N-Europe

Top Gear

Dog-amoto

First of all, I don't get the appeal of Top Gear, at all. It's so unfunny. I really can't understand its popularity.

Secondly, if anyone is on a final warning in their job, and has some sort of fight/fracas/whatever with a senior member of staff, they'd be sacked. Same should apply here. Otherwise it sets a precedent if other incidents occur - "Why am I getting sacked when Clarkson got away with it despite being on a final warning?"

Thirdly, the BBC isn't a commercial company. Yes, I know BBC Worldwide is a commercial arm, but the priority is the UK licence fee payer. The profits that Top Gear makes should be an afterthought - the BBC shouldn't be seen as condoning violence, even if it was a petty incident. They've allowed Clarkson to get away with enough as it is. If the BBC has any integrity, he'll be gone.

Clarkson is an arrogant, stuck-up idiot who deserves whatever punishment comes his way.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Secondly, if anyone is on a final warning in their job, and has some sort of fight/fracas/whatever with a senior member of staff, they'd be sacked. Same should apply here. Otherwise it sets a precedent if other incidents occur - "Why am I getting sacked when Clarkson got away with it despite being on a final warning?"

Pretty much this.

Providing that this whole thing isn't just a publicity stunt or staged or whatever, this is a bit outrageous. I know we're used to that with Clarkson, but the fact that there are something like 30,000 people out there who have signed a petition to get him reinstated is ridiculous. He's fucked up, so he should be punished.

I understand that he's worth a lot to the BBC, but the BBC also have an image that they need to uphold and letting things like this slide sends out a bad message to others.

Can't say I'm a Top Gear fan but I am finding this story increasingly interesting. Firstly - why cancel coming episodes? Aren't they already filmed, or Sunday's one at least? It's a punishment to 'the public' for something behind the scenes, and that makes little to no sense to me, especially as it's BBC. A sacking/disciplinary is understandable, but not cancelling the shows if they're there already - or moving on without him.

Second(and related) - Top Gear is a MASSIVE franchise, despite my own indifference to it. Would you really sacrifice that, for a presenter's actions? Why not air whatever you've got and then deal with the spillover later?

Third - how/why did this even come to light? Why have so many people related then commented on it? Stuff like this can easily be kept behind the scenes and never come to light, so why has it? Consider how big a property Clarkson is(and, as the media has no doubt constantly regaled in the last 24 hours, not shy to controversy) - why make such a big deal out of this?

But I dunno. Maybe I'm just overthinking something that's really rather trivial.

Honestly though I'm actually surprised at the support and following he appears to have - whilst a sacking/disciplinary is completely acceptable and understandable to me(as I'd expect of anyone doing the same in any job really) - I don't get how people are defending and asking for him to be re-instated. Ask for the show etc, but is he or it really so important that it's ok to accept him being violent?

I believe they film the studio stuff on a Tuesday/Wednesday, but the stuff that doesn't involve the studio is done weeks, if not months ago. Cancelling the rest of Top Gear is a punishment for the viewers, no idea why they did it.

Maybe it's the complete flipside and a way for him to walk and save face, rather than straight up walking out on it all and essentially being responsible for then pissing off a lot of people. Bit out there, but it seems to have gotten quite a bit of focus for something that seems fairly simple to me.

Comparing a scenario of a normal job situation, with one in showbiz, is a bit ridiculous. Things don't work the same way, so saying "if he did x in any other job then y" is a little bit stupid.

Firstly - why cancel coming episodes? Aren't they already filmed, or Sunday's one at least?

I think most of it would be filmed (the reviews, features and segments etc.) but I think they film the studio bit only a few days before the episode airs.

I'm not certain on that though.

Comparing a scenario of a normal job situation, with one in showbiz, is a bit ridiculous. Things don't work the same way, so saying "if he did x in any other job then y" is a little bit stupid.

A fair point - we should probably give him the keys to Broadmoor or something.

Pretty much this.

Providing that this whole thing isn't just a publicity stunt or staged or whatever, this is a bit outrageous. I know we're used to that with Clarkson, but the fact that there are something like 30,000 people out there who have signed a petition to get him reinstated is ridiculous. He's fucked up, so he should be punished.

I understand that he's worth a lot to the BBC, but the BBC also have an image that they need to uphold and letting things like this slide sends out a bad message to others.

I think you meant 300,000 and the petition is now approaching 700,000.

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

I agree that the situations are not the same, you can't compare his job to a normal job when it's not a normal job. Even if someone has broken the law, it's dependent on the company whether they'd continue to employing someone (many wouldn't due to company image etc). But if continuing to employ someone might be incredibly beneficial to the profit of the company then they can choose to keep him on.

A fair point - we should probably give him the keys to Broadmoor or something.

Yeah, I mean we are talking about the BBC, a company that covered up and protected a number of high profile paedophiles.

Funny that the BBC should make such a big fuss about such a minor indiscretion.

Reading more about it it sounds like Danny Cohen is making this a big deal to prove his point of nobody/no one show bieng bigger than the BBC

If the leaked nursery Rhyme footage (scipted, cut from episode in editing, some how leaked to press months later) wasn't enough, it seems;

They were late back to the Hotel 10pm

Kitchen staff had gone home

Hotel only offered, soup, bar snacks or cold meats

Clarkson (amongst others) wanted Steak and/or hot cooked food

Row ensued, Oisin whats his face got the blame for not ensuring they were back and/or Chef still there

it escalated resulting in some pushing and shoving and some connection but not a punch

Main Producers calm the situation, one cooks for Clarkson

next day apologies all round

Then heres the stinger....none of the production crew apparently reported the incident, neither did the hotel, it seems Management aka Cohen found out and thus - press release, stopping of production, pulling of shows

This all opens them up to multiple law suits regarding the syndication to other networks, plus any fall out for the sold out tour.....and all seems to be part of Danny Cohens very open agenda to oust Clarkson - he has publicly insulted him and complained about him

Seems an exceptionally costly way to prove a point and keep to an agenda

it all seems to be about someone's agenda and how Clarkson doesn't fit with the current left aligned BBC

And Lord Tony Hall says there's no timescale on the investigation...and their contracts run out this month, its like they are just forcing a status quo so nobody renews contracts so nobody gets sacked

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Also, I'm not sure why anyone would downplay the petition to have Jeremy Clarkson reinstated. If a million or more people sign it, that is a powerful message.

What's more, the BBC is a publicly funded (by the frankly scandalous TV license) - hence the public should have a say and their voice is more valid than if this happened at a privately run firm where owners and shareholders are the stakeholders in the business.

I love me some Top Gear but Jezza's been pushing his luck (and the boundaries of taste) for years now. Racial and nationalistic stereotyping should be a no-no, threat of assault is definitely a no-no. If I was in charge I would have fired him already and begun tendering ideas for a start-over. I'm thinking something in a Ghostbusters-esque female lineup.

• 2 weeks later...
Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson's contract will not be renewed, the BBC has announced.

Director-general Tony Hall said the decision had been taken with "great regret".

He said: "It is not a decision I have taken lightly."

Clarkson was suspended from the motor show after his involvement in what the BBC called a "fracas" with producer Oisin Tymon.

Mr Hall said he had met and spoken to both men and was publishing the findings of the BBC's internal investigation, though he added that he took "no pleasure" in doing so.

He said: "The BBC is a broad church. Our strength in many ways lies in that diversity. We need distinctive and different voices but they cannot come at any price. Common to all at the BBC have to be standards of decency and respect.

"I cannot condone what has happened on this occasion. A member of staff - who is a completely innocent party - took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature.

"For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations.

Well, that's the end of Top Gear for me. Hopefully ITV or Sky will pick Clarkson, Hammond and May up for something similar.

I know this guy complaining about what happened to him was the right thing to do, but I can't stop thinking about how he's deprived this series from 350 million people rather than just resolving things quietly. Of course it's more Clarkson's fault... but this guy still had the power to do it this way and made the decision.

I wonder how May and Hammond feel. Of course they always said they wouldn't do it without him, but now they must be a bit disappointed that they've lost this amazing job.

I don't see how they can slot in another presenter with May and Hammond; I just can't imagine it would work.

Instead I think they'll have to have a bit of a reboot. Try something slightly different with a new line up, rather than trying to replace Clarkson (which they won't be able to do).

If anyone from the BBC is reading this, I'd be happy to give it a go.

I know this guy complaining about what happened to him was the right thing to do, but I can't stop thinking about how he's deprived this series from 350 million people rather than just resolving things quietly. Of course it's more Clarkson's fault... but this guy still had the power to do it this way and made the decision.

I wonder how May and Hammond feel. Of course they always said they wouldn't do it without him, but now they must be a bit disappointed that they've lost this amazing job.

Apparently it wasn't even the producer who reported the incident but Clarkson himself.

May said earlier that he feels the show wouldn't work without the chemistry of the 3 of them. I imagine him and Hammond won't renew their contracts. There is a rumour of them going to Netflix which would be awesome.

Well, that's the end of Top Gear for me. Hopefully ITV or Sky will pick Clarkson, Hammond and May up for something similar.

Such a daft decision.

Like you say, wouldn't be surprising at all for them to be picked up by somewhere like Sky. BBC have literally pissed away a good show over wanting to assert authority/some other reasons, such a silly decision.