N-Europe

The Apple Thread

Nintendohnut

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note to say that I got my iPad mini delivered today. It's great.

I couldn't decide whether to pick one up or not what with the non retina, but so pleased I did. The device is the perfect size for me.

As I have a MacBook Air, (11") the screen in the normal sized iPads wasn't much different size wise and so it was always easier for me to just pick my air up to browse the net etc.

However the mini is the perfect size to browse, listen too/ watch all my media and just use quickly for short bursts. Having said that I've been using the mini all day!

Although the screen isn't retina it is still very good indeed. It'd be nice to have retina of course, but for now this is more than adequate for my needs.

I went for the black 32gb wifi. I usually go for the top end 3G but I've been putting more and more stuff in the cloud lately so going to see how I get along with it. Seems great so far, probably going to sell on my iPad 3 now.

• 3 weeks later...

So I took the plunge. I really wanted a mini but they were sold out everywhere and have been for a couple weeks now. I would have waited but then PC World were doing the iPad with Retina for £359, which is obviously only £90 more than a mini and you get a whole load more bang for your buck. Also the lack of Retina on the mini did bug me because the next one is bound to be Retina-d up.

Anyway, I'm new to iPad (got an iPhone) so anyone want to recommend me some essential iPad apps? I downloaded Paper, which I like. Anything else?

So I took the plunge. I really wanted a mini but they were sold out everywhere and have been for a couple weeks now. I would have waited but then PC World were doing the iPad with Retina for £359, which is obviously only £90 more than a mini and you get a whole load more bang for your buck. Also the lack of Retina on the mini did bug me because the next one is bound to be Retina-d up.

Anyway, I'm new to iPad (got an iPhone) so anyone want to recommend me some essential iPad apps? I downloaded Paper, which I like. Anything else?

The only app I genuinely like (i.e. use) is Flipboard (although it is also on iPhone but better on the big screen).

Plus Simpsons Tapped Out. Don't really use anything else.

Does anyone know of some good places where I can find sturdy laptop cases/sleeves? I looked around on Amazon/Apple store etc., but couldn't find much that seems what I'm after. I need something decent as I need to travel with my Macbook Pro and I don't want it to get all scratched up or anything!

I want a sleeve that isn't just a thin layer of fabric, I want it to either be padded (stuff like foam or whatever) or a harder sleeve (I have one from Crumpler for my old laptop but they don't seem to have one for 15"), plus preferably something with a zipper protection (so the zippers won't scratch the laptop).

Anyone know where to look? Either online or in real stores. =)

Tweetbot is brilliant for twitter, TV guide is also much better on the bigger screen.

In terms of games, Real Racing 2 is awesome, as is Fieldrunners 2 and Reckless Racing 2. GarageBand is fun, too. There are lots more, but I can't think of them. I'll ask around at work and see what other people use. The benefit of working next to Apps Magazine is that they should be pretty helpful in this situation :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thought I'd thread bump what with their being some new Apple announcements. That and the fact this thread hasn't been posted in since 2012! :o

iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus:

tech-apple-iphone-6-1.jpg

Like what they've done here. A bigger screen was definitely needed.

Hate that they've kept the same boring colours. Plus the gold is just horrid. To me anyway! :heh:

And an Apple Watch...

tech-apple-iphone-6-333.jpg

Not really a fan of this at all. But wearable tech isn't really my thing tbh. Saying that, I do own a Nike Fuel Band which I am a big fan of, but it's not massively noticeable and doesn't stand out.

I guess I just don't see the point in the watch. I think Apple are more looking to make this an exercise / payment device more than a watch, but I can't see it being a must have for many people.

Still, liking the new iPhone. I'm due my upgrade so am toying with whether to go for one, but having moved away from iPhone I'm not sure I wanna go back now. Do like the form factor more than the previous models though. :: peace:

I'm not keen on the iphone 6's size, i was expecting a same size/marginly larger size to the 5s and then a larger one, yet both of those are large...Galaxy s3 large and i grew to think that it was too large when i had one

and the rear is just horrid, the way those lines/bar's cut thorough the back panels...its the worst on the black with the garish white showing through! my gold 5S looks good, 6 dare i say it looks cheaper, perhaps in person it will look better

the Apple watch....not sure about it at all, its cool and all but at £220 its just out of the realms of me purchasing one

the Apple watch....not sure about it at all, its cool and all but at £220 its just out of the realms of me purchasing one

I don't think I UK price has been confirmed yet. Converting from USD is £220, but adding VAT makes it £260.

and the rear is just horrid, the way those lines/bar's cut thorough the back panels...its the worst on the black with the garish white showing through!

The lines on the back of the black model are dark grey, maybe you're looking at some old images? That said, the lines are definitely a let down on the whole design, so pointless and out of place, when the phone's design was leaked I was convinced that couldn't be final because it looked so tacked on.

I'm not keen on the iphone 6's size, i was expecting a same size/marginly larger size to the 5s and then a larger one, yet both of those are large...Galaxy s3 large and i grew to think that it was too large when i had one

and the rear is just horrid, the way those lines/bar's cut thorough the back panels...its the worst on the black with the garish white showing through! my gold 5S looks good, 6 dare i say it looks cheaper, perhaps in person it will look better

I hear you. Although I really like the bump in size for both models. The 6 in particular is a nice size and with the curved edges and thinner body I think it will feel a hell of a lot nicer in the hand than a 5S does.

I personally found the 5/5S to be Apples worst designed iPhone. The C on the other hand is great. Lovely in the hand, plastic but nothing cheap feeling about it what so ever. I think these new models take the best of both and will be much nicer in hand than in photos.

Watched a couple of videos from the tecchy websites out there that are at the event, really liking the early glimpses. The black one looks great.

Agree that the back of the phone is ugly though. And I don't get this space grey thing either. The black phone needs to be all black. Not black on the front and then ruined with a grey back! All black please! Maybe the 6S next year will introduce that! :heh:

Some of the reviews of the watch are bit uncomplimentary, IGN's in particular draws attention to the UI on the watch being unuser friendly, and the little analogue stick being a bit alien.....if that cost is that high i might wait for an updated version before i even consider it....

really wish they'd gone for a round face option and a square face option, even if it was just a square face in a round casing

Round face would be a nightmare for the UI and a square face in round casing just seems pointless.

Did the iPhone 6 really need a bigger screen? I don't get it, bigger isn't always better, the size of the iPhone 5 screen is perfect IMO, and the increase certainly wasn't "needed".

This just shows how far Apple have fallen since the death of Steve Jobs. The specs of the iPhone 6 are a joke for a flag ship phone. I honestly can't believe they haven't stepped up their game considering the specs of the other flagship phones.

They have even fallen behind on their screens. At one time Retina Display was a big thing, now they have a screen with a lower pixel density than all their competitors flag ship models and a camera that hasn't changed for years.

I think it's odd, especially considering the price of these devices that Apple aren't trying to push the boundaries of the technology.

This just shows how far Apple have fallen since the death of Steve Jobs. The specs of the iPhone 6 are a joke for a flag ship phone. I honestly can't believe they haven't stepped up their game considering the specs of the other flagship phones.

They have even fallen behind on their screens. At one time Retina Display was a big thing, now they have a screen with a lower pixel density than all their competitors flag ship models and a camera that hasn't changed for years.

I think it's odd, especially considering the price of these devices that Apple aren't trying to push the boundaries of the technology.

I agree with that.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 4S, if I wasn't in need of something with more memory I definitely wouldn't be considering a 6 or 6 Plus. I'll probably end up with one though.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!