Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

good stuff thread.

nightwolf

I know that I just don't like it :P

I've seen people spell it 'bord' down here (in Newcastle). Craziness.

The keyword in that sentence is 'Newcastle' - you guys spell/say 'Mum' as 'Mam'.

Good shit:

Just back from the pub. Met one of my best friends from schools girlfriend/girl he's seeing for the first time tonight. DOn't think I've ever met someone friendlier in my whole life. Seriously lovely girl. She was trying to 'matchmake' me with these 2 girls in the pub by telling me what to say. What she doesn't realise is that I'm a massive shitebag when it comes to chatting to girls in the pub when sober(ish) so I didn't bother (and also they really weren't great). Regardless, good wee pub night that I wasn't going to bother going to but glad I did!

Leaving my job at the end of the week for a small (< 1 week) break before college starts. Boss said he was very impressed with me and would highly recommend me, and if he had any odd programming jobs during the semester and I had some free time, he would pay me to do the jobs :) Nice to have the option of money when I need it.

"Mum" in the south, "mom" in the midlands and "mam" in the north (which, for the sake of simplicity, includes Ireland). Can we just accept it and move on rather than squabbling over which is correct? :heh:

Had a pleasant Sunday yesterday. Went round my housemate's parents for a BBQ lunch and me and her dad ended up drinking three bottles of wine between us.

"Mum" in the south, "mom" in the midlands and "mam" in the north (which, for the sake of simplicity, includes Ireland). Can we just accept it and move on rather than squabbling over which is correct? :heh:

Who the fuck says mom? (outside of America)

I say mum when I'm talking to her, but mam when I'm referring to her.

"Mum, come over here."

"Me mam said..."

Who the fuck says mom? (outside of America)

I say mum when I'm talking to her, but mam when I'm referring to her.

"Mum, come over here."

"Me mam said..."

Sarcy answer: did you not read what I wrote?

Less sarcy answer: its a Midlands dialect thing.

Had a pleasant Sunday yesterday. Went round my housemate's parents for a BBQ lunch and me and her dad ended up drinking three bottles of wine between us.

Erm, I'm from the north and I say mum..? I should really say mam given I'm from manchester, but it's always been that way.

Anyway, found a farm that has a beautiful house with two other people living in it, it's shared but it's got a huge lovely room with large double doors going out onto a field and an en-suite, really nice and it's still available. Going to go see it this week.

Hopefully more places turn up, wheee.

In the "north" (as in North Wales, Manchester, Stockport and Sheffield level of northerness) it's "Mum".

I've often found people from our shores use 'Mom' because they long to live the American way of life. My brother has visited the US every year for the past 5 tears and I regularly have to bitchslap him out of using the Americanised term for our mother. It's all the more curious when you consider the majority still say Mum, but they'll spell it Mom.

Jimmeny Christmas people:

for the sake of simplicity

I wasn't giving an exact town-by-town account of who says what and how, just illustrating the point that different places say the shortened form of "mother" in different ways and its such an overdone point.

Court claim for missing pay filed! I warned them, but did they listen? If they do decide to be dicks and dispute the claim and I'm forced to go to court, then I'll sue them for the defamation of character for that email (which I'll share with you all once the matter is settled - you'll enjoy it, it's hilarious what people will say to get out of paying you £200). At the end of the day, though, I just want the money I worked hard for. The most insulting thing is no so much the refusal to pay me, but thinking that I'll just let that slide. Unfortunately, they mistook me for some kind of wimp. Or possibly a charity.

I other, less exciting news, why can't I find even a simple shop/cleaning job? I'm looking at them as even if you don't factor in me not paying rent, I'd make more money doing them than teaching. Which makes little sense.