NEurope
Nintendohnut

The Apple Thread

So it's been a while since there was an Apple thread, and I think we're now at a point in the forum where most people are mature enough not to come into the thread just to start an argument.

Seeing as WWDC (Worldwide Developers Conference) is happening tomorrow, and Apple will be announcing some big things with Mac OS X, iOS 5 and iCloud, this is as good a time as any to start a new Apple thread!

wwdc-2011-2011-03-28.jpg

First of all, are people expect any surprises? Do you think Steve Jobs will

ONLY announce those three things, or do you see this as being the place where a new iPhone is announced? If so, will it be a small update ('iPhone 4S') or a bigger one ('iPhone 5')?

In term of iOS 5, will there be any big surprises? They REALLY need to update notifications, and there have been a lot of rumors about more voice integration.

And Lion seems to be pretty much finished, with rumors that it was coming out in a couple of weeks hitting the web today. Will anyone be upgrading? It looks like its going to be pretty cheap.

Finally, what will iCloud mean for Cloud computing? Yes, it's already been done by some companies, but if there is one thing Apple is good at it's taking an idea, improving it and making it incredibly popular (e.g. Smartphones and Tablets). Will what they do change the way people think about Cloud Computing?

So yeah, thoughts and reactions, and no needless argument starting please :) I love a good discussion but if someone starts going on about 'why would you get a Mac when you could get a PC of the same spec for half the price' etc etc then I will direct you to any one of the millions of other websites on which that has already been argued.

I don't think a new iPhone will be announced, I think it will come out with iOS 5 around September. I agree with most of what you said, I'll post more thoughts when I'm on my computer.

I'm pretty excited to see what they do with iOS 5.

I may be getting too excited but I thought there was a chance of maybe having a major upgrade to the look and feel of it.

Although I'm mostly looking forward to seeing if Axiotron finally give an update to their Modbook Pro: http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbookpro

Quite looking forward to seeing what they do with OS X Lion. Not expecting much but it would be nice to have a few surprises.

Isn't twitter supposed to be a big thing with ios5? being implemented as part of everything?

I hope icloud is th Enewetak mobile me and not just a music streaming service. MobileMe has the potential to be great but is buggy to fuck and doesn't work properly, a sort of better version if mobile me, with a music video streaming service and a better iDisk, more akin to dropbox would be great.

iOS 5 looks brilliant! I mean sure, it's mostly just playing catch up with Android, but it's nice to see all these features finally officially on the device :D Lock screen notifications, drag down notification area, small push notifications that don't interfere with games etc, a better camera, free iPhone-iPad-iPod messaging app. Looking forward to this update :)

Wi-Fi sync is something I've wanted, but if you still have to plug it in, it won't do me many favours since I only ever plug it in near my pc :heh:

Yeah there are two things I'll miss from iOS 5 - a better mutli-tasking menu (an Expose style view) and a section where you can quickly switch things like Bluetooth and Wifi on and off. Other than that it all looks awesome.

Lion was pretty standard, nothing unexpected really. Seen it all before, which is why I found it strange that they went over everything again, but never mind.

As for iCloud, I don't know whether I love it or it's disappointing. The live updates to all devices is excellent, and I'm really looking forward to syncing my photos over without needing to import them, but I feel they're still missing a trick with the music thing. Should've been more like Spotify in my opinion. That said I'll have to have a play with it before deciding I think.

Is icloud replacing mobileme and is it now free?

Is there a simple, comprehensive look at everything they announced?

Also, surprised no new iphone? What's going on with that?

Yeah, no new iPhone wasn't too surprising considering how much they talked about focusing on software. Probably won't be a new one out for around 6 months or so now, but that was kinda expected after they released the Verizon model a few months back and the white iPhone 4 a week or two ago.

MobileMe is dead now, will be replaced by iCloud which is basically a better version of MobileMe for free :)

As for a summary, the best way is to go to the Engadget live blog and read through it I reckon. That or search the major tech/apple sites for a simple run-down.

iOS 5 looks very good. Autumn launch though, boooooo. That's a very long time to wait.

Not 100% sure about the whole iMessage thing. So does it replace text messages between iPhones? How will it know if the number I'm texting has an iPhone, and will my SMS conversations be on my iPad as well? And if they are, I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to text a non iOS device from my iPad?

Lion is a bit meh, but wonderful price and some nice little enhancements. Good to see them doing download only, saves on packaging, CDs etc...

iCloud looks cool, although it must take up a lot of data and bandwidth to constantly be synching all this stuff over the air.

iCloud looks cool, although it must take up a lot of data and bandwidth to constantly be synching all this stuff over the air.

The general usage doesn't use up too much. Photos and music can use up a fair amount if you have a lot so I would guess that there will be sync via WiFi only options for those.

Not 100% sure about the whole iMessage thing. So does it replace text messages between iPhones? How will it know if the number I'm texting has an iPhone, and will my SMS conversations be on my iPad as well? And if they are, I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to text a non iOS device from my iPad?

You'll associate your phone number or apple account with iMessage, and anyone else in your contacts who has done the same will be available to message through this system. There are already a huge number of apps which do this, such as Ping and WhatsApp.

I really don't understand imessage. i don't get what it does that's any different from texting. Is it basically whatsapp?

I'm officially a developer so I can use it now I think? I'll look into it. Hope so :)

I really don't understand imessage. i don't get what it does that's any different from texting. Is it basically whatsapp?

I'm officially a developer so I can use it now I think? I'll look into it. Hope so :)

Well it's essentially the same but it's a way of sending free messages, as opposed to using up your monthly quota.

It's Apple's take on BBM.

People still have monthly quotas on texts?

Yes. Although for contracts required for smartphones, it's usually in the range of 3000-5000 per month.

Yes. Although for contracts required for smartphones, it's usually in the range of 3000-5000 per month.

In the last year or so networks have realised that they're better off charging people more for data than they are for texts which is why there are an increasing amount of unlimited text plans with limited data, as opposed to what it used to be. Case in point; the iPhone. All the plans on O2 now have unlimited texts.

Have ios5 installed. Some great features (little slow and buggy as to be expected though), this is going to be amazing once it's released!

I have iOS 5 on the iPad and iPhone for work now. Not really allowed to talk about it (NDA and all that jazz) but it's pretty good.

Regarding iMessage:

It's actually surprisingly clever. On the iPhone you still only have a single Messages app, and both are accessed through there. You will still have text messages, but if you write a new message to one of your friends who also has an iPhone using iOS 5, iMessage will detect this and automatically send it this way if possible (i.e. if you have 3G or WiFi coverage) saving you the cost of a text.

In terms of where it appears, yes it does appear on both the iPad and the iPhone when you receive a message, if you have set up both devices with the same email address etc (and you probably will have, which will also automatically sync your contacts over through iCloud). What this means is that if you're having a conversation with a friend on your iPhone, you can pick up the iPad and keep going where you left off.

As for iCloud, I'm pretty impressed at the moment, despite it not being officially turned on yet. Transferring things like contacts is incredibly simple and fast, and the PhotoStream is actually awesome - I can take my iPhone out for the day, take a few photos and when I get home they'll already be on my iPad.

It's still a little buggy in places, but nowhere near as bad as Lion was in its first build a few months ago.

Oh, and in terms of music and apps automatically downloading to other devices when you buy them on one - you can turn this feature off very easily, and then just get them from the new 'Purchased' tab in iTunes or the App Store next time you're on WiFi and want the new stuff.

We still have very little in terms on texts in Ireland. I only get like 150.

So, Lion's out now and I've upgraded but I seem to get a strange error in it.

If I open iCal from the Dock, closes it (cmnd+w) and then choose Safari from the Dock, iCal closes totally (like cmnd+q). Anyone else get this?

I heard rumours that word doesn't work with it? Hope they don;t fuck it up as disastrously as they have with Final Cut!

I heard rumours that word doesn't work with it? Hope they don;t fuck it up as disastrously as they have with Final Cut!

Microsoft Word 2011 works perfectly fine for me if that's what you mean?