Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Disney

Claire

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll Make a Man Out of You is mediocre. Let's just all deal with it.

Other standouts that I still love from the Disney songbook - One Jump Ahead (along with most of Aladdin's songs), Beauty and the Beast (I often sing this around the house. Sometimes I pretend I'm Mrs. Potts. Sometimes I pretend I'm Beast. Sometimes I'm Belle.), CIRCLE OF LIFE (all of Lion King obviously. But I make noises that vaguely resemble the opeing chants fairly well), all of Pocahontas, Tarzan etc.

I had the Disney Sing-a-long videos which covered all their films, including the overlooked live-action ones. A favourite:

I used to refer to Mary Poppins only as The Snap Lady, apparently.

---

I love the final scene/battle in Aladdin, but in general the entire design and aesthetic of the film is gorgeous, and incredibly tactile. I want to touch everything. The buildings are grand. The costumes are all fantastic too. I want to feel the sand on my face. All the jewels in the cave. I loved Jasmine in the hourglass. I want to stroke Cobra Jafar, he's so shiny. I want to lie on the magic carpet. [/weird raving]

Edited by Paj!

(all of Lion King obviously. But I make noises that vaguely resemble the opeing chants fairly well)

If we do ever meet. This will be my greeting.

I used to enact the opening with my housemate's cat as Simba. Good/psychotic times.

Mary Poppins was my favourite film as a kid. A weekly watch. I think I should get back into that habit.

Watched it on the plane recently. It's one of those things that for me is really strongly resonant with childhood memories. Each scene in that film makes me giddy. I remember back when it was embarrassing to admit I liked Mary Poppins :heh:

Edited by The Bard

Not a massive fan of the Disney movies (bar Pixar ones. And Tangled, I liked that). I'm interested to watch Hunchback of Notredamn/Damm/Dam now though as it sounds good-sauce.

Is it....on....DVD/Blu-Rayz?

Not a massive fan of the Disney movies (bar Pixar ones. And Tangled, I liked that). I'm interested to watch Hunchback of Notredamn/Damm/Dam now though as it sounds good-sauce.

So many awesome films, I was about to post here that Lion King is my favourite film, then I remembered the many many times I watched Rescuers Down under or Basil the great mouse detective.

Oh christ and then there is Robin Hood, or Sword in the stone.

It's so difficult to pick one, there is simply to much Disney Love.

I love Disney, I think like quite a few people I did nothing but watch them as a kid.

My favourite:

tumblr_lkt94cg2CH1qzxhxvo1_500.gif

I don't know how many times I watched this, but even now it's still imprinted on my memory.

Lion King!

tumblr_lpdr40FrTh1qmbgwso1_500.jpg

and then well if we're classing Pixar/Disney:

tumblr_low163ifiQ1qbkyo1o1_500.gif

:D

I'm also a big Disney fan, especially the period from The Little Mermaid to Pocahontas, and I have the soundtracks to all these films on my iPhone (and enjoy singing along in the car!) I don't really like the films from The Hunchback of Notre Dame onwards, though. In fact, I watched Hunchback again for the first time in about ten years last week, and I found it really dull..

CIRCLE OF LIFE (all of Lion King obviously. But I make noises that vaguely resemble the opeing chants fairly well)

I do this with the cat. Thrust him into the air and shout random noises vaguely resembling the opening song.

I'm sorry. I was thinking about cats again.

The animated stuff is great, but I seriously can not stand most of the early live-action stuff. Yes that does mean I detest Mary Poppins. The Mighty Ducks movies are the exception to the rule.

Favourite film would be Lion King, then it's probably Aladdin.

I do this with the cat. Thrust him into the air and shout random noises vaguely resembling the opening song.

I've always been concerned that at the beginning you have Zebra/Antelope bowing down to him, knowing full well he's probably going to eat them/their children.

Not on Blu-Ray yet but certainly on DVD.

It's probably the darkest of the 'modern' Disney films. The character of Judge Claude Frollo (the villain) is one of the scariest and complex there is... Jafar and Scar and Malificent are all kinda scary as a kid, but Frollo is genuinely frightening as an adult because he is so very, very real. He doesn't think he's evil, because he's got religion to back up his awful views. And yet he has this forbidden lust which he can't control. It's great! Plus the music is really among the best ever done for a cartoon (or musical in general).

But I'm not so much a fan of the comedy gargoyles. I know they're a necessity or it wouldn't be a Disney film but still... I'd cut them out of a stage version.

I :heart: the old school Disney movies and shorts. Had videos of the shorts from the 40s etc., dubbed in Chinese :D Watched most of the animated movies up to the 90s when I was small: Fantasia, The Lion King, Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid shorts...my favourite movie of all-time is A Goofy Movie. Funny every time!

Went to Disney World in Florida when I was a little Eddie, so I don't really remember much. Other than the blistering heat and long-ass queues. WOULD GO AGAIN FOR SURE. N-E Disneyland/World meet!! I've been to the one in Hong Kong as well, very small but still enjoyable, great for a day out, and relatively new so quite clean.

Haven't visited the new Disney store in Dublin yet, but buying Disney stuff outside of Disneyland is so...weird.

After going through this thread it's become apparent.

I need more disney in my life.

been checking Amazon and such, and will be ordering some DVD's pronto. I loved the films back in the day, but gave all my VHS' Disney films to my niece.

Disney classics are excellent.

I've been told that I once memorized the entirety of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (Brazillian version). Must be true, I just read an opinion by someone watching the movie for the first time and I can picture everything as clear as day, down to the squirrels sending dust under the carpet, and cleaning Spider webs with their tails.

Kinda boggles me, "Heigh-Ho" just sounds like a really sloppy translation for "Eu vou".

Speaking of Brazil, I remember Three Caballeros from visiting Venezuela, but only watched it properly, beginning to end, fairly recently:

Latin American representation at its best. I love how many references to Brazillian culture they managed to sneak in. Add the catchy music and traditional cartoon physics, you get a true classic.

I understand why the movie isn't that popular with European audiences, though.

Also, Lion King is my favourite animated movie of all time. Just brilliant.

This scene is forever engraved in my mind.

Honourable mentions go to Aladdin:

(Possibly the catchiest Disney song around)

...and Tarzan:

Finally, I feel I should mention that Pixar is also a brilliant animation company, with Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., Wall-E and Toy Story 3 being my favourites.

Mainly thanks to Portuguese dubs. I don't buy that the original is always better.

Where's the Peter Pan love everybody? Always has been my favourite, even if others may technically be better. I've just never wanted to grow up.

Absolutely love Disney, been to the Florida parks 3 times and Paris 7 times. Desperate to go again, haven't been for 3 years.

90s Disney was amazing, miss those times.

The Lion King/Beauty and the Best/The Little Mermaid were outstanding. And pretty much everything they produced in that decade.

Oh by the way, major shit is going down with The Lion King. If you've noticed, there are no Lion King dvds or Blurays to be found in the shops, that's cos Disney have withdrawn it from sale. They are working on a huge Lion King project for its re-release. It's going to be re-released in cinemas! The bad news... in 3D. Blah.

Latin American representation at its best. I love how many references to Brazillian culture they managed to sneak in. Add the catchy music and traditional cartoon physics, you get a true classic.

I understand why the movie isn't that popular with European audiences, though.

Have you read Don Rosa's unofficial sequels?

The Three Caballeros Ride Again

The Magnificent Seven (Minus 4) Caballeros

I haven't watched the movie so I don't know how the comics stack up, but Don Rosa is always worth reading. :smile:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!