Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Power lists the best Wii games 'Wii Essentials'

Wii

In the latest issue of Nintendo Power (No.279) June 2012 they've listed the top 30 Wii games as well as the essential Wiiware games and Virtual console titles.

The Must-Haves

Donkey Kong Country Returns

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Little King's Story

Mario Kart Wii

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Rayman Origins

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Xenoblade Chronicles

mustw0rwq.jpg

The Should-Haves

Bully: Scholarship Edition

Dead Space: Extraction

Kirby's Return to Dream Land

Klonoa

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

No More Heroes 2

Punch-Out!!

Sonic Colors

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

should0aoei.jpg

The Nice-To-Haves

Disney's Epic Mickey

GoldenEye 007

The House of the Dead: Overkill

Kirby's Epic Yarn

MadWorld

Metroid: Other M

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Rhythm Heaven Fever

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

nicetoelrhh.jpg

WiiWare Essentials

Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth

Cave Story

Contra ReBirth

Mega Man 10

World of Goo

Virtual Console Essentials

Final Fantasy III

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

The Revenge of Shinobi

Super Mario World

Super Metroid

What do you think of the list? For me there is one startling omission, Monster Hunter 3. It should be listed in the must-haves. Mario Kart Wii is not a must-have. Also, Zelda: Skyward Sword, get the fuck out of that garden you minger! Least favourite Zelda ever! RE4 and Okami should be there. Madworld could easily be removed. Didn't like it very much, very repetitive.

Good God in heaven! I just spotted that Rhythm Heaven Fever is on the list of nice-to-haves list. I've made my feelings clear before about this rancid pile of puke, suffice to say it's the anti-christ of gaming. The list lost alot of credibilty with it's inclusion at the expense of other gems.

Edited by Wii

Megaman 10 over Megaman 9 is a fucking travesty.

As is the rest of this list (Little King's Story over NSMB Wii and SMG2!?, no Monster Hunter Tri or Trauma Center games!? Fuck this shit)

Hells yeah, it deserves to be there over NSMBWii.

I'd have Monster Hunter Tri over Mario Kart. ExciteTruck deserves to be there, too.

Mario Kart Wii is probably the least favourite kart racer that I've played. That spot should belong to Excite Truck.

I didn't even know that the normal Kirby game got released (must have had a quiet release in a busy time) - does it really deserve to be above the great Epic Yarn?

Still, lots of great games on there. Nice to see Dead Space Extraction, I actually prefer it over the main two games. I've yet to touch a fair few games from that list: DKCR, Togepi Vs Capcom, Xenoblade, Bully, Klona (never heard of that one), No More Heroes (I absolutely hated the first), Punch-Out, Galaxy 2, Mad World, Rhythm Heaven and Silent Hill.

No More Heroes (I absolutely hated the first)..

For me, the first No More Heroes would be in the Must-Have list :heh: I felt it was a much better experience than Desperate Struggle..

Excite Truck and Resident Evil 4 should definitely feature, as should Wii Sports :eek:

If you like football, PES 2011 or 2012 will be in with the Should-Haves and Muramasa: The Demon Blade could surely make it into one of those lists :hehe:

When you break it all down, though, the Wii has loads of AWESOME games :santa:

Galaxy 2 was crap..

You, sir, make me sick :nono:

Another nice reminder that the Wii DOES indeed have plenty of brilliant, creative, "Core" games, only a very small number of which are in fact motion-controlled (and those that are, like the Primes, incorporated brilliantly). You could also add in many more great titles like Excite Truck, Fragile Dreams, Opoona (yes, a canny little jrpg, filled with old-school charm in a unique world), Kororinpa, Another Code R, Lost Winds. The VC was full to the brim with stuff really; Ys Books 1+2, Landstalker, Shinobi 3 being among my favs.

I think a lot of the hoo-ha about the Wii was just an image thing and people being alienated by the idea of motion control. It has an incredibly strong and varied library!

I'd probably bump New super Mario bros on that list to Must-Haves. It gets a bad rap because of its plain art style but level design wise its just as perfect as any of Nintendo's other 2D Mario games. Wario Land Shake Dimension and Muramasa should probably be there somewhere.

Also glad Mario Kart Wii gets some love, it totally deserves to be where it is.

It has an incredibly strong and varied library!

Yeah it really does. :smile:

Edited by Helmsly

Mario Kart Wii is probably the least favourite kart racer that I've played. That spot should belong to Excite Truck.

I didn't even know that the normal Kirby game got released (must have had a quiet release in a busy time) - does it really deserve to be above the great Epic Yarn?

Still, lots of great games on there. Nice to see Dead Space Extraction, I actually prefer it over the main two games. I've yet to touch a fair few games from that list: DKCR, Togepi Vs Capcom, Xenoblade, Bully, Klona (never heard of that one), No More Heroes (I absolutely hated the first), Punch-Out, Galaxy 2, Mad World, Rhythm Heaven and Silent Hill.

Epic Yarn isn't *really* Kirby, and it still irks me. Nintendo should have continued with the IP that it was, and so yes, I think Return to Dreamland does deserve to be above it, just because it's actually Kirby.

Xenoblade deserves to be there without a doubt, and LKS too. I'll admit I don't think I've actually played like half of these games though.

That spot should belong to Excite Truck.

I definitely agree that Excite Truck should be there instead, as for Kirby's Return to Dreamland... that spot definitely should have gone to Kirby's Epic Yarn as quite simply it's one of the best platformers on the Wii and it's certainly the best retail Kirby title for it.

Sin and Punishment 2 should have been where NMH2 is as well.

No Monster Hunter Tri? Wtf... : o

Agreed.

No Monster Hunter = List of fail

I definitely agree that Excite Truck should be there instead, as for Kirby's Return to Dreamland... that spot definitely should have gone to Kirby's Epic Yarn as quite simply it's one of the best platformers on the Wii and it's certainly the best retail Kirby title for it.

I disagree.

I think Return to Dreamland was far more fun and actually felt like a Kirby game.

Agreed.

No Monster Hunter = List of fail

I disagree.

I think Return to Dreamland was far more fun and actually felt like a Kirby game.

It may have felt more like a Kirby game but Epic Yarn was definitely fresh and actually felt genuinely exciting to play I felt, something that more recent Kirby games have been lacking in Imo.

But all that matters really is that they are all fun to play. : peace:

As for Monster Hunter Tri... I never really got on with it, I'd like to play one of the earlier titles though or even the next entry just to see if it was that one game that felt 'off' as I have heard quite a few MH purists complaining that Tri wasn't as good... it's still a series I hope to get into. :)

As for Monster Hunter Tri... I never really got on with it, I'd like to play one of the earlier titles though or even the next entry just to see if it was that one game that felt 'off' as I have heard quite a few MH purists complaining that Tri wasn't as good... it's still a series I hope to get into. :)

I've played all of the MH games released in this country and even imported a couple on the PSP and I can honestly say there was nothing really wrong with Tri.

These so called purists were probably just trying to be all hardcore. The only difference with Tri is that they made it slightly more accessible. The learning curve was still a bit steep in but in the earlier games it was vertical.

The only thing lacking in Tri was the content. You just have to look at the amount of stuff that was packed into the PSP games and compare it with Tri to see that it was lack in that area.

But all that matters really is that they are all fun to play. : peace:

Indeed. Kirby games are great for bringing a smile to my face.

I would have put Galaxy 2 over Galaxy 1.

+1, I liked RtD better. Epic Yarn's graphical style was nice, but Dreamland captured the Kirby style better.

I've played all of the MH games released in this country and even imported a couple on the PSP and I can honestly say there was nothing really wrong with Tri.

These so called purists were probably just trying to be all hardcore. The only difference with Tri is that they made it slightly more accessible. The learning curve was still a bit steep in but in the earlier games it was vertical.

The only thing lacking in Tri was the content. You just have to look at the amount of stuff that was packed into the PSP games and compare it with Tri to see that it was lack in that area.

Indeed. Kirby games are great for bringing a smile to my face.

That's not really a fair comparison either. The only reason why Unite has as much content as it has is because it reuses most of its stuff from Monster Hunter 1G & 2G. Tri on the other hand started from scratch (though Tri G includes almost everything from Portable 3rd as well...)

Listing Sin & Punishment 2 only as a "nice to have" tells you all you need to know about this list (No really, they actually listed Dead Space Extraction over fucking Sin & Punishment 2 :mad: )

Fuck this list.

That's not really a fair comparison either. The only reason why Unite has as much content as it has is because it reuses most of its stuff from Monster Hunter 1G & 2G. Tri on the other hand started from scratch (though Tri G includes almost everything from Portable 3rd as well...)

Tri reused certain assets from the previous MH games as well, both the PS2 and the PSP games. Sure they had to build certain monsters and maps from scratch but it wasn't like the whole game had to be rebuilt. It's probably one of the reasons why Capcom chose to put it on the Wii.

They couldn't even be bothered to be put colour variations into Tri. They just reverted back to the style of the original game by making the + versions and then leaving it at that.

Listing Sin & Punishment 2 only as a "nice to have" tells you all you need to know about this list (No really, they actually listed Dead Space Extraction over fucking Sin & Punishment 2 :mad: )

Sin & Punishment 2 was an awful game. It was ugly as hell.

Come and get me N-E. :D

Edited by Hero-of-Time
Automerged Doublepost

Yep, Galaxy 2 was crap.

Pretty decent list. I'd swap a few around, but the games are there.

Resident Evil 4 and Okami aren't technically Wii games I suppose... I guess Twilight Princess counts because both versions came out together.

Then why is Bully on the list? The same can be said of Klonoa.

Edited by Wii