N-Europe

Super Mario 3D Land

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorrey bad news Update: Turns out it’s fake, which is a shame. But well done to the fellow who sent it in because it was pretty darn believable. The screenshot was faked by taking a screenshot from the game Atmosphir.

Kind of have to agree with dr4hkon, it doesn't look as fast as the Mario Galaxies and NSMB(W). As I'm not a Mario expert, I won't judge the game by it.

There are some details, which strike me as very specific design for showing of the 3D. Looking at the trailer:

0:18 Cardboard cutout enemies; they're identifiable as such, but depending on the angle you're looking at them, they might not be immediately identifiable without 3d on.

0:59 Camera zooms out and reveals: the blocks Mario just traversed are constructed like a mushroom; As they are on different planes, you'll be able to identify which ones are closer or farther away with 3D on.

1:06 Fixed sidescroller camera, but Mario can move along the z-axis, too. He doesn't collide with the boxes, but swims next to them. That's a logical implication from the design, but it's not immediately recognizable before he actually passes the boxes. With 3D on, one would've seen at once, where Mario was in relation to the blocks.

Nice details imo. Don't break the game, if you've deactivated 3D or can't see it, but should make for some nice moments with 3D on.

Edited by Burny

Yeah if I'm honest I was underwhelmed. It looked really slow compared to Galaxy, and had a similar gameplay feel to New Super Mario Bros. Also it seemed quite linear in terms of level design. Still definately one to watch, but not a definate buy at this stage.

Not sure why some think it looks slow, I think it looks fantastic. Love the up close camera angle.

Yeah, I'm with you there. Seemed good to me. Although, it's been a while since I've played Galaxy, so maybe it is slower. Doesn't look awfully slow.

The best part about watching that trailer is knowing that it's going to look even better in 3D on the actual handheld. I can't wait to hold the 3DS in my hands and see this game. This and Luigi's Mansion...beautiful.

It looks slow because Mario barely makes any progress as he runs, @22secs is rediculous!

Also it's got really floaty looking jumps etc... like NSMB.

I wonder if you have to hold down a button to run?... because @28secs Mario seems to [for no apparent reason] speed up slightly.

The one in this is a leaf.

But it changes Mario into Tanooki Mario, which is even more confusing.

How often did the Tanooki suit appear in Mario 3, half a dozen times maybe? The leaf (giving him ears and a tail) was pretty much in every level. I'm just surprised by the popularity of the Tanooki suit that's all.

It's a shame I was expecting a new Mario game in the form of Mario 64 or Galaxy. Now I'm a bit disappointed.

I couldn't enjoy the New Super Mario Bros. games, so I doubt it'll be different with Super Mario 3DS.

Hopefully a demo will change my mind.