiU_MarioKart8_imageP01_E3.jpg

BEEP BEEP!

:(

Nothing was really done with it in MK7 or DS either. When a game requires your focous on the track, what can you do? I'm pretty sure Sonic and NFS are largely the same. NFS used it for some interesting co-driver options and I'm willing to bet the touchscreen will find a larger part to play in some of the multiplayer modes. Though I'm sure most gamers will find simply playing MK8 off-tv quite the luxury.

Point being 2nd screen will be employed in varying degrees depending on the individual game and that the horn feature in mk8 isn't a measure of the creative peak of 2nd screen, the GamePad or the developers.

Edited by madeinbeats

PS4: 14 things we learned at Develop 2013

Interesting detail.

12. Seamless Remote Play

The PS4 implementation of Remote Play should be much smoother than PS3's thanks to the built-in video chip, which means there's no performance overhead for the game itself – plus the Gakiai technology is used from streaming so it's apparently very low latency. According to Brown, PS4 remote play also supports a local multi-user lobby, so up to four players can connect to the same PS4 at once – and all saved games are bound to the user not the device.

I want the second screen/tablet stuff to die off quickly, but I'd actually like Sony to push the camera more. They should bundle it with every console 6 months down the road after a successful launch, subsidise it by exploiting lower hardware manufacture costs. Unlike Cube I actually think the cameras/microphones have some place in gaming as long as they're supplementary and not inhibitive. We've already seen promising uses and the tech is improving, when every developer gets on board it could really add some new angles to tired trends.

Yeah the second screen stuff is fiddly and a waste of time. Nintendo just havent come up with a good ude of the screen. Camera i am not so sure either. It can be useful. some Vita games use camera for mapping your face(Virtua Tennis 4) which is nice. But its a not so useful optional extra at best. For PS4 my main usage would probably be as a light gun lol.

I presume it will have the same USB headphone support, too. Although it would have been nice with a rear USB slot.

I think I may invest on wireless headset at some point. Been using turtle beaches but they are wired and annoying to gave that cable running all over. Invaluable in my eyes for when you don't wanna disturb the household or don't wanna be disturbed yourself. Also the likes of Dead Space have incredible sound design made all the better by a headset

Sony will be showing off more about PS4 at Gamescom this year, starting with a press conference before the world's biggest games show.

The platform holder will once again host its conference on the Tuesday before the show (August 20th), returning to the Saatenhaus am Rheinpark in Cologne.

The conference will kick off at 7pm Central European Time (6pm in the UK), while doors will open at 6pm CET.

Let the hype commence.

Cannot wait. Hopefully we'll get a release date. In my wildest dreams it'll be an October release.

Hooray for not having to stay up until 3am for a Sony conference.:D

Breaking Bad - 12th August

Premier League -17th August

PS4 conference (with sweet talk from Cerny *crosses fingers*) - 20th August

Not bad, August. Not bad.

Whens the VGAs? Apparently Uncharted 4 will be getting announced then.

Usually December.

You can have up to 2000 people on your friends list.

...I guess that's good.

I don't even have 2 people on my PS3 friends list. It's good to know that I don't need to worry in case I suddenly get very popular, though!

I would add you but...dunno if I can really make the space with the new limits.

It's nice to know that you treat your friends list the same way you do your love life - you'll add anyone who'll have you. :heh:

I decided it was better to not make the distinction between my love life and my PSN friends list; it's about as romantically involved as I'll ever get.

I'll be a regular Casanova on my PS4.