N-Europe

Water in Games

darksnowman

I've just been playing Waverace 64 for the umpteenth time. Such a quality game. Whilst playing I was it got me wondering: have the water effects in it been surpassed? Graphically, yes of course, but how the water feels and the way your jetski (Kawasaki on the N64, unbranded on the VC) reacts to it... I'm not so sure.

Mario Galaxy is a great looking title, but Sunshine arguably surpasses it as far as water goes. Though thats maybe forgivable as Sunshine was built around water.

super-mario-galaxy-20070711110621162_640w.jpg

Let's Tap also has some nice ripple effects.

lets-tap-20090204024217715.jpg

Whats your view on water in games and what games have the best and worst water effects?

For me there is no game with better water than Super Mario Sunshine. The waves looked and moved phenomenally, and I have yet to see nicer looking water. I spent hours using the boost attachment to jetski around on the water surface.

As for underwater beauty, I would have to pick Endless Ocean, which I suppose is a bit of an obvious choice, but it really has great lighting effects.

The moment I read the title, Mario Sunshine sprung to mind. Also Wave Race Blue Storm. And ExciteTruck has a few nice shallow water segments.

I have vague memories of Starfox Adventures, but that one had a few sweet-looking effects, didn't it?

I also remember this gorgeous-looking surfing game for the Gamecube. I saw a demonstration for it a loooooong time ago, but never found the game's name. I would love to see if it's as good as my memory tells me it is.

Mario Sunshine was brilliant. The whole look of that game is gorgeous. Truely "Sunshine." The water in that is probably right up there with anything I've ever seen. It still managed to maintain the whole Mario look though, so it looked great without seeming out of place.

Wave Race 64 (particularly Drake Lake) and Blue Storm were both beautiful as well. In fact, I want a Wave Race game for the Wii. I would do anything for that.

I remember ExciteTruck having pretty good water effects. I might play that later just to make sure my memory isn't playing tricks.

Since this is in Wii discussion, I'll mention that the Pirate Storm level in Sonic and the Secret Rings done violent, stormy water pretty well. I havent played it but I'm hoping the water level in Sonic Colours had good water too?

To be honest water has different pluses and minuses in different games. Some games get the reflections spot on, others have better wave physics, etc. As far as Nintendo games go, Sunshine still probably has the best balance of everything I think, but seeing as it's entirely about water, you'd like to hope it got something right.

I've just been playing Waverace 64 for the umpteenth time. Such a quality game. Whilst playing I was it got me wondering: have the water effects in it been surpassed?

Although Wave Race 64 is a great game, Blue Storm surpassed it in the water effects and the overall gameplay and is a much better game :grin:

They're both great, though..

The water in Super Mario Sunshine was certainly fantastic, too.. and I seem to recall Starfox Adventures being very nice in that department :hehe:

What was it about the water in Blue Storm that meant it didn't surpass that of the original?

I've not played it in a while, but I played it alot during the GC days so I'm working off those memories. From what I remember, Blue Storm felt lighter. Of course it has its choppier stages and everything (which look great), but I remember things being kind of weightless when compared to 64.

I'm not saying Blue Storm is a bad game by any means. I'm splitting hairs here.

Mind you, I forgot about the churning water in Super Mario Galaxy, where you ride on the manta ray. I was very, very impressed with that too.

Drip Drop Galaxy is absolutely gorgeous.

Hydrophobia has some great water physics, but it looks pretty poor. On the other hand BioShock has wonderfully realistic water effects.

I was tempted to say Donkey Kong Country as, for a 16-Bit game they all looked and sounded amazing when underwater.

Waverace still trumps most games for the 'feel' of control on the waves. I was playing it the other night and from the swells of the normal courses to the sedate Drake.....Lake, it just feels incredible.

Blue storm (although great) just didn't feel as good as the original and it seemed to rip along too smoothly whereas the 64 version made you feel like you could come a cropper at any point. Still a great game, just ... the original was (and still is) astounding.

Super Mario Sunshine's swelling waves were great although I still feel the swimming mechanic was poor compared to Mario64's.

Other great effects are seen in Endless Ocean 1&2 (as mentioned) and I loved the water in Ocarina of Time (fishing and wading underwater with metal boots on just felt magical).

If we're just going on looks (and cross-platform), it's gotta be Crysis. Uncharted/2 and Bioshock are also great. Red Dead Redemption looks perdy in the sun: image_red_dead_redemption-11738-1780_0002.jpg

L4D2's water looks nice as mentioned above, but the somewhat dated source engine doesn't deal with it in a particularly exciting way, certainly not as good as the likes of Sunshine and Galaxy. When HL2 game out though, it really was amazing stuff.

It will be interesting to see how GoW3 and the Unreal Engine work with water, which is supposedly going to be a big thing.

I liked the boat on the lake in Resi 4. Oh and... raise your hand if you loved the water temple as Zora Link in MM.

Just me?

You cant beat Wave race 64 for the wave physics, really ground breaking stuff at the time and i dont think its been beaten,Bluestorm was again good.

The jetski mode in Resort was good fun, but come on nintendo make a new Wave Race game its been far too long, the 3 major lacking games on the wii are Wave Race,F zero and Starfox :(

I liked the boat on the lake in Resi 4. Oh and... raise your hand if you loved the water temple as Zora Link in MM.

Just me?

*Raises hand* I agree with both things. The water in MM is nothing special, graphically, but the swimming controls for Zora Link are something else. Amazing stuff, really feels like you're wading through water.

Speaking of water in Zelda games, I loved the ponds in Ocarina of Time. It's probably not what you think when in this topic, but those sound effects offer something great, I believe.

Ditto for dripping in caves, for the games that do it well.