N-Europe

Career or just a long-term job?

Ashley

After a conversation with Daft last week and starting a new job (that I'm not particularly enjoying) I've been thinking about the concept of a 'career'.

When you're a nipper you always hear about having a career and working towards that, but more and more I seem to find people who just have a job that they've had for many years.

Some of it may be the result of responsibilities (i.e. kids) that they have to remain sensible but I was in a meeting the other day and thinking "is this what you guys chose to do with your life, or just end up here?"

So I'm not sure where I'm going, both with my life and this thread, but thought I'd throw it open to you!

As an unemployed, recent graduate, I've been wanting to start a career. However I don't seem to be able to, so I'm currently looking for a job in the mean time. Not that that's going particularly well.

There are many people who aren't interested in a career. They just want a job. Far too much in this society it seems that you're judged if you're happy with a low paid job, and that you're scum if you aren't actively climing the corporate and social ladder.

I've always considered a "career" to be something where you start off with a small job in a massive corporation, where you can move up the chain. I have no idea if working as a permanent position for a small but growing company counts as a career or not.

I think a career is a story; you can have multiple jobs joined with a particular thread of links, and you can claim it to be a career. I want this to be true because there's absolutely no cohesion in my 7 years of adulthood so far, and I'm hoping the career sort of appears, retrospectively joining the incredibly unmagnetic dots on my CV.

My 'career' revolves around things I do and create (whether I get paid for it or I don't). As I am the only constant, I care very little who I do the work for, only that they give me the means to do it. In my eyes, a career is the way to be defined by other people - that idea is unimaginative, too structured and bores me. Of course, it may work for other people.

I'm looking for an adventure and all the uncertainties it brings. Yes there will be setbacks along the way but damn compromise to Hell.

Edited by Daft
Setback: Typos

I remember an episode of Ellen where Ellen broke up with the love of her life because he was happy just delivering pizzas for the rest of his life. I always thought that was mean. :sad:

Of course, then she turned out to be a lesbian, so it all worked out in the end.

I remember an episode of Ellen where Ellen broke up with the love of her life because he was happy just delivering pizzas for the rest of his life. I always thought that was mean. :sad:

Of course, then she turned out to be a lesbian, so it all worked out in the end.

Pizza being a euphemism for penis, clearly. Should've delivered some vagina.

For me I think of a career as being long term with goals and objectives along the way, jobs are the steps to getting there. I think it's true that many people just have jobs with no real career guiding them. I spend the vast majority of my waking hours working so I figure I'd rather enjoy it and try to have some wider goals than just aimlessly working. Even if it's a job you don't hugely enjoy it's still worthwhile if it can lead somewhere.

So far I'd say that I've had 6 jobs at 4 companies which all fit into the same career.

For me I think of a career as being long term with goals and objectives along the way' date=' jobs are the steps to getting there. I think it's true that many people just have jobs with no real career guiding them. I spend the vast majority of my waking hours working so I figure I'd rather enjoy it and try to have some wider goals than just aimlessly working. Even if it's a job you don't hugely enjoy it's still worthwhile if it can lead somewhere.

So far I'd say that I've had 6 jobs at 4 companies which all fit into the same career.[/quote']

What he said!

I'm in a career now I guess...

I Started at the company I work for in July 2007 as a telephone sales agent, scummy wage, felt horrible doing the job as I know how annoying tele-sales are....

but Now... here I am.. Senior Database Administrator for the same company. Recognised by the directors of the company, going out on track days with the major players that work here, involved in many partnerships and integrations we have with companies such as ASDA, Go Compare, Compare the market and such, receive champagne and get paid meals when out meeting their contacts from these companies.

I'd say i've got a career here now.

Edited by Murr

I think a career is a story; you can have multiple jobs joined with a particular thread of links' date=' and you can claim it to be a career. I want this to be true because there's absolutely no cohesion in my 7 years of adulthood so far, and I'm hoping the career sort of appears, retrospectively joining the incredibly unmagnetic dots on my CV.[/quote']

Agree with this : peace:

I'm starting to notice the clues / recurring themes within my work which is forming my career. To me it's a case of understanding your skills and defining which job enables you to use and develop them (rather than assessing a job or career looking only at the day-to-day tasks & requirements).

It actually took a vivid dream where my dream-self was shouting what I wanted to do for me to actually realise it.

I can surf the internet pretty easily at work. /careeraspirations

As can I, the joys of HE. They can't restrict access because it could be used for academic purposes.

Which is of course what I've been doing all day...